PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight of K90 Tour

mishin900
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
It's kinda long story to read so you can just read last several sentences to see what I'm asking :)
I just got K90 Tour, K95 18x20, and MG Prestige Mid Demo rackets. I went out and hit ground strokes and serves for 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm not using customized TF335 that weighs about 370g and has a swingweight of approx. 340 I believe. Although I liked my friend's FXP Prestige Mid, I didn't like the feel that I got from MG Prestige Mid. It was way too light because I'm using my custimzed TF335 and I really hated the grip shape (which I can change if I want). MG Prestige Mid had nothing superior than TF335 to me. Next, I hit with K95 18x20. I thought it would be too powerful to me because it had thicker beam width. However, it wasn't that powerful compared to my TF335. My serves got some more pop since K95 has some firmed backbone than TF335. and I really liked the grip shape (yay!). The last one, K90 Tour, I was really excited to use this one. Before I started serving with it, I hit some groundstrokes with it and I was surprised how much bite it gave me. I was hitting as usual with semi-western grip and I just got the amount of spin that I never got from other rackets. Two-handed backhand was also pretty good, but I just couldn't hit well with it for some reason (had no problem with MG Prestige Mid). And then I started serving with this stick and I was surprised again how unmanuverable it was. I just don't understand how I can swing the heck out of my TF335 and other rackets that are heavier than K90 Tour. I'm sure it will give some pop because it is fairly stiff, but I just couldn't move it around although I knew that it's only about 360g and the swingweight of it is 336 according to TW information. Is this what other people also felt about K90 Tour? Feeling a lot heavier than it's spec? Also, does this one come originally with foam inside the handle? I never knew that :shock:

p.s. I still love my TF335 (maybe because I customized it to my taste)

mishin900
05-13-2008, 08:05 PM
come on.. 31 views and no reply? Is it the title that doesn't really match what;s in it?

[d]ragon
05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
u probably werent used to the weight/swingweight but if u give it some time, it will pay big dividends on the serve.

stormholloway
05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Well the K90 is still the hardest to swing obviously, despite the customizations. It's a demanding frame.

What racquets are you talking about that are heavier than the K90 tour? It's the heaviest racquet on the current market.

mishin900
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Well the K90 is still the hardest to swing obviously, despite the customizations. It's a demanding frame.

What racquets are you talking about that are heavier than the K90 tour? It's the heaviest racquet on the current market.

The one that has the biggest differnece in weight is my TF335. It used to weigh 380g and I reduced it to 370g to change balance. K90 still feels like it swings heavier than my TF335 when it was 380g. I can understand people saying that K90 is a demanding frame but I think the spec and how the racket feels doesn't really match.

stormholloway
05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Forget the specs. Go on feel. Leave the mystery behind and just select what you like.

I'm surprised I've never tried the TF335. I like the specs.

baek57
05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
the k95 felt much heavier than the k90 to me.

[K]Topspin
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
It is a very demanding racket. But once you get the hang of it, theres nothing better.

mishin900
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Forget the specs. Go on feel. Leave the mystery behind and just select what you like.

I'm surprised I've never tried the TF335. I like the specs.

Okay. I'm just gonna try to get used to K90 more tomorrow or today afternoon.

TF335 is a good racket. I can recommend people to try :)

mishin900
05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
the k95 felt much heavier than the k90 to me.

Well then I guess it's just the feel of the racket :)

mishin900
05-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Topspin;2331552']It is a very demanding racket. But once you get the hang of it, theres nothing better.

ooh I see your signature.. u're using K90!
I like my TF335 better but I'm still gonna try to get used to the feel of K90 :)

samster
05-14-2008, 05:27 AM
I suspect it will take some time to get adjusted to the K90. It is a demanding frame but I find that when I am fresh and focused, I hit the heaviest shots with it. The other day when I was a little tired, I didn't play nearly as well with it.

Bubba
05-14-2008, 06:14 AM
I have 6 K90's and love them... played (and still do) with them as my primary stick... just no substitute. HOWEVER, it is demanding and the swing weight can get a bit much later in a match. Add to this that server are difficult to really create pop and it's less maneuverable at the net...

Therefore, I purchased a frame very close in spec to the K90 and am using it as well... the RDS-001... it's a fantastic frame. The swing weight is slightly lower than the K90, as is static weight... but it is really a fantastic option to the K90.

Great on serve - control and spin are great... good pop, plow through, and a terrific stick at the net.

Give it a try.

Bottle Rocket
05-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm sure it will give some pop because it is fairly stiff, but I just couldn't move it around although I knew that it's only about 360g and the swingweight of it is 336 according to TW information. Is this what other people also felt about K90 Tour? Feeling a lot heavier than it's spec?

The problem, as some others have hinted at, is believing too much into the TW specs. I believe that they actually measured those specs, but that says nothing about the sticks being sold or used as demos right now. I have probably held 6 different K90's and have also owned a few. The specs were different on all of them. Every single one that I owned weighed significantly more than Wilson's specs as well as having a significantly higher swing weight and balance point. It's a quality control issue, but somehow, I have never heard of one on the "light" side.

I've got a K95 "X" that most likely has a swingweight in the high 340's (TW published specs are 360) and the K90 I just sold was significantly heavier to swing. I've also got a K95 18X20 which seems to be spot on spec-wise.

So yeah, they do feel significantly heavier than spec.