PDA

View Full Version : O3 Speedport Pro White as "Arm Friendly"?

jon44
05-14-2008, 03:34 AM
After an initial outing, I loved the way this racquet feels. And to me, it plays a lot more comfortably than the POG OS, which felt kind of harsh... My questions come from the fact that the O3 has a higher "stiffness" rating than the POG OS, and there seems to be such a huge consensus that a stiffer racquet puts you at more risk for arm problems.

So, I'm wondering:

-- How accurate are these racquet stiffness ratings?
-- Does "stiffness" take into account the effects of the speedport?
-- For certain arm issues (mine is a torn ligament in my wrist), could stability be more important than vibration absorption (and the other benefits you get from a more flexi frame)

Any input appreciated,

Jon

MaOira
05-14-2008, 04:19 AM
The stiffness rating does not take into account the O ports. A RDC machine measures the flex of the racquet from the a certain point on the racquet, i believe around the throat or balance point. I'm not 100% precise, so someone please correct me. All the O ports do is dampen the string bed significantly, which is why most people don't get the "feel" on O3 and Speedports as they would on other racquets. So whilst most O3 racquets are stiffer, the O ports still provide the arm friendliness that some seek.

travlerajm
05-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Stiffness rating is a static measurement, so it doesn't take into account the effects of weight distribution on the dynamic stiffness during impact.

The new POG OS is 12 oz and 5 pts head light, while the O3 White is only 11 oz but also 5 pts headlight. Since the swingweights are almost the same, it means that the POG OS has roughly an extra ounce in the frame's throat region or midsection. This extra weight in in the middle of the frame makes the POG frame much more resistant to bending at ball impact, even though the static stiffness is lower.

In general, racquets with more polarized weight distributions (Like the O3 frames) will feel softer at impact relative to less polarized frames of comparable stiffness.

Nellie
05-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I tried a POG os and found it to be harsh on my wrist.

I have a Speedport Black, and it is very comfortable with the port holes. Less comforable with the string holes.

jon44
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I tried a POG os and found it to be harsh on my wrist.

Interesting. I'm curious as to whether it was harsh in the sense of taking away from your enjoyment of hitting, or harsh in the sense of aggravating, or initiating, a wrist injury? (Fine distinction, I know, but in my own case, I'm wondering if they are the same.)

Racket-Junkie
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
all the 03 rackets are very arm friendly, you lose a lot if the feel of a classic racket, but you can grip them and rip them all day long without hurting your arm. Still have to be careful about tight poly/Kevlar but if you are using a multi or nat gut your arm feels like it is wrapped in a pillow while playing. The real benefit is that, while OTB companies have comfy rackets, they are all pretty low powered compared to the 03/ozone lines. If a pd is too harsh the white, black, red, or blue might be perfect while still giving you tons of power. Pro kennix and Becker also make armftiendly frames but the only non low powered option is the Becker pro (which is comparable to the white).

Nellie
05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Interesting. I'm curious as to whether it was harsh in the sense of taking away from your enjoyment of hitting, or harsh in the sense of aggravating, or initiating, a wrist injury? (Fine distinction, I know, but in my own case, I'm wondering if they are the same.)

I meant that I have no wrist problems, but my wrist hurt after hitting with this racquet. I have never had this problem with other racquets of greater weight/stiffness so I cannot say the cause.