PDA

View Full Version : I broke the frame... now what.

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
So.... I remember reading that it was good to hold your racket pretty low on the grip was good in terms of generating power and fast racket speed, so I tried it today. I must have done really well, because I tried serving, and the racket flew out of my hands on follow through and landed on the ground. The frame's now bent, cracked, and I busted some strings. What are my options?

JonoTheMuffinMan
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Time for a new racquet.

samster
05-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Time to order a new one (or two), that's what I would do.

Banks
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
do what samster said... and pics too

AmeliasDad
05-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe you should retire... j/k time to breakout the visa and spend some cash. Don't think of this as the end of your racquet but the beginning of your new racquets.

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Lol, sure I'll take a picture. I had already been planning on ordering another racket, so I went ahead and busted all the strings to see just how fubared the frame was. It's completely split lol. I'll post a pic at some point in the near future.

10sfreak
05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
So.... I remember reading that it was good to hold your racket pretty low on the grip was good in terms of generating power and fast racket speed, so I tried it today. I must have done really well, because I tried serving, and the racket flew out of my hands on follow through and landed on the ground. The frame's now bent, cracked, and I busted some strings. What are my options?
I don't think I really understand the question. Are you really asking if you can repair the racquet?:confused: If so, the answer would be, uh, NO!

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
I really didn't think so, I was just bummed because it was my first racket I ever got, and I really liked it, and it's only like... 2 and a half months old lol.

Northpaw
05-13-2008, 07:48 PM
So, if your grip slipped, its probably because your hand was sweating enough to make your grip slick, or you could have just not been holding the racket tightly enough (haha~). Either way, I would suggest getting a nice, tacky overgrip for your racket so your hand slips less. I personally cannot play without an overgrip because the grip underneath is so slick that my hand slips on literally every shot. I personally use Wilson Pro Overgrip. You'll find that its one of the more popular overgrips out there.

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay, take this with a grain of salt because I really just don't understand rackets at all (They're the things that hit the tennis balls, right?)

I really like playing with my grip where it's at now, which is 4 1/8 I believe. That came stock with the racket, and I don't wanna put an overgrip on it because I don't want it to feel uncomfortable in my hand. Are there other options?

lilxjohnyy
05-13-2008, 08:07 PM
well u could just keep breaking rackets ... or try the tacky towel... never used it myself

kwisatch
05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
You might be able to get a replacement for free under warranty. Wilson is usually good about this (even though it's the owner's fault). I'm not sure about other brands.

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, considering the damage to the racket was due to my own error (I don't think the warranty covers throwing it on the ground), and I don't have the receipt, I don't think that's the best option. For the record, it was a Head TiS1.

Cup8489
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, considering the damage to the racket was due to my own error (I don't think the warranty covers throwing it on the ground), and I don't have the receipt, I don't think that's the best option. For the record, it was a Head TiS1.

wow, only 2 1/2 months old? where'd you buy it? those have been long gone from the market, i thought.

The Home Run Kid
05-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I bought it at a dicks sporting goods (in case they censor d i c k s), guess they don't update their inventory. It was pretty cheap though, 60 bucks.

quest01
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
If you broke a racquet the only logical choice would be to buy another racquet and also include some over grips in your order.

[K]Topspin
05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Get a new racket. Since the racket slipped during your swinging motion, get a grip that is tacky. If you don't want to use an overgrip, use babolat syntec grip. Very tacky.

klementine79
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Sawdust. Effervescent sawdust.

NotAtTheNet
05-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Okay, take this with a grain of salt because I really just don't understand rackets at all (They're the things that hit the tennis balls, right?)

I really like playing with my grip where it's at now, which is 4 1/8 I believe. That came stock with the racket, and I don't wanna put an overgrip on it because I don't want it to feel uncomfortable in my hand. Are there other options?

4 1/8? Umm if i remember correctly from your vids, you're a big dude (baseball player right?). I'm 6' 175 lbs, and I use 4 3/8. Unless you have obscenely tiny hands, you're at least 2 sizes too small. I'd ask a local pro to see what grip size you should be using or just TW's guide http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/Gripsize/Gripsize.html
Good luck and go get back on the court ASAP.

symon_say
05-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Use some epoxy, glue it, and do a custom paint job of what your ideal raquet color will be and put it in your bedroom.

meowmix
05-14-2008, 11:11 AM
You should be able to get a replacement. I'm pretty sure Head has a one year warranty on all rackets. It doesn't matter that you don't have the receipt, you just need to prove you did indeed buy it from Dicks within the last year. If you have some kind of bar code, they can look it up on your credit card.

Nuke
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I just did that myself on Saturday during the warmup. Went for a big whippy topspin and the racquet flew 20 feet. My fault -- new Tournagrip and it was still bone dry, so not at all tacky yet. That stuff doesn't really work until it gets a little wet. The racquet has some road rash and a missing paint chip, but it's still playable.

Bubba
05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
You might be able to get a replacement for free under warranty. Wilson is usually good about this (even though it's the owner's fault). I'm not sure about other brands.

Wrong. Frame guarantees do not cover damage inflicted by the owner.

Bubba
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
You should be able to get a replacement. I'm pretty sure Head has a one year warranty on all rackets. It doesn't matter that you don't have the receipt, you just need to prove you did indeed buy it from Dicks within the last year. If you have some kind of bar code, they can look it up on your credit card.

Guarantees DO NOT cover damage like this... they are for material craftsmanship... not for inflicted damage.

The Home Run Kid
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
4 1/8? Umm if i remember correctly from your vids, you're a big dude (baseball player right?). I'm 6' 175 lbs, and I use 4 3/8. Unless you have obscenely tiny hands, you're at least 2 sizes too small. I'd ask a local pro to see what grip size you should be using or just TW's guide http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/Gripsize/Gripsize.html
Good luck and go get back on the court ASAP.

See everyone else I know uses these massive grips, and I'd just rather keep it thin, because it feels more comfortable (like a bat) to me.

The Home Run Kid
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Pictures of the carnage...

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/andialwayswill37/000_0001.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/andialwayswill37/000_0002.jpg

Steve Huff
05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I have small hands, and I use a 4 1/2. Too small a grip with force you to grip tighter. You'll eventually end up with tennsi elbow (higher chance of it anyway). Get a pro to measure your hand. Use the right grip.

NotAtTheNet
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I have small hands, and I use a 4 1/2. Too small a grip with force you to grip tighter. You'll eventually end up with tennsi elbow (higher chance of it anyway). Get a pro to measure your hand. Use the right grip.

Ditto, plus you don't want to be holding a death grip on your racquet and if you don't, and you miss the sweet spot when you finally hit with some pace is the racquet is going to spin in your hand. Trust me 3/8 or 1/2 is definitely not "massive". As a compromise, find a a shop or find what your grip size is and buy 1 size smaller. If later you start finding that the grip is too small and we were all right, all you need to do is add a thick overgrip.

symon_say
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Pictures of the carnage...

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/andialwayswill37/000_0001.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/andialwayswill37/000_0002.jpg

Ypu didnt throw your raquet you give it to your pitbull.

PimpMyGame
05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't know, looks salvageable to me lol

ndtennis
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Send it back to the company. they might replace it. If not get a different racket

Nellie
05-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Dude - Go back to Sports Authority and get another racquet.

gogeta087
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Hot damn thats....wow.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
omg the racquet looks like it can take a beating, but i guess not from a strong guy like you ;)

p.s. im not gay...

The Home Run Kid
05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Ditto, plus you don't want to be holding a death grip on your racquet and if you don't, and you miss the sweet spot when you finally hit with some pace is the racquet is going to spin in your hand. Trust me 3/8 or 1/2 is definitely not "massive". As a compromise, find a a shop or find what your grip size is and buy 1 size smaller. If later you start finding that the grip is too small and we were all right, all you need to do is add a thick overgrip.

The new racket I got is a 4 1/2. That might still be a little small, but I can always buy an overgrip... it's definitely beefier lol.

autumn_leaf
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
wow...are you sure you just threw the racquet? what are you the incredible hulk??!?!!? that thing is destroyed!!

The Home Run Kid
05-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, the "throw" was more of a drop on my follow through, which means the racket had some downward velocity already, which means it was moving faster than gravity alone could take it, and it did land right on the top of the head.

kerxny
05-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Some duct tape oughta fix it.