PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Ncode six-one 95... how to tame the power?

TuTu
01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I recently switched to the Wilson Ncode six-one 95 and like many i'm loving it.
It is a very comfortable racquet but like review from TW mentioned, it is a little too powerful.

I strung it with synthetic gut 16 gauge string at 58 lbs. And find it powerful and the string-bed feel a little too soft, not firm. Because of the power issue, resulted that control is average. I'm a flat hitter and sometime applied slight spin to my stroke, and with a fast and medium long swing.

I have 2 questions ....

1st question is .....
So what and how all of you do to tame the power? increase the tension, use a thinner string gauge, use different type of string, hybrid combination or etc.

Currently, i'm thinking of increasing the tension to 62 lbs and use either 16 gauge or 17 gauge Polyester string.
Pls comment???

Please provide any comments, input, suggestion and feedback. Thank you.

2nd question is ......
My friend said that i make a wrong choice choosing the 16x18 open string pattern. I should have go for the 18x20 tighter pattern Ncode 6.1 or alternatively get a Head LM Prestige Mid-Plus. Because i'm a flat hitter, tighter string pattern better suit my game.

Please provide any comments, input, suggestion and feedback.

Once again, thank you.

tennisnoob
01-14-2005, 01:03 AM
sampras was hitting pretty flat shots with PS 85 (16 x 18 string pattern)....

Alex
01-14-2005, 04:21 AM
Hi TuTu,

Try stringing at 62 lbs with 16gauge synthetic gut ... it can reduce the power and increase control. For better playability, try 17 gauge synthetic gut at 62 lbs.

If it still doen't work out for you, go polyester and definitely you will experience and feel some power loss.

Never got a chance to play with the 18x20 Ncode 6.1 and Head LM Prestige Mid-Plus, so can not comment much about it. These 2 racquet seem to be best suit and favor for flat hitter because tight string pattern. However, many (even TW review) said that the Head LM prestige Mid+ with tight string pattern provide excellent spin potential. You should probably give it a try.

Hope this help!!!

mrwise
01-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I have been stringing my NCode 95 up to 65 pounds with a hybrid of Wilson Stamina 18 guage in the mains and Technifibre Syngut 17 in the crosses. It has taken a lot of the power out of the racket. I get a lot of spin with this combination as well, so that makes for more controlled power. I am not sure why this racket has a recommended tension of 50-60. I think it should be 55-65 easily. I am not a big string breaker, so this combination has worked out pretty well for me. I would recommend this for a try...

Power Game
01-14-2005, 06:00 AM
If you are going to try a poly string, do not increase tension, drop it a few pounds, otherwise it will feel really stiff

William Bedford
01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
I have used the ncode 95 16X18 and the 18X20. I prefered the spin and feel better from the 16X18 version. Saying that, it is a very powerfull frame. Agree with earlier post that syn gut at 62lbs plays awesome. I was using PSGWD 17 at 62lbs when I used the frame. I had to restring every 4-5 hours play time because when the tension went, so did the control. I bought the Ncode 95 on impulse and it was a bad decision - too powerfull. I just couldnt consistently unload using this frame (or the 18X20 version) They should have made the beam 20MM.

I do however use the ncode tour, which is an awesome frame....

Alex
01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi William Bedford,

Do you mean that the 17 gauge loose tension faster than 16 gauge at 62 lbs on the ncode six-one 95? Based on your opinon, So it is better to use 16 g or 17g, right?

Btw, what kind of string, gauge and tension you apply to Wilson nCode Tour 90?

Looking forward to your reply.

SC in MA
01-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Tutu: I also use the nCode 6.1 95 16x18. And I also had some initial problems controlling the power. I did the same thing Alex suggested, that is, I strung it at 62 with 16g Prince Synthetic Gut w/duraflex. It worked. It was de-powered and under control. Since then, I learned that I can string it with either Prince or Gamma syn. gut at 60lbs, which gives me a bit more power without a loss of control.

Unless you're experienced with Poly, I would try the synthetic gut at 62lbs first, since you can use your previous experience with syn. gut at 58lbs as a base reference. Good luck.

TuTu
01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi... Thanks all of you for the input and feedback.

mrwise ...... 62lbs is already my max. But the tension you mention 65lbs, is really high. By stringing above the recommend tesion range, would it dammage/crack the frame?

Alex.. Personally I think thinner gauge loose tension faster. If you are use lot of spin on your stroke, it will loose tension even faster. From expereince, my friend use lot of spin on his ground stroke. The tension on his racquet wear off very easily, due to excessive string movement.

I was hoping that because i'm a flat hitter, so it is worth a try on 17 gauge.

So, what do you all think.

alan-n
01-14-2005, 09:27 AM
To tame the power I've been using poly (Luxilon BB ALU) @ 53 lbs. Plays great not too powerful, and have never hit with so much spin on my topspin or underspin strokes.

SC in MA
01-14-2005, 11:14 AM
alan-n: Thanks for the info on the ALU. I've been thinking of trying that string in my nCode95, but I wasn't sure what to string it at. Does the ALU feel harsh at 53lbs? Any arm prolbems with the ALU ?

alan-n
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
SC, I play with a gamma red eye vibration dampener... though the setup could hardly need it. No arm problems or harshness at all, just pure smootness with this racquet. I hit with a one-handed backhand and have been playing with this racquet/string setup 6 hours a week for the past 4 months, no problems whatsoever.

darkavgr
01-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I am a 3.5 player using the Asian Spec nCode SixOne 95 16x18.
Strings are Toalsen Ultimate which are hybrids w Aramid mains & synthetic
crosses.
18 gauge, strung at 61 lbs. Not available in TW I think
Strings lose tension pretty quickly & I think it probably settles at 58.
I feel I have excellent control both on the FH & BH.
Yes its true that the SixOne 95 is more powerful (I've a PS Tour 90 as well)
but not overly so as I seem to be able to control my shots to land deep.
On one of the SixOne 95 I've added 4gm leadtape to the throat & it
feels wonderful

Suggest u tweak the strings.
I love the racket ! probably the one of Wilson's finest !

dark

mrwise
01-18-2005, 05:19 AM
TUTU - I have been stringing it up at 65 for about 4 months now and I haven't had any problems with a crack or any damage. I am sure there are some pros out there that are using a way higher tension than what is recommended on their sticks. If you know what you are doing when you string the racket, then you shouldn't have any problems. I would give it a try. I think it should have been 55-65 anyways.

lude popper
01-18-2005, 11:34 AM
ashway crossfire (18g kevlar) mains at 64. goson proform tuff 15l at 60lbs.

power gone. I've tried everything and this is the only thing that preserves the sweetspot and comfort...everything else felt kind of harsh

William Bedford
01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Alex -

I use Babolat VS Tonic 16 Gut in my Tour 90's. I pre-stretch the gut then string mains at 59lbs, Crooses are PSGWD 16 also pre-stretched and strung at 57lbs. There is hardly any movement and this is way more comfortable (and cheaper) than using BB ALU in the crosses. This setup gives me awesome control and adequate power. It also lasts a good 30+ "playable" hours.

I was using Tecnifibre X-One 17 at 61lbs - but after 5 hours, the stuff was minced in my Ncode90. Tried Laserfibre Supreme 17 - same - pretty limp after 5+ hours.