PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Tennis Racquet, Grip, and String combination?

Refresh
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi
Im new here and I need your help. I am an intermediate but getting better and better every month. I like to hit hard and move quickly. My budget is $250-$275 for a new racquet, grip, and strings? What is best for me? Suggestions are very welcome.

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
thats a nice budget for racquets. But more info would be nice, like what are you looking for? Do you like heavy or light racquets? Midsize? Midplus? Oversize?
Do you care about how they look?

top of my head id always reccomend the Wilson Ncode 95 , Liquidmetal radical midplus or Prestige Mid/plus ... whats nice is your could pick up like 3 of those of the same model and still not go over your budget.

Than we can go to the newer models such as microgel prestige mid/plus and Kblade mid and K6.1 18x20

THE CHOICES THE CHOICES!

Refresh
05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
thats a nice budget for racquets. But more info would be nice, like what are you looking for? Do you like heavy or light racquets? Midsize? Midplus? Oversize?
Do you care about how they look?

top of my head id always reccomend the Wilson Ncode 95 , Liquidmetal radical midplus or Prestige Mid/plus ... whats nice is your could pick up like 3 of those of the same model and still not go over your budget.

Than we can go to the newer models such as microgel prestige mid/plus and Kblade mid and K6.1 18x20

THE CHOICES THE CHOICES!

I like the weight of the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus, but people tell me its not a very good racquet. I like oversize grips. The look does not matter so much to me. As long as it doesn't have pink/yellow, im fine with it.

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I like the weight of the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus, but people tell me its not a very good racquet.

Idonno who told you that but the Roddick is a great racquet... that is if you can control the power hehe. Its still a nice racquet with lots of power

Weight wise the racquet weighs 11.7. Which is similar to the LM prestige, LM radical so is the n95 and k6.1. Microgel i guess would be too light

Refresh
05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Idonno who told you that but the Roddick is a great racquet... that is if you can control the power hehe. Its still a nice racquet with lots of power

Weight wise the racquet weighs 11.7. Which is similar to the LM prestige, LM radical so is the n95 and k6.1. Microgel i guess would be too light

So many racquets! I just need one thats midweight and good all around. A dark colored racquet would be nice.

Refresh
05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
So what grip do you guys prefer? 3/8 or 5/8?

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Look cool and buy a Wilson K6.1 18x20
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-K6118.html

Dont want to spend much? LM radical is nice
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

by the way, i just got home from playing with my friends Prince racquet thought it was very nice and had the same weight as my roddick
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-PO3T.html

Return_Ace
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I would say the LM Radical as they can be picked up for very nice money now...

Good all around racket.

Refresh
05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I tried the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus at a store. It had a REALLY nice swing. Would the LM have the seem feel?

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
They are different racquets, try out the LM, LM was a very comfortable racquet to use and im looking for more coming in.

meowmix
05-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi
Im new here and I need your help. I am an intermediate but getting better and better every month. I like to hit hard and move quickly. My budget is $250-$275 for a new racquet, grip, and strings? What is best for me? Suggestions are very welcome.

You're intermediate getting better every month? Hit hard and move quickly? Seems like you're an improving all courter.

You're definately going to give us some more info. What are you playing with now? Do you notice a difference in playability when the racket comes back from the stringer compared to around the time you break a string? Do you break strings? If so, what strings are you using and how long do they take to break? How old are you? How much weight can you handle (in a racket)? What's your game like? 2handed backhand or 1? Can you control power? Do you hit with a lot of topspin or a little?

Those answers would help if you want us to prescribe the whole kaboodle. Without any information, my recommendations would be the Dunlop M-fil 300 and the Dunlop Aerogel 300. They're good rackets for and improving all courter. If you can handle the weight, the Wilson n6-1 95 is a great all courter. If you like to hit with a lot of power and a lot of topspin, the Babolat Aeropro Drive Cortex would suit you. We just need more info!!!

fortunecookiesjc
05-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I think you should get out there and try a nsixone 95 or LM radical. FANTASTIC racquets for a great price

CaveMan
05-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Fortune, just out of curiousity, why you recommend 18x20 over the 16x18 of the 6.1

fortunecookiesjc
05-17-2008, 02:21 AM
oh, I just personally like 18x20 tight string beds

sandyCX
05-17-2008, 04:01 AM
I tried the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus at a store. It had a REALLY nice swing. Would the LM have the seem feel?

I'd suggest as much as possible, try and hit with a racket you want to buy first. Demo programs aren't available everywhere but the feel you get from swinging in a store isn't enough. I made the mistake of getting a Flexpoint 4 which felt good in the store but I was spraying balls everywhere on court with it.
I know its exciting to buy a new racket and some of the technologic talk really makes you feel like that is THE racket for you but remember, they are there to promote the product. Unless you can afford to change around a lot, finding the right one is important especially considering you are an improving player. And I have seem with many people at intermediate level, the flashiest and the priciest isn't necessarily the best fit.
I would suggest playing around with your friends' and club-mates' rackets to see if you like the feel on any, compare.. that's how I settled with my Yonex RDS003s