PDA

View Full Version : Which rackets to demo? (donnay, fischer, prince)

SpinningForehand
05-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hello, I am going to be demoing 4 rackets from tenniswarehouse as an upgrade to my prince o3 tour midsize, if i like any of them better that is. I'd self rate myself as a 4.5 player. I have a reliable 2 handed backhand with a lot of power, and a heavy, topspin semi western forehand which can be great, or terrible, and is always in development. I have a flat first serve that is on average 95mph, and a decent kick serve that is getting better and better, and more reliable. I am mostly a counterpuncher, and am very fast on the court, although I am trying to slowly learn to win using my own power and spin. I have been suffered from shoulder, wrist, and elbow pain in the past. The only strings I will use on my next racket are either signum pro poly plasma 17L, or tecnifibre x-1 biphase 17. I want my next racket to have great spin potential, a large sweetspot, be pretty comfortable and offer a crisp, clean feeling at contact, and not be too hard to swing because I am 5'6" 118 lbs, and not strong but not too weak. I would also want it to have some pretty good plow through. By the way, I do not add lead tape to my rackets, so keep that in mind that I will use the rackets in stock form unless I replace the grip with leather and a yonex supergrap which I often do if I don't like the grip it comes with. I need the racket to play solid itself in stock form.
Here are some rackets I am thinking about demoing from tw:

o3 speedport tour
donnay pro one oversize
donnay pro one international
Fischer M Pro Number One 98 SL
prince graphite longbody
prince graphite mid
prince nxg graphite oversize

If someone could compare the two donnays, or compare any of hte rackets or suggest certain rackets, or give thoughts on any of the rackets, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
05-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Prince original graphite oversized! nice frame and with some poly it would be awesome

fuzz nation
05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
TW doesn't offer demos of the Donnays as far as I know, but 2nd hand ones are around here and there at rather low prices. Sweet old school feel with moderate power and a bundle of spin potential in the midplus. It plays really nicely with Biphase in there, too.

You might not actually get more of what you want in a different racquet (your O3 Tour is pretty solid), but your lists of wants in a frame makes me think you ought to check out the NXG midplus. I string mine a couple of lbs. above the rec'd max for good behavior and this racquet delivers a great combo of pop, control, stability, and feel. I can get bananas kick on my serves with that NXG and it's rather headlight for easy handling.

SpinningForehand
05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
TW doesn't offer demos of the Donnays as far as I know, but 2nd hand ones are around here and there at rather low prices. Sweet old school feel with moderate power and a bundle of spin potential in the midplus. It plays really nicely with Biphase in there, too.

You might not actually get more of what you want in a different racquet (your O3 Tour is pretty solid), but your lists of wants in a frame makes me think you ought to check out the NXG midplus. I string mine a couple of lbs. above the rec'd max for good behavior and this racquet delivers a great combo of pop, control, stability, and feel. I can get bananas kick on my serves with that NXG and it's rather headlight for easy handling.

Actually they do allow demos for the donnays. I will add the NXG midplus to my demo list too then. Did you replace the grip on your nxg or use an overgrip? Thanks a lot for the reply.

RickX
05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
... I want my next racket to have great spin potential, a large sweetspot, be pretty comfortable and offer a crisp, clean feeling at contact, and not be too hard to swing because I am 5'6" 118 lbs, and not strong but not too weak. I would also want it to have some pretty good plow through....I need the racket to play solid itself in stock form.

That's a great line up of racquets you have chosen there. I've played with all of them, except for the Donnay Oversize. Judging by your criteria, I'd go with either the Prince Graphite LB or the Prince 03 Speedport Tour.

They're both excellent racquets, and will meet your needs I believe.

PROTENNIS63
05-13-2008, 03:20 AM
I would demo the Fischer and the Prince Graphite. And buy 1 Donnay since it is so cheap.