PDA

View Full Version : Player Level Option

el_mago
01-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Someone thought that having a player level option would let other posters know more about you and your background. I agree that we should start putting our playing level in our signatures along with our racquet, string, and tension. Here's the link to the thread about it http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=37880. Anyone who feels that this would be a good idea please respond to this thread.

RoddickRulez
01-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I think thats an outstanding and reasonable idea.

el_mago
01-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I think thats an outstanding and reasonable idea.

It was matchpoints and Chris from TW Staff's idea not mine. I am just spreading it along because I think it should be done. I've already added my playing level to my signature.

LafayetteHitter
01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
This may be helpful in some ways, but I think most of the time, before taking someone advice if you search their older posts and read their threads you can get an idea of the posters knowledge. I say this because, Ego will play a part here and you know there will be some people that have to put 5.0 or 6.0 in their sig just to do it so people take them serious. This came to mind will reading these two threads and thinking about how on a couple of P2P networks I use there are 12 year old kids who say they have a T1 or T3 connection but it takes two hours to download one song and you KNOW they are using a dialup at that point. In concept this is a good idea but it will end up being abused and you will have to still be alert and pay attention to what you are reading carefully if it's in reference to a suggestion from someone.

Scott

Steve Huff
01-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. A lot of the guys here don't know what level they are anyway, as evidenced by "I'm about a 4.0 or 4.5". I think that most guys that aren't rated, but think they "are about....." should get together and hear the story about the 40 pound rockfish I caught this summer.

andfor
01-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't think it's a good idea. A lot of the guys here don't know what level they are anyway, as evidenced by "I'm about a 4.0 or 4.5". I think that most guys that aren't rated, but think they "are about....." should get together and hear the story about the 40 pound rockfish I caught this summer.

I like the idea but surely do not see it as a mandate. If you know your true rating amd feel like posting it, cool. If you don't know it or would rather not post it that's OK.

I should post my rating as 7.0 trapped in a 4.5 body!

matchpoints
01-15-2005, 10:54 AM
....Ego will play a part here and you know there will be some people that have to put 5.0 or 6.0 in their sig just to do it so people take them serious.
Scott

Are you kidding me? I'm at least a 8.5!

I think age, experience, tournament record would help too eh? But I agree with the posts above, I can think of a couple of guys right now whose advice I would never take. They think they are 5.5-6.0 but never compete because they know they wouldn't pass first round. You can't lose if you don't play right?

With that said, I've played at 3 different colleges: Texas State University (former Southwest Texas State), St. Mary's University, and Texas Lutheran University. I teach part time at a Tennis Ranch. I'm looking forward to start playing Futures/Challengers events as soon as my semester ends and I graduate. In the meantime, see you guys at the USTA events.

Also, I'm 26, have long curly rock'n'roll hair, enjoy walks on the beach and have no clue what level player I am.

My goal is to break top 500.