View Full Version : Prince O3 racquets now available for pre-order at TW

TW Staff
01-14-2005, 09:26 AM
For more info on the Prince O3 racquets, head to:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/PrinceRacquets.html
Chris, TW

atatu
01-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I wonder how much they paid a marketing consultant to come up with the names 03 "red" and 03 "silver"....

Mr.Safin
01-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Am I the only person, who canīt find the O3 Racquets on TWīs Prince page?

el_mago
01-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Am I the only person, who canīt find the O3 Racquets on TWīs Prince page?

Check again they are showing now.

TripleB
01-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't '05' make more since?

Oh, it's O3 and not 03?!?

My bad.

TripleB

Mr.Safin
01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Now Iīm able to see them... Pretty strange, just 2 minutes ago, I couldnīt.

spinbalz
01-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Is the O3 Midplus really a 105 sq. in. headsize racquet???? If yes, then how come Prince call it a midplus?

GuyPerez
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
PK is now calling their 105 inch frames mid-plus also.

K. Wilson Moose
01-14-2005, 12:31 PM
How about a 14x18 CTS Synergy DB24, and call it the Prince OMigodIgotItRyte?

Craig Sheppard
01-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't '05' make more since?
Think this has to do w/ the fact there are 3 zones of large O holes.

Craig

finchy
01-14-2005, 12:51 PM
i still cant see the O3's...

edit: works now. i had to refresh 2 times to see it.

el_mago
01-14-2005, 12:53 PM
i still cant see the O3's...

If you can't see them, search for 'Prince O3' and the O3 red and silver will show up.

finchy
01-14-2005, 01:03 PM
hmm, was the diablo released not too long ago? it seems like these O3 frames are tweeners...

Hewitt rulez
01-14-2005, 02:41 PM
219 dollars. Thats pretty expensive. What is that at 6 O'clock?

thomas martinez
01-14-2005, 06:12 PM
It's a polymer piece that extends on out to it. Supposedly the Coria model will have it as well. These frames, they're just not going to do well. The stringing of the damn things alone will kill them quick. Let alone their lack of feel and insane stiffness for a slim beam on the Coria model

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm certainly not an expert and don't want to sound overly cynical, but why would anyone buy a prince tennis racquet in 2005 ? Their shoes are great,but you can only ride POG and brand loyalty for so long.

Kirko
01-14-2005, 06:31 PM
I agree if this "big hole" tech. does not go over then they {prince} has lost all credibility.

yoonit78
01-14-2005, 06:34 PM

Craig

I think O3 refers to chemical formula of ozone... which I believe is the actual name of the line...
If you look at the logo at the prince site, the 3 appears to be in smaller script, not unlike a chemcial formula...
and their tag line is "Don't just get in the Zone (using same enlongated O as in logo), Live in it"

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 07:39 PM
I think O3 refers to chemical formula of ozone... which I believe is the actual name of the line...
If you look at the logo at the prince site, the 3 appears to be in smaller script, not unlike a chemcial formula...
and their tag line is "Don't just get in the Zone (using same enlongated O as in logo), Live in it"

So they not only are putting out a questionable product but are insulting the intelligence of tennis players world-wide by infering that their racquets will elevate your game... to the ozone layer ? Who are these marketing wizards ?

yoonit78
01-14-2005, 08:11 PM
So they not only are putting out a questionable product but are insulting the intelligence of tennis players world-wide by infering that their racquets will elevate your game... to the ozone layer ? Who are these marketing wizards ?

uhh.. don't think it's implying it'll take your game to the ozone layer... You're right the name is just a marketing gimmick, actually pretty similar adidas' a3 (a-cubed). probably ozone is just play on words combining the new technology/gimmick of the stick and the concept of being "in the zone"
Is it any different than other racquet names? Does anyone really believe a head iPrestige will give you any more intelligence or prestige? or that a TT Warrior will turn you into a warrior?

Koz
01-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow...overpriced much? Not a remark against TW, but against Prince. I feel sorry for anyone who buys these racquets, as they will no doubt be phased out within a year or two; following the trend of most other Prince racquets.

Yolkl
01-14-2005, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=yoonit78]uhh.. don't think it's implying it'll take your game to the ozone layer... You're right the name is just a marketing gimmick, actually pretty similar adidas' a3 (a-cubed). probably ozone is just play on words combining the new technology/gimmick of the stick and the concept of being "in the zone"
Is it any different than other racquet names? Does anyone really believe a head iPrestige will give you any more intelligence or prestige? or that a TT Warrior will turn you into a warrior?[/QUOTE

Who do you think made Warrior? Prestige or radical is not an affront to my sensiblities, but when you enter the realm of Bandit, Rebel, Scream, Air Launch, more this, & more that it all gets to be rather sophmoric. What are we talkin about, racquets or rides at an amusement park ?

dAgEnIuS
01-14-2005, 09:28 PM
didn't know it was like........................ superoversize!!

dAgEnIuS
01-14-2005, 09:30 PM
whoa.... just found out that it sometimes disappears..... weird....

BreakPoint
01-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Craig

Didn't you guys read what Criag wrote earlier in this thread? It has nothing to do with ozone. :roll:

Will
01-15-2005, 01:04 AM
So is the 03 red meant to be the Coria model or another one?

yoonit78
01-15-2005, 03:53 AM
Didn't you guys read what Criag wrote earlier in this thread? It has nothing to do with ozone. :roll:

Like I said, I think it is a marketing gimmick play on words/symbols to highlight the new tech (3 zones of O's referred to by Craig). I don't think it literally has anything to do w/ the chemical ozone...

el_mago
01-15-2005, 04:18 AM
So is the 03 red meant to be the Coria model or another one?

I asked Chris from the TW Staff about this and Coria's model will not come out until March. It is called the O3 Tour and Chris said he believes Coria will be using the Midplus headsize (100 sq. inch), which I'm not too sure about because I always thought that Coria would use the Oversize. If anyone has the rest of specs for the Midplus O3 Tour and if you have the specs for the Oversize, could you please post them?

OnyxZ28
01-15-2005, 05:05 AM
OMG no way!! So the marketing terms aren't meant to be taken at face value? Get outta here, next you're going to tell me there's actually no liquid in my Liquidmetal Prestige! Teh unpossible.

el_mago
01-15-2005, 06:14 AM
It is called the O3 Tour and Chris said he believes Coria will be using the Midplus headsize (100 sq. inch), which I'm not too sure about because I always thought that Coria would use the Oversize. If anyone has the rest of specs for the Midplus O3 Tour and if you have the specs for the Oversize, could you please post them?
Rabbit,

You said that the pro and owner at a store you know hit with the O3, but they haven't hit with O3 Tour yet. Even if they haven't hit with hit would you know the rest of the specs to the O3 Tour Midplus? Oversize specs? Is Coria really going to use the midplus, his previous racquets were oversize?

Rabbit
01-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Man, I wish I could help, but I have no idea. I picked the frame that they had up and hit the stringbed against my palm. It had absolutely no give at all, but then again, I'm used to the C10. I might hit with the frame here in the next day or so, if I do, I'll post what I think.

el_mago
01-15-2005, 06:46 AM
I might hit with the frame here in the next day or so, if I do, I'll post what I think.

Thanks,

I'm anxious to see how it plays.

thomas martinez
01-15-2005, 08:09 AM
It's going to play very boardy with little feel. No clue what the final spec will be on the frame, though the midplus will be 100" with a 16 x 18 pattern. Rumour is the lay up will be like the current Tour Diablo 100", though what Coria plays with is a Graphite lay up. He's NEVER used an oversize since being on the main part of the tour. I wouldn't play these things if given to me.

el_mago
01-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks Thomas. I've heard that Coria was using oversize racquets, so he started using midplus frames since he started to excel on the tour?

Ronaldo
01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Never thought the TT Rebel or More Precision had much feel despite their thin beam, must be Prince's forte, eh?

Gaines Hillix
01-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Prince is no more sop****ric or gimmicky than Wilson or Head, IMO. Come on, how many Radicals and Prestiges can there be with different technology on them? How many different 90-95 sq. in. Pro Staff varients has Wilson pushed on us in the last 2-3 years for chris* sake! It's no different than the car industry. New models sell new models and marketing people get paid to help make us think we need new models and some poeple just have too much money. :-)

Angentunderfire38
01-15-2005, 03:39 PM
My coach got a demo because my camp that I go to is sponsered by Prince and I tried out the O3 and the design of the racquet is very cool, but when you actually hit with it feels very dead.

Agent

K. Wilson Moose
01-15-2005, 03:43 PM
marketing people get paid to help make us think we need new models and some people just have too much money. :-)

Amen Bro http://www.gojackets.com/new/emoticons/beertoast.gif.

TW Staff
01-15-2005, 04:11 PM
We thought all three models hit pretty solid during our initial playtest. Haven't strung one yet, though. Don/Tennis Warehouse

el_mago
01-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Don. That certainly disproves a bit of what was said about the new models playing horrible.

Kirko
01-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Those frames will be going for about 89.99 next "season" ; like I said Prince has no respect for their current customers and future customers.

thomas martinez
01-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Don, remember strigning the Wilson Rollers? This is like that, but also on the mains as well. Not that much fun. Especially with gut. You can get some nasty pull angles.

gregraven
01-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Rabbit,

You said that the pro and owner at a store you know hit with the O3, but they haven't hit with O3 Tour yet. Even if they haven't hit with hit would you know the rest of the specs to the O3 Tour Midplus? Oversize specs? Is Coria really going to use the midplus, his previous racquets were oversize?

Steve Davis told me that Prince has all but finalized the specifications for the O3 tour, but until everything is final, there will be no publication of those specs. It seems the mass will be less than other "pro" frames, but it hits very nicely -- that is, it feels heavier on impact than the measured mass would lead you to believe.

By the way, the O3 designation is because of the chemical abbreviation for ozone. The Prince Ozone, however, is not a chemical or layer in the atmosphere, but their attempt to explain the difference between the "sweet spot" in a normal racquet and the "sweet zone" in the O3 racquets. Because the expansion of the "sweet spot" to a "sweet zone" in the O3 racquets is due to the O-shaped holes, Prince calls the racquet the O3.

As for the names Red and Silver, I for one applaud Prince for the straightforward naming of these racquets. You stringers who have to figure out which of many similarly-named racquets has what stringing instructions, know what I mean.

gregraven
01-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey Don, remember strigning the Wilson Rollers? This is like that, but also on the mains as well. Not that much fun. Especially with gut. You can get some nasty pull angles.

Clearly, you weren't using a Prince 3000 to do the stringing. :-)

Prince says they will be shipping a "boomerang" stringing tool with each racquet that is supposed to eliminate this problem. No doubt it will increase stringing time to have to insert the boomerang into some of the holes before pulling, but at least you will able to avoid the nasty angles.

gregraven
01-15-2005, 07:30 PM
(snip) These frames, they're just not going to do well. The stringing of the damn things alone will kill them quick. Let alone their lack of feel and insane stiffness for a slim beam on the Coria model

The O3 racquets do have a muted feel, in my opinion, but it's not that big a deal to get used to it, and the racquet feels quite solid and comfortable to me. I preferred the not-yet-released O3 Tour, but the O3 Red seemed fine, and I could even find the court with the O3 Silver.

I haven't received a final version of the O3 Tour yet, so I don't know the flex. I will say that if it turns out to be a stiff racquet, it certainly doesn't hit like one.

K. Wilson Moose
01-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Clearly, you weren't using a Prince 3000 to do the stringing. :-)

Prince says they will be shipping a "boomerang" stringing tool with each racquet that is supposed to eliminate this problem. No doubt it will increase stringing time to have to insert the boomerang into some of the holes before pulling, but at least you will able to avoid the nasty angles.

Sounds like a high maintenance chick, Aiieeeee!!!!!! http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/eek.gif

gregraven
01-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Not "high maintenance," but maybe slightly higher maintenance. I won't be stringing these at any tournaments where time is critical, and I spend more time playing a racquet than stringing it, so a couple of extra minutes stringing is no big deal. Plus, with a 16x18 stringbed, even with the boomerang I'll bet it's faster to restring than my i.prestige mids and ROKs with their 18x20 stringbeds.

Kirko
01-15-2005, 08:10 PM
The whole concept sounds like big mistake.

el_mago
01-16-2005, 04:36 AM
Steve Davis told me that Prince has all but finalized the specifications for the O3 tour, but until everything is final, there will be no publication of those specs. It seems the mass will be less than other "pro" frames, but it hits very nicely -- that is, it feels heavier on impact than the measured mass would lead you to believe.

By the way, the O3 designation is because of the chemical abbreviation for ozone. The Prince Ozone, however, is not a chemical or layer in the atmosphere, but their attempt to explain the difference between the "sweet spot" in a normal racquet and the "sweet zone" in the O3 racquets. Because the expansion of the "sweet spot" to a "sweet zone" in the O3 racquets is due to the O-shaped holes, Prince calls the racquet the O3.

As for the names Red and Silver, I for one applaud Prince for the straightforward naming of these racquets. You stringers who have to figure out which of many similarly-named racquets has what stringing instructions, know what I mean.

Thanks for the information on the O3 tour and the explanation on how it was designated the O3. I was believing it was for the 3 zones of large O holes, but your explanation sounds like it was how it was really named.

Gaines Hillix
01-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Boomerang huh? Guess the Aussies will love that one :-) . How does this tool work?

gregraven
01-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the information on the O3 tour and the explanation on how it was designated the O3. I was believing it was for the 3 zones of large O holes, but your explanation sounds like it was how it was really named.

Especially considering there are four areas with the large holes.

gregraven
01-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Boomerang huh? Guess the Aussies will love that one :-) . How does this tool work?

Gaines, USRSA members can go to:

http://www.racquettech.com/members/reference/specials_toc.html

and click on the link for the O3 Red and/or O3 Silver to obtain a .pdf file showing the special stringing procedure. USRSA members will, of course, need to register on-line for a user name and password if they have not already done so.

Also, Prince is sending USRSA a few dozen of the boomerangs, so if you find yourself confront one of the new frames sans boomerang, USRSA members can request one free of charge. (This is starting to sound a bit like an ad for USRSA membership, huh?)