PDA

View Full Version : Can you please sticky my bad references thread?

meowmix
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I think this thread would be able to serve 2 functions:
1) the obvious one is to serve as a conglomeration of all TW users that have, or tried to, scam people. Since a lot of scammers do come back under a different user name (ameliasdad, baselineplaya, agassiguy23 are the same person), it is my hope that adding email addresses to the list will help prevent some scamming.
2) it can be used to generate pressure. People will be forced to respond if they want to keep somewhat of a reputation. A prime example occurred today. A poster asked me to add ngray99 to the list because ngray99 hadn't responded to his accusation of scamming. Now, ngray99 is selling rackets and a bag. The thread is used to pressure ngray99 into dealing with the original poster, as well as warn potential buyers.

Thank you for considering.

meowmix

doublefault2008
05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Who is willing to keep updating it?

meowmix
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Who is willing to keep updating it?

Me. I'm generally on these boards for 15-30 min daily. Granted, I'm not going to catch every negative reference, but some people have posted in the thread asking me to add names.

brownbearfalling
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
can you prove your accusations? If not, I don't think there is any actual worth of the thread except to give a bad name to people who might not deserve it.
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

meowmix
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
can you prove your accusations? If not, I don't think there is any actual worth of the thread except to give a bad name to people who might not deserve it.

Me? I don't level the accusations, the rest of TW does. I'm simply compiling a list of all posters that have had reasonably bad feedback. Ex. somebody posts negative feedback for XXXXXXXX person with the accusation that they scammed them out of a racket. They back it up in their thread, and I add the scammer to the list.

To be completely truthful, I've got next to zero feedback under my belt. I've only ever dealt with 3 people on these boards regarding a trade/sale.

Huppe
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Me? I don't level the accusations, the rest of TW does. I'm simply compiling a list of all posters that have had reasonably bad feedback. Ex. somebody posts negative feedback for XXXXXXXX person with the accusation that they scammed them out of a racket. They back it up in their thread, and I add the scammer to the list.

What you compile is subjective. In the third post you admit in compiling you don't necessarily even read the whole thread and have posted at least one name wrongly: "My mistake. . . . I did not read far enough into the thread to realize that both you and the buyer had some problems. On further review, I believe that you made a mistake, an honest mistake, and you were not trying to scam anybody."

There is a search function so anyone, member or not, can look up references for a person and read the whole, original feedback, void of interpretation. The fair thing is to leave it that way.

SFrazeur
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
There are three problems with a master "Bad References" list being compilled from reference threads:

1. It can validate a fake/unsubstantiated claims. Ex: Joebuyer: SFrazeur sold me three broken Volkl racquets! *******!

2. It can make a black and white issue where one did not exist.
Ex: Joe Buyer: SFrazeur the *******! backed out of our deal after agreeing to sell! Yeah, but what if I did so because the buyer turned into an unreasonable cow? Should my name really be on this list?

3. Part of the problem is that the thread is simply entitled "Bad References."
However, the intent of the thread seems to be to compile a list of scammers. Would I be a scammer for any of the examples?

There is a big diffrence between a simple bad reference and being a scammer.

-SF

meowmix
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
There are three problems with a master "Bad References" list being compilled from reference threads:

1. It can validate a fake/unsubstantiated claims. Ex: Joebuyer: SFrazeur sold me three broken Volkl racquets! *******!

2. It can make a black and white issue where one did not exist.
Ex: Joe Buyer: SFrazeur the *******! backed out of our deal after agreeing to sell! Yeah, but what if I did so because the buyer turned into an unreasonable cow? Should me name really be on this list?

Part of the problem is that the thread is simply entitled "Bad References."
However, the intent of the thread seems to be to compile a list of scammers. Would I be a scammer for any of the examples?

There is a big diffrence between a simple bad reference and being a scammer.

-SF

Your points are quite valid. Problem is, I really don't think I can make a logical comback to any of your points...:oops:

However, I will continue with the thread to the best of my abilities. You are quite right, the thread is misnamed, but I think that the thread may still help some people. All I hope for is that I can be of some help to some unfortunate fellow being scammed. Whether or not TW stickies is not the main issue at point, it's whether or not I can help some people out.

slice bh compliment
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
... SFrazeur sold me three broken Volkl racquets! .....

Oh no. Thanks for stickying this. Now I know never to buy anything from this SFrazeur person. Thank you!

;-)

SFrazeur
05-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Your points are quite valid. Problem is, I really don't think I can make a logical comback to any of your points...:oops:

However, I will continue with the thread to the best of my abilities. You are quite right, the thread is misnamed, but I think that the thread may still help some people. All I hope for is that I can be of some help to some unfortunate fellow being scammed. Whether or not TW stickies is not the main issue at point, it's whether or not I can help some people out.

I do not think the change should occur for the sole sake of it being stickied, but because the changes that I would think it would need to be sticked are for reasons of simple fairness as I outlined somewhat in the other post.

Now a name change is easy, even a lowly mod with restricted power can do that--in a long-round-about-way. A name like "List of Scammers." Perhaps limit the list only to users banned for being scammers.

The Volkl racquet part was a vauge in-joke, kind of to myself, as I know nothing of their racquets and have only held one once--as they are not in my state. Realy vauge. . .

Oh no. Thanks for stickying this. Now I know never to buy anything from this SFrazeur person. Thank you!

;-)

No! Now I'll get banned. Perhaps I should be smart and think everyone else is dumb *** stupid and only change two characters in my new username and e-mail address. Yeah that will hide me.

-FS

slice bh compliment
05-17-2008, 06:38 AM
.....No! Now I'll get banned. Perhaps I should be smart and think everyone else is dumb *** stupid and only change two characters in my new username and e-mail address. Yeah that will hide me.

-FS

Hahahha... an even more vague in-joke there.
The FS got me laughing, like Fran Sancisco.