PDA

View Full Version : Help with LM prestige mid please

Tour 90
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone, I haven't been on the boards for a long time and I doubt anyone knows/remembers me, but Id like your help because I know you guys know your stuff.

Alright, I have been playing happily for the past year with two lmp mids and all of a sudden, they no longer hold tension! Im stringing at 61 but a day or two later the tension goes fubar and it feels like 55... I can feel the difference (no im not skeptical, I dont want a problem with these sticks!) in tension at the beginning and the end of a 2 hour session of hitting or match play. I have concluded I need new grommets atm, hoping that the current ones are just going soft or something. Can anyone help me out? If the racquets are dieing (sp?), can anyone suggest some similar demos to give a shot?

Tour 90
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
anybody? I have come to the conclusion that my stringing method and/or my machine calibration is the cause of the problem, but it still feels good at first, then goes to hell in a day or two, just some quick advice would be much appreciated! :)

LanEvo
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
maybe u hit very hard? and the string loses tension? maybe the frame is cracked???

roger is the king
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
ya i have lm prestiges they are good not the racket check for cracks and use durable string and check...

Tour 90
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Its not cracked Im sure of that (did the test going around hitting the frame lightly with silverwear and the sound was the same throughout.)

I do hit hard but 61 lbs should not feel like 55 in two days...

has anyone ever had trouble with broken grommets or something? They dont sell the grommets anymore afaik, do the MG mid grommets fit?

Thanks!

drakulie
05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Tour 90, welcome back. It coudl be all sorts of things.

Have you recently switched the type of strings you use??

Perhaps your stringing machine needs to be recalibrated.

Perhaps the clamps aren't doing there job, and need to be replaced.

Has the weather where you live changed recently?? I find when the weather down here changes (more humid), the strings don't hold tension as well.

As you stated, perhaps it's the grommets, or the frames are going dead.

Good luck!

Tour 90
05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
hey drak, thanks man, Ive come to similar conclusions...

I think it may mostly because of climate change (70 degrees here now and was about 50 2 weeks ago.)

also my machine is about a year and a half old so it may need a tune up..

But I doubt the frames are dead, only had em a year (really hope they arent dead because I love them to death and my next choice (MGP mid) is not as, imo, controllable as the LMP's)

I know you have both the MG and the LM, would the grommets off the MG fit in the LM.. my grommets take a beating when I string so they might be messed up a bit

edit: Ive been using PSGD at around 60-63 for the last 6 months or so, so there should be no difference there :)

drakulie
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh yeah, definitely sounds like the change in weather.

Tour, not sure if the MG grommets will fit the LM. Although I have hit with the LM, I don't have one.

Do a quick search on the boards, and I'm sure you will find the answer. Specifcally, look for posts by onyxz28, michael chaho??, vsbabolat, pro tour 280???

Good luck.

Tour 90
05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
already done the search, considering the frames are the same mold Id be pretty confident that they'd fit... I guess my problem is related to a few little things, Im just glad the frames aren't soft or cracked afaik... thanks drak

nickb
05-15-2008, 02:29 AM
- Up your tension if the temp has got higher
- Clean your clamps
- Calibrate your machine

It cant be anything but the above...grommets dont affect string tension nor does the frame going "soft"..which I dont think happens anyway and is just some rumor on this board.

Nick

fuzz nation
05-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Just curious which strings you're putting in your frames - I played with them for a little while myself and it got way too interesting when the stringbed was too soft.

VikingSamurai
05-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Dude, I used to string mine like spaghetti and couldn't get any power out of them. I liked the frame at first but started to feel like a log that hit like a log.. Kinda why I have switched a few times since. . (yes everyone I know what you are thinking) and can I say, I am now stuck between the Aero Storm, and Pure Storm Tour..

I did use the MG Prestige mid+ for a bit and have found that the Pure Storm Tour has the exact same spec's other than string pattern. But the Pure Storm Tour kinda has the feel in the frame like a PS85, but has the extra power and spin of a modern day frame.. I am slowly leaning toward that over the Aero Storm, purely because for me, the balance is a little head light and the Aero Storm is a tad head heavy..

Tour 90
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
thanks guys, I am stringing it with PSGD @ 61 atm. I will calibrate and up the tension, I also bought some MG Mid grommets just to make sure...

SlapShot
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I've found that PSGD loses tension REALLY fast. I get 3-4 hours at most before it starts to feel sloppy. I've been trying new strings (in a FXP Prestige MP), but I've found nothing that feels similar to PSGD yet.