PDA

View Full Version : Importance: Racquet vs. String

njjohan
05-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Just had a realisation:-

When my pure drive was strung somewhere between 60 and 65 (my coach isn't quite sure how tight he strung it), I hit every ball in with great power and spin. Two weeks or 5 hours later and balls are starting to fly again. The string is visibly looser. (I've heard that wilson ultra synthetic gut, which i used, is the pits when it comes to tension maintenance) So, hear's my question: is it worth shelling out $60 a month in stringing costs, or just getting a more control orientated racquet?

Cup8489
05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Just had a realisation:-

When my pure drive was strung somewhere between 60 and 65 (my coach isn't quite sure how tight he strung it), I hit every ball in with great power and spin. Two weeks or 5 hours later and balls are starting to fly again. The string is visibly looser. (I've heard that wilson ultra synthetic gut, which i used, is the pits when it comes to tension maintenance) So, hear's my question: is it worth shelling out $60 a month in stringing costs, or just getting a more control orientated racquet?

well i suggest a string that maintains tension better, and how much per string job does it cost you?

Nitro
05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
If its $60 in stringing costs per month you might consider a stringing machine and doing your own.

njjohan
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Quick reply! Hadn't really thought of that, but time is something I don't have a whole lot of, considering I've got a very labour intensive course lined up over the last two years of high school. I guess I was more trying to ask which influences control more, string and its tension, or racquet choice.

njjohan
05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
In response to cup, it costs 15 per restring for basic syngut, so I might try getting a string that maintains tension better considering I was (and am still) playing with cheapo string.

Cup8489
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
well i personally think it's worthwhile to get a string machine, just so that if you do continue playing with cheap string, it will cost you just the string price and nothing else. if you restring as much as you seemingly need to, you'll pay the machine off in no time, and it only takes an hour max once you get the hang of it to string a frame, especially when using a synthetic gut.

Doc Hollidae
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
The best solution for your situation is probably trying out different strings. The Pure Drive isn't known as a control racket, but if you like the way your racket feels you should just stick with it. It's better to mess with your string setup before looking to get a new racket. If you want to stick to cheap strings with longer playability, you could probably use Gosen OG Sheep Micro and get more playability out of the strings. Prince Syn Gut Duraflex would be slightly more expensive, but also an improvement upon the Wilson Syn Gut you were using.

obnoxious2
05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Go Kevlar on the mains. Instead of gettin it strung at sub 50. Get it around 53-54 lbs.

Doc Hollidae
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Go Kevlar on the mains. Instead of gettin it strung at sub 50. Get it around 53-54 lbs.

Kevlar has the worst tension maintenance possible.

basil J
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I agree with the Doc. Strings are as important as the frame. Try Gosen micro sheep, Klip basic synthetic gut is a great inexpensive synthetic or yonex 850 soft. They all hold tension fairly well and play very well for inexpensive strings. I use PSGD when play testin g frames because it is extremely consistent and has good playing properties and is cheap$$$.

miniRafa386
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
yeah i would buy a machine, if you string other peoples racquets, it'll pay for itself. i bought my gamma 5300 for $400, paid myself back in less than three weeks.

Bud
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Kevlar has the worst tension maintenance possible.

OK. I've heard others state this (which I disagree with) and i'd like someone to explain it... after reading what I'll state below.

How does a string, which has virtually zero stretch, have poor tension maintenance? If you've ever strung kevlar (especially using a drop weight machine), when the weight is released, regardless of the tension... the stuff does not stretch (the weight moves perhaps a millimeter, due to grommet friction). So, how is it... as kevlar shows no sign of stretching with 60-80 lbs on it... will tension be lost by playing with it in the racquet?

Shoot!

[K]Topspin
05-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Get some synthetic guts or poly. Those have excellent control. As for the racket, the pure drive is a special type of racket. It's control comes from your ability to use its spin. If you are a flat hitter, there will be almost no control.