PDA

View Full Version : Racquet problem

Blade0324
05-16-2008, 06:47 AM
So here is the deal. One of my the racquets that my wife uses seems to have a strange vibration/buzzing sound to it especially in the upper hoop when you hit it of even just bounce a ball on it. There is absolutely no visible damage at all and this is even the one she uses rarely as a backup. It is about a year old, what can I do with it? Thanks is advance for your advice.

fuzz nation
05-16-2008, 07:06 AM
If you don't see a visible crack in the frame (you might not even hear anything if it did have a bit of a crack), you could be hearing the bumper guard buzzing against the frame a little bit. You could try putting a length of headguard tape over the bumper guard - make sure it covers the edges between the guard and the frame. No need to get anything exotic - even some simple black cloth trainer's tape could do the trick. Those buzzes can be annoying little gremlins, but you can probably chase them out with some trial and error.

If the grommets on that racquet are old and ragged, you could also consider getting a fresh set installed (if they're still available) when you get the racquet restrung. TW sells them for five or six bucks each depending on the model of racquet.

Blade0324
05-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Cool, some good suggestions fuzz nation. I do already have head guard tape on it so I don't think it's the head guard but it could be the grommets. They only have about 4 string jobs on them but still could be buzzing. I may just cut the strings out and make sure that all the grommets are set good etc. and then throw a set of PSG in it and see if it goes away. If not do you think I could send it back to head?

fuzz nation
05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I've never had to do that undertaking of sending a frame back to its maker, but it's worth a shot. You'd probably want to get on the horn and track down a live body to give you some positive direction before you send it anywhere. It could be the case that you'd need to deal with the business that sold you the racquet.