PDA

View Full Version : "Lack of Pop" Good or Bad?

tfergus09
05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Does a lack of pop mean that a racquet is more control oriented making it a good frame or does it mean that no matter how fast you swing you cant get any speed on the ball?

Doc Hollidae
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Does a lack of pop mean that a racquet is more control oriented making it a good frame or does it mean that no matter how fast you swing you cant get any speed on the ball?

Lack of pop is most likely specific to the user, however it usually refers to a frame being too low powered for a player's taste. However, another player might consider the same racket that was said to "lack pop", to have more than enough power for their particular game.

tbini87
05-13-2008, 02:53 PM

i think it depends on who is saying it. most of the time, though, i think it means that the racquet is not powerful enough for whoever is using it. i think most people want at least a little "pop" so they can put away balls when needed. i think the latter meaning you wrote is how most people would use the term.

pow
05-13-2008, 05:58 PM
It's a preference thing that I find are obtained through your strings. Fresh poly strings especially you can feel and hear it. After awhile, it goes away. :(

I prefer having it (not too much, then it's uncontrollable) but not having it doesn't kill my game either.

groundstroke
05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I' reckon 'pop' is mostly string orientated rather than a frame thing, a lack of pop to me would indicate that perhaps the tension is too high for the player or perhaps the gut they are using is almost entirely control orientated...

fuzz nation
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
For me, a frame without much pop might seem especially dull when I volley, serve, or block a return of serve - this aspect is often associated with racquets that are more flexible. It can be better for control with my strokes because I can take a full swing and keep the ball down on the court. I like some pop in a good doubles frame and overall, if my racquet has less pop, I want it to have more heft so that it will go through the ball well.

And yes, it's a rather subjective thing.

Kirko
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM

lack of "pop" is not good. the racket you use should have this quality especially at the rec.level eg. get awy with bunting the ball sometimes or just guiding the ball the distance of the court with little effort.

Anton
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I love the "pop" I get out of my Redondo with all of it's 56 flex - its not so much a power reference as it is a firm, stable feel of the stringbed and the sound it makes.

anirut
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
^^
Agreed !!!

louis netman
05-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I'd rather have pop that I can control with spin at my disposal than not...

Tennisman912
05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
When I hear lack of pop, I assume that to mean you must supply your own power in the frame. While stringing can make a difference, I assume someone is talking about the inherent pop or power in the frame. That can be good or bad depending on you. For example a k95 has a lot of pop or power. A microgel prestige has much less pop and you must provide your own pace.

Which is a better racquet for you depends on you and you alone.

TM