PDA

View Full Version : is this a crack?

jjordache
05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7770/crackfg2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ my stringer thinks so... looks more like a flesh wound to me but I don't have experience with this kind of stuff. It's at 1 o'clock on the frame btw.

On a related subject, can anyone comment on the durability of these i.Prestige frames ? I recently picked up two in what I think to be very good condition and I'm planning to play with them for a while but the same stringer told me these have a very short lifespan.

Banks
05-13-2008, 09:59 PM
if its holding tension and not deforming then i wouldnt worry about it. most cracks are pretty devastating.

klementine
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
If it still plays than go for it. It does seem to be superficial, if it was bad or a 'real' crack then it would more than likely spread through the width of the frame after stringing.

IPrestige, quality frame. If it was a new babolat or wilson, it would already be in the trash can, if it is a crack, but I dont think so. Looks like a scrape. Picture is not that telling.

LanEvo
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
looks like a paint scratch tho i maybe wrg, if u could get better pics thatd be great

jjordache
05-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm not too concerned about it, it doesn't seem to vibrate more than the other one and it doesn't hurt my arm. Doesn't look deformed either, but I'm not the best person to spot these things...
Also, the area is not rough at the edges at all so I do believe is just a blemish... but the stringer insisted so that's why I'm asking here too.

Sorry, that's the best picture I was able to get, my camera is not that great in macro mode.

klementine
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Yep, thats a crack. A shame too, thats a great frame.

dunlop kid
05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7770/crackfg2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

^^^ my stringer thinks so... looks more like a flesh wound to me but I don't have experience with this kind of stuff. It's at 1 o'clock on the frame btw.

On a related subject, can anyone comment on the durability of these i.Prestige frames ? I recently picked up two in what I think to be very good condition and I'm planning to play with them for a while but the same stringer told me these have a very short lifespan.

Tell your stringer to look harder.Theres no way thats a crack.

vwfye
05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
if there is a crack anywhere in the frame, it will buzz/vibrate/feel unstable when you let it gently bounce off of the ground in your loose grip.

jjordache
05-13-2008, 11:42 PM
if there is a crack anywhere in the frame, it will buzz/vibrate/feel unstable when you let it gently bounce off of the ground in your loose grip.

Yes, I tried that before and it feels very similar to the second one I have.
OK, so most probably it is superficial.

Any other opinions are welcome!

goakka
05-14-2008, 05:29 AM
If he has already restrung the racquet then its just a scratch. he was just covering his a## in informing you before he strings, because if it is a crack it will get worse as he is stringing it.

it's what I do

Bubba
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Looks to be a crack of the clear coat paint... however, just to make sure it's not a frame crack I would pull off the grommets and see what's under - it looks like your 'crack' extends under the grommets. IF, and I say IF, the 'crack' runs to a grommet hole then I would say pretty definitely that it IS a full blown crack. If it just runs straight and doesn't persist too far under the grommet then I would say it's a 'surface crack/scratch' in the paint and you should be fine.

Have fun. In any case... if it's a real crack, a couple of hard overheads will deliver you the truth.

Nellie
05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
My i.prestiges are still good after 6 years. lots of paint chips, but the play is still strong.

dabudabuda
05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Looks to be a crack of the clear coat paint... however, just to make sure it's not a frame crack I would pull off the grommets and see what's under - it looks like your 'crack' extends under the grommets. IF, and I say IF, the 'crack' runs to a grommet hole then I would say pretty definitely that it IS a full blown crack. If it just runs straight and doesn't persist too far under the grommet then I would say it's a 'surface crack/scratch' in the paint and you should be fine.

Have fun. In any case... if it's a real crack, a couple of hard overheads will deliver you the truth.

Yes.......

jjordache
05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
My i.prestiges are still good after 6 years. lots of paint chips, but the play is still strong.

good to hear that, thanks for the heads up!

jjordache
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM

The thing is, I just replaced the grommets before this stringing job and didn't notice anything significant! I saw this scratch and dismissed it as superficial but I didn't think to look if it extends under the CAP :oops:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't go all the way to a grommet hole, that I think would have caught my attention for sure...

If he has already restrung the racquet then its just a scratch. he was just covering his a## in informing you before he strings, because if it is a crack it will get worse as he is stringing it.

Yes, it got restrung and I already played with it... doesn't vibrate or anything, I have new strings in a fairly new racquet for me so I'm not completely in tune with how it should feel but now I'm 99% sure it's nothing to worry about (for the moment).
Next time when I need to restring I'll just poke underneath the CAP and see if it really extends there.

feyya
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
i'd put half my soul on the fact that that is not a crack, if that helps to relieve you of stress. Believe me i've cracked many,many (racquets/rackets).:)

Leoboomanu
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Change your stringer... He knows nothing! jk

Cracks usually show themselves with jagged paint chips... The paint cracks this way if there is damage underneath...

A straight paint scrape is what it is: a paint scrape...

Minor cracks can survive 50lbs tensions, slice serves... But it won't survive a mishit smash...

Peace