PDA

View Full Version : aerogel deteriorating? (i know its been asked)

[d]ragon
05-14-2008, 09:17 PM
i know its been asked before but im just seeing if theres an update. like if anyone has continued using their aerogels and recently noticed any decrease in playability

vndesu
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
i had used the ag for half a year.
after loving it the first day it just suddenly sucked.
my play style was the same but the feel and power dropped for me.

thats why i switched to a n90 and k90.
people might not feel it but i kno i did

LanEvo
05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
if there is a decrease in ag playability then thats why the mfils are better

Tennisguy777
05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
This is just a theory some dope started a long time ago. In that case everyone should beware of the Head microgels too. Its thin layers of aerogel not actual gel like hair gel that would leak out or something. It's all marketing, people just don't get it. Bottom line is all these racquets are mostly graphite if not entirely don't let the PJ fool you. I bet half the people on these boards couldn't tell the difference between a K factor PJ ncode and a real k factor in terms of playability.

K-LEG
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM
This must be a joke right? Aerogel doesn't leak. It's a solid. And did you know that Aerogel is about as or even more expensive than gold? So you may wonder, why does the Dunlop Aerogel 200 racquet cost only $150.00 if there's Aerogel in it? Well the answer is because the amount of Aerogel in the racquet is so small it's in nano units. Basically, it's just a marketing scam, sort of. All I know is that when I'm looking for a racquet I don't care if there's Aerogel, Microgel, or hair gel in it. All I care about is which one suits my game best!

So my answer is no, there is absolutely no decrease in playability over time. I'm very happy with my Dunlop Aerogel 200 racquet.

Bud
05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
ragon;2334943']i know its been asked before but im just seeing if theres an update. like if anyone has continued using their aerogels and recently noticed any decrease in playability

I accidentally hit mine on the court and the Aerogel started oozing out. It wasn't pretty! :mad:

HeadPrestige
05-14-2008, 11:49 PM
I accidentally hit mine on the court and the Aerogel started oozing out. It wasn't pretty! :mad:

i think i was there.... your racket self destructed afterwards correct?

BreakPoint
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
ragon;2334943']i know its been asked before but im just seeing if theres an update. like if anyone has continued using their aerogels and recently noticed any decrease in playability
Yeah, but it's because of my injury and not the racquet. I actually think my Aerogel racquet has gotten BETTER over time.

JMBenson
05-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the comic relief... I just about had coffee coming out my nose!:)

Anton
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM

"playability"?

Over time the rackets get more flexy and lose a bit of stiffness - to some that would add to "playability"

[d]ragon
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
This must be a joke right? Aerogel doesn't leak. It's a solid. And did you know that Aerogel is about as or even more expensive than gold?

question was "deteriorate" not "leak." i know that aerogel is a solid. and they probably use small amounts of it.

"Pressing softly on an aerogel typically does not leave a mark; pressing more firmly will leave a permanent dimple. Pressing firmly enough will cause a catastrophic breakdown in the sparse structure, causing it to shatter like glass—a property known as friability." (wikipedia)

anyways, my theory is this that the aerogel's structure might become broken down due to stringing and hitting. that might cause the frame to lose some of its playing characteristics. i could be wrong but thats what i thought up.

i never said that aerogels deteriorate. i was posting to see if anyone else felt theres did.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
i think all racquets will deteriorate eventually, some faster than others, but those names for racquets are just there to get you to notice it.

Tennisguy777
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
"playability"?

Over time the rackets get more flexy and lose a bit of stiffness - to some that would add to "playability"

And I wonder how you quantified the loss in stiffness? Do you have a secret machine we don't have?

BreakPoint
05-15-2008, 09:59 PM
And I wonder how you quantified the loss in stiffness? Do you have a secret machine we don't have?

The "machine" is called your nervous system. You can feel how stiff a racquet is when you play with it.

Anton
05-16-2008, 11:07 PM

Yea, it's a little magical device called the RDC machine