PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with switch to longer racquet

kalic
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
What's your experience ? Did you stay, or back to 27" ?

ctrl-alt-del
05-14-2008, 11:43 PM
i switched to 28" and i love it.
i lost some pop on my serve, but its much more consistent (more spin) and my groundstrokes are way better now off both sides. great for improving a two handed backhand...

LPShanet
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM

Switched MANY years ago and have never gone back.

origmarm
05-15-2008, 12:52 AM
I played a slightly extended Yonex RDS003 for a while, never quite felt right. Same with a PSC 6.1 Stretch. Not sure if it was just the racquet with the RDS003 but for the PSC I loved the 27" and played with it for over 10yrs so I know in that case it was the extended length. Either way I ended up back at 27" for good now

0d1n
05-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I played a slightly extended Yonex RDS003 for a while, never quite felt right. Same with a PSC 6.1 Stretch. Not sure if it was just the racquet with the RDS003 but for the PSC I loved the 27" and played with it for over 10yrs so I know in that case it was the extended length. Either way I ended up back at 27" for good now

Going back to what ? :)

origmarm
05-15-2008, 01:32 AM
I keep switching back and forth between a Vantage and a LM Radical MP depending on how I'm playing. The Vantage is basically a PSC6.1 without the stiffness, when I'm on song I can really kill with this frame. When I'm feeling tired/off my step I bring out the Radicals, the weight and the more forgiving head help out on the less stellar days.

Edit to add:
I really did like the Yonex though, I debated sawing it down but I just couldn't bring myself to do it

kalic
05-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Switched MANY years ago and have never gone back.

Key question: WHY ?
Did you have problems with adaptation ?

HoVa
05-15-2008, 01:52 AM
i dont need a longer one to feel like a real man.

LPShanet
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Key question: WHY ?
Did you have problems with adaptation ?

I think you misunderstood. I switched to a longer racquet and loved it. I've never gone back to regular length. I've played with both 28" frames and 27.5" inch frames, and like both better than 27".

PandaKuo777
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Theres advantages and disadvantages, shorters guys might want to pick up longer frames.

PBODY99
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I've hit high in the racket face for 40 years. When the long frames came out, My mis-hits decreased. Due to market forces, I'm reduced to using a mere 27.5 length, as my current stick doesn't come in a 28. The incrase in swing weight never bothered me.

Casey10s
05-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I used a longer racquet for a few years but gave up on it and went back to a standard length reacquet. I felt the head was twisting when I swung and I wasn't making consistent contact on the ball. My shots seemed to spray all over the place. When I went back to the shorter length, that sensation went away. Don't know whether I imagined it or not. Several other people I know who were using extended racquets at that time had similar stories and also went back to the standard length.

sandflea
05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I've been playing with longer length rackets since around 1981 when I picked up my first matchmate graphite(I believe this was the first long length racket). I've tried to switch back to a standard length numerous times and although I play well with the normal length, I play much better with an extended length frame. I never had problems with maneuverability at the net or a higher swing weight like some players have. But the benefits for me were: longer reach(better court coverage), extra leverage on groundstrokes and serve(better pace) and the ability to hit with more topspin when needed. I do find that I hit a one hand backhand with a standard length a bit more consistent .

jb193
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
The pros

Again, it definitely helps the 2 handed backhand, without a doubt. I don't know why, but it does. My serve was also better with a 27.5 inch frame (Pro Kennex 7g).

The cons

It never felt as stable as a standard length racquet and my timing on my forehand wasn't as good as before, especially on inside out forehands and approach shots. Since my forehand is what my game is built around, I had to accomodate it. If I had unlimited hours to practice and perfect my timing, I probably would consider an extended racquet. But, I don't, so I need something that is "easier" and more consistent for me.......

All in all, I definitely see why some would prefer an extended length racquet and some wouldn't. Just personal preference..........

Nellie
05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I played with a 27.5 for a while and really liked it for serves and grounds strokes (especially, my 2h BH). I could not volley too well.

I switched to a 27 version of the same racquet. Now, I have lost about 5mph on the serves, but I am much more consistent on grounds strokes and my touch at the net is a lot better. I miss overheads though (hit off the top of the racquet frame.)

In pictures, I realize that I really use the top half of the hoop

Jim Hendricks
05-16-2008, 04:04 AM
I switched back after starting to develope shoulder and elbow problems.

pmerk34
05-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Played with a 28.5 lenth for a few years. Great for serves, got jammed at the net and was difficult to control backhand slices. Went back to 27 inches.

dgoran
05-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Tried it for a while PD+ and went back to standard APD, Felt kind of cumbersome after a while...