PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Radical Oversize VS Prince Graphite Classic Oversize POG

dreydey
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I recently decided to get a new racquet I have been playing tennis for about 10 years since i was about sixteen, now i am 26 the last racquet i had was the ti radical oversize which i loved and had for a long time.

so for the heck of it i decided to demo some new racquets from TW, i am used to 107 oversize racquets so i am limited i dont like anything smaller or bigger in head size than that, i am about a 4.5 player. so i went ahead and tried out the head flexpoint oversize cause i heard god things about it, and head micro-gel oversize, and head metallix 4 which was the worst racquet i ever played with,

I fell in love with the micro-gel radical oversize it felt great i loved the racquet it was love at first sight, i loved the way it played, i felt it improved my serve. so i went ahead and ordered 3 of them, strung it with luxilon Big Banger ALU 16L at 59 tension. i got the racquets played with them and i did not really love them as much as i thought i mean do not get me wrong it is a great stick but i want more power, it does not feel like a powerful racquet for its weight

so what i wanted to know is that the only other really OS racquet left is the Prince Graphite Classic Oversize that i have not demoed which i probably should have tried before i bought the micro-gel i want to try it what do you guys think being a head radical guy, is this a great racquet to compare with what i have had in the past,i have heard many great things with this racquet.... i just am upset because i already spent about $600 now i will spend another $400 for the prince if i like it..

has anyone demoed the micro-gel then noticed the love for it is gone, its weird kind of hard to explain, i do not really like changing racquets, i usually have 3 at the same time because i play a lot of tournaments during the summer season so i will have to spend more money for the prince and i am afraid to demo it cause then if i like it i will end up just have wasted $600 on the micro-gel and i just got them in april..i regret not demoing the prince before i got the microgel, i know i like the micro gel alot more than the ti radical and pretty much all the other racquets i have ever owned, its just in the back of my head that i would like the Prince Graphite Classic Oversize More... A.K.A POG

any advice would be great thanks everyone

dreydey
05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
i appreciate any advice guys, worst case is that maybe i wont like the prince graphite classic oversize then everything is okay but if i do then i t sucks cause i have to buy 3 more new racquets

Tennis_Perfectus
05-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Here are a couple more 107 or so headsize racquets for your list: :twisted:

(In alphabetical order by manufacturer's name)

Babolat Pure Drive 107 with Cortex
Blackburne Double Strung 107
Dunlop AeroGel 600
Dunlop AeroGel 700
Fisher M Pro No.1 105
Head Microgel Extreme Team OS
Head FlexPoint Instict Team
Prince 03 Hybrid Hornet OS
Prince 03 Hybrid Shark OS
Prince 03 SpeedPort Red
Prince 03 Tour OS
Wilson [K]Blade Team
Wilson [K]Five 108
Wilson [K]Sting
Volkl DNX4
Yonex RQS 33

dreydey
05-14-2008, 01:08 AM
are those racquets available right now or discontinued i did not see them i went to racquet search and searched racquets with a 107 head size, thanks

Tennis_Perfectus
05-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Keep your Radicals for a while. Play around with the string setups a little bit. Demo the POG if you must because it really helps to get those "What If?" thoughts outside your head. Most likely you're gonna prefer your Radicals, but if you really like the PGC OS better, then sell your sticks or trade them for PGC OS's.

or you can always just slog through the list I gave of 107 sq inch headsize or so racquets until you find what you like....

Tennis_Perfectus
05-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Most of them should still be available now. Maybe for the Prince 03 ones you might have to substitute thier SpeedPort versions, and maybe some online stores are out of FlexPoint Instinct Team frames but I doubt it. The list I have there are the more recent frames.

*LOL check out the Blackburne, that's a fun one if you're a stringer. :)

dreydey
05-14-2008, 01:21 AM
You make a good point, i think i will demo the POG, i have nothing to lose i guess, i hope i like the radicals more, which i think i probably will, cause i am not used to using a stick like the POG , i appreciate it and there is a lot more than i thought in the oversize version... thank you

dreydey
05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I will try those racquets

dreydey
05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
does anyone think i will Like the POG

GPB
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I like the Liquid Metal Radical OS much much better than the Microgel...

icorp
05-15-2008, 12:15 PM
The loss of power appears to be from the Luxilon strings. Poly strings are lower in power compared to synthetic gut. Find out what kind of demo strings you tried and start there.

StunLock
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
jsut to stir things up more, why dont you add the tw donnay os and the head agassi radical (hey arent you a head radical guy ;) ) to your demo list? if you happen to like one of these, it'll be a cheaper solution for you. received my POG and swung it in my room, man, this thing is like a club (in a good way), strangely it actually felt less hh than the agassi radical. cant wait to play with it...

Bengt
05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
does anyone think i will Like the POG

If you can handle the weight on the serve and OHBH (if that's what you use) then you should like it. Early preparation is essential with this racquet. The weight gives it good power and great plow-thru and stability. It's not one of the most popular racquets of all-time for nothing. It's a cinch to string, too.

dreydey
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I just got the demo today I'm at work so I won't he able to try it till probably Saturday but I'm exited and at the same time depressed because if I like it the n I have to sell the microgels and buy the prince graphite

Bengt
05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
One of the biggest differences may be the grip shape. The POG has a very rounded shape (better for western grip) whereas I hear Heads are more rectangular (which I like better for serves).

dreydey
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the info let's keep this thread going great advice also

dreydey
05-15-2008, 10:58 PM
i received the POG demo and it feels much heavier than the micro-gel, i dont think ive ever hit with something this heavy, it does feel stiff compared to the micro-gel, the micro-gel seems flexible, maybe thats cause its light, it feels like this racquet you have prepare earlier for the hit cause its heavy i dont think i will serve as good with this racquet as i did with the micro-gel, its just that i like the heavy weight it feels good in my hand, the lighter micro-gel feels much lighter and flimsier, guess i will have to hit with it, if i like it i will buy 4 of them, before the racquet is sold out, by the way does anyone know if this racquet is gonna be discontinued thanks.

dreydey
05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
i wanted to know still does anyone think i will like the POG or the Radical More let me know guys come on dont be shy

dreydey
05-16-2008, 02:40 PM
need advice guys keep the thread going

dreydey
05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
it looks like Microgel is getting votes, what is the reason you like the microgel more guys, please let me know thanks

dreydey
05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Come on guys and girls dont be shy

dreydey
05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
People that are voting for the microgel let me know why you would prefer the microgel over the POG

rockbox
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I've used to play with the POG(still have a 4 stripe) and prefer it to the Radical. However the radical is much more arm friendly and has more power. It also has a bigger sweet spot.

dreydey
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM
what do u play with now if i may ask , and thanks for advice

dreydey
05-18-2008, 02:13 AM
well i tried out the POG demo it was heavy i felt it hurt my arm, but i felt the ball hit harder and serve was faster so i went back to my head microgel OS and i played better with it of course but i think thats because im not use to the POG , i am so confused i dont know , should i buy a POG just to have one please help guys

dreydey
05-18-2008, 02:03 PM
what should i do everyone, should i just buy a POG to have one let me know

JSF1
05-19-2008, 09:05 AM
I think you should cut the strings on one of the radicals and put in a basic multifilament and see if that gives you the more power, or at least a starting point. If you like polys, you could try a string job with cyberpower and see how that works. I use a HPS 6.1 with Cyberflash and OG Sheep, but when I tried the Cyberpower, I noticed a bit more pop on volleys and groundstrokes.

dreydey
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
thanks i really appreciate it

bluetrain4
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
The Radical OS and POG OS are so different that it's going to be hard to make any great comparison. They are about 1.2 oz different in weight, which is huge.

The current POG sold on TW is heavy and the SW is higher than previous versions. I think it's great, but it's not for everyone.

If you want something more weighty than the Radical OS, but less demanding than the POG OS, I'd recommend the Donnay Pro One OS. Similar to POG specs, but more flexible and a substantially lighter swingweight, both of which will make it much more arm friendly.

patrick kelly mccarthy
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Someone said:

"I like the Liquid Metal Radical OS much much better than the Microgel..."

My comment:

I also find more stability and inertia exists in the older Liquid Metal Intelligence OS . . . more weight around the perimiter . . . for more stable and accurate (no)-punch punch-shots . . . either at the net or off the deck. The entire racquet-surface is more evenly balance . . . the racquet is heavier too. All in all, due overall great to balance and weight and tight string pattern, the hits with this racquet are very consistent and it is a great control racquet . . . not a great spin racquet . . . but not bad either . . . depends more on the user's style than the racquet.

In my experience, the Microgel is more manueverable than the heavier Radical Intelligence . . . but if you hit consistently in the sweet spot . . . you will have a greater ease in responding to quick and fast volleys. The perimeter hits of the microgel can let you down though . . . at first . . . until you get used to . . . if you can. My hits get better daily with this racquet.

One thing that bugged me in switching from the Head Radical Intelligence OS to the Microgel Radical OS was that some of my soft punch shots would sail out on me. I hit the ball with a flat, minimal spin, swing on a lot of my shots.

It 'seems' that the Microgel Radical OS has some extra-sweet sweet-spots, such as near the throat of the racqet, which hit the ball with even more solidity than the iRadical (Intelligence Radical) . . . which can affect the overall ability of the player to control the racquet.

I'm still waiting to see if my automatic response system (my subconscience) is going to be able to adapt to this apparent weakness in the un-balanced balance of the racquet. I'm too used to having a balanced racquet that hits the same all over.

I like the manueverability of the Microgel so much that I'm really going to give it a try at seeing if it will work for me over time. Though it is weaker on perimeter hits than the iRadical OS, it is a very solid hitting racquet and so manueverable that I'm going to keep swinging it for a while . . . and as I said . . . so far . . . I'm hitting better with it every day. That is the sign of a good racquet to me.

GOD Bless you and us all in our tennis and sportsmanship.