PDA

View Full Version : Is this crazy?

martin
05-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Just had an argument because i was ordering a racket and i asked if the new rackets which i bought could be made as close as possible as the demo that i had.
The guy said he never heard such a question and said it was nonsense as every racket is the same. He thought it was a ridiculous question.
What do you think?

PimpMyGame
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm wondering whether you asked the right question. Although I understand your point about slight spec differences from racket to racket, a salesperson would have no control over the manufacture of the rackets or indeed the individual specs of rackets in their warehouse.

I would have asked for a matched pair to be matched as closely as possible to the demo racket you were playing with. Unless you employ a bespoke company such as Bosworth to make your frames this will be as good as you can get.

So in short, yes I think your demand in the way it was presented was excessive. Sorry if you didn't want to hear that!

fuzz nation
05-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Sounds like the guy you spoke with got the other memo - the one that says "the customer is never right". Safe to say he was more of a capitalist than a racquet nerd - not such a big deal to try and match the strings on your new frame with the demo and maybe make an attempt to get the balance exactly the same... for a modest fee!

Fischer came up with the No Tolerance line because lots of frames of the same model don't come off the shelf with the same weight and balance. You're not crazy - you were talking to a knucklehead. Hope you feel better.

origmarm
05-13-2008, 07:50 AM
It sounds like maybe you confused him but it's more likely that he just had a limited understanding of racquets and was not aware of variations. Sounds like a bit of an idiot to me, one more reason to order from TW.

tfm1973
05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
if you are dealing with people who know racquets and tennis -- then your question was legit.

you most likely talked to someone who does not and they thought that all racquets of the same model are identical. sadly they are not.

had a friend weigh and measure 5 of my sticks. heaviest was 306 grams and the lightest was 299 grams. pretty significant difference.

samster
05-13-2008, 07:57 AM
if you are dealing with people who know racquets and tennis -- then your question was legit.

you most likely talked to someone who does not and they thought that all racquets of the same model are identical. sadly they are not.

had a friend weigh and measure 5 of my sticks. heaviest was 306 grams and the lightest was 299 grams. pretty significant difference.

I agree 7 grams is significant difference, though some nuts may disagree.

samster
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Just had an argument because i was ordering a racket and i asked if the new rackets which i bought could be made as close as possible as the demo that i had.
The guy said he never heard such a question and said it was nonsense as every racket is the same. He thought it was a ridiculous question.
What do you think?

?Ridiculous question. Did you ask for his supervisor?