PDA

View Full Version : Demo nCode Tour 90 weight findings...

Holdfast44ID
05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I purchased a brand new demo version of the nCode Tour 90 racquet and then purchased my second nCode from a local tennis store. I played around with using the 4 3/8 grips & felt they were too small, so I had them built up (by the tennis shop) to 4 1/2 (like I used to use). Since I could feel the bevels better on the demo nCode and the other racquet grip felt round, I use the demo as my main racquet. However, I've always felt that the demo nCode is lighter than the store bough nCode. Today, I weighed them on an electronic postage scale. I found that I was right:

Demo nCode weight strung with 17 gauge gut (& vib dampener): 12.9 oz.
Store bought nCode with 17 gauge X-One Biphase string (& vib dampener): 13.5 oz.

We're talking about more than 1/2 an oz. in weight difference. I'd prefer to have matched racquets in the future.

A tennis pro I know (who I used to coach when he was a kid -getting old, lol) told me that the demo I have appeared to be a first generation nCode and that Wilson made some slight changes to the frame (structurally more sturdy, stiffer?? -Forget).

-Holdfast

Greg Raven
05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
It sounds as if you have two racquets that are set up differently, so you can't know how matched or unmatched they are. You have different string and different grip build-ups at least. If you are serious about matching these frames, you need to buy two new sets of bumperguards with grommets, strip these down to bare frames with butt caps (no dampener, string, bumperguards, grommets, grips, overgrips, grip build-ups, lead tape, etc.) and THEN measure to see what your starting points are.

By the way, it's difficult to believe that you really want matched racquets when you're not even using the same string in both frames.

Of course, you're going to need access to a Babolat RDC machine, Prince PTC machine, or the equivalent, to perform your measurements, and then you're going to need to know how to calculate the placement points for adding mass -- assuming your racquets need matching and/or can be matched.

Holdfast44ID
05-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi,
Thanks for replying. Everthing is the same about the fames except the string. One has 17 gauge Klip uncoated gut & the other has 17 gauge Technfibre X-One Biphase string. Each racquet was 4 3/8 originally & each grip was built up to 4 1/2. So, the frames are virtually the same, but the weight difference is .6 oz in weight. Being that the only difference is the string, I don't think the string can account for .6 oz. difference. Something in the manufacturing process...

Holdfast

Holdfast44ID
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
String: I have two types of string at the moment because one racquet grip feels so much better than the other racquet. Gut is expensive. So I have gut in the main racquet and not in the backup. The grip on the backup bugs me so much that I don't even use the frame!

Grips: The normal grip size was 4 3/8 on each racquet. I had a local shop, Swetka's, build up the grips to 4 1/2. Each racquet as the same type of replacement grip. What is funny was that the heavier fram actually seemed to have a smaller grip prior to the grip build up. Perhaps that is why it feels more rounded?

Regardless, the heavier frame feels more solid. In my mind, it makes me perceive it to be of higher quality construction. I'm not sure if I can make modifications to the frames to make them feel the same as mentioned. I partially feel like getting some kFactor Tour 90 frames (matched) if I cannot work with these.

kerxny
05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
You have to realize racket quality control is quite bad nowadays.

vndesu
05-17-2008, 12:12 AM
You have to realize racket quality control is quite bad nowadays.

you have to realize that its not the racket. its the person who uses it.

AlpineCadet
05-17-2008, 12:44 AM
String: I have two types of string at the moment because one racquet grip feels so much better than the other racquet. Gut is expensive. So I have gut in the main racquet and not in the backup. The grip on the backup bugs me so much that I don't even use the frame!

Grips: The normal grip size was 4 3/8 on each racquet. I had a local shop, Swetka's, build up the grips to 4 1/2. Each racquet as the same type of replacement grip. What is funny was that the heavier fram actually seemed to have a smaller grip prior to the grip build up. Perhaps that is why it feels more rounded?

Regardless, the heavier frame feels more solid. In my mind, it makes me perceive it to be of higher quality construction. I'm not sure if I can make modifications to the frames to make them feel the same as mentioned. I partially feel like getting some kFactor Tour 90 frames (matched) if I cannot work with these.
Over half an ounce is pretty extreme, even from Wilson. ;) Are you sure the shop didn't add two heat shrink sleeves to just one of the frames? I would take a look if I were you.

Holdfast44ID
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Over half an ounce is pretty extreme, even from Wilson. ;) Are you sure the shop didn't add two heat shrink sleeves to just one of the frames? I would take a look if I were you.

I was thinking the same thing as this grip felt smaller than the other one prior to incresing the grip size for both frames. Maybe they DID add two heat shrink sleeves to the heavier racquet, and only one to the other. Good point.

nickb
06-04-2008, 01:39 AM
you have to realize that its not the racket. its the person who uses it.

Whats that got to do with quality control? :shock: