PDA

View Full Version : Lasik Eye Surgery

JB
03-25-2004, 11:03 AM
I am contemplating getting Lasik eye surgery. One of the side effects can be seeing rings around lights - noticeable at night. Probably not so good for playing under lights. Has anyone on these boards had this procedure? Feedback greatly appreciated.

hifi heretic
03-30-2004, 03:14 AM
JB,

..I had lasik surgery on both eyes (correction: 1.75 left, 2.25 right) about 2 months ago. Though I did see subtle "halos" around on coming headlights, and streetlights, I never noticed them while playing indoor tennis. Indeed, my vision was much improved by the surgery and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome overall.

Prior to the surgery, I wore daily-wear contacts. Though they generally improved my vision to 20/20, there were times when they would shift out of position while playing, or I would have a slight defective lens in and my vision would suffer. Again, I'm really pleased with the result. My vision is now slightly better than 20/20 and though I'm now 40, I do not yet need reading glasses (though the Dr. assures me I will within another year or two).

tennis*bill
04-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I had lasik back in '99. I was very nearsighted, about -10 in correction. I could see 20/20 w/ my contacts back then. The surgery corrected me to about -1.5 in 1 eye and -.75 in the other eye. Night vision sucks for me now. And w/ contacts now at those low corrections, I don't see 20/20. I'm grateful I don't need any contacts or glasses for 90 % of the day, but to play tennis or see anything at night, I must wear something.

Kayce
04-07-2004, 07:35 PM
I had lasik 1 year ago, was -7 correction. After 9 months I still had halo's and just couldn't see well, especially for indoor tennis. Finally went to my regular optometrist who said I was still nearsighted. Now I wear contacts, -1 in each eye. At first I couldn't be corrected to 20/20, then started doing 'vision cue' exercises on the computer and now I see great with my contacts. Not the success I'd hoped for, but I'm excited that I can see now!

waterpro
05-04-2004, 07:55 AM
I think it all has to do with the technology and the laser used. I had it done this past October. I was at -5 Left eye, and -5.25 Right eye, with about -1.5 astigmatism in both. Glasses suck when playing sports period! In fact I didn't even own a pair becuase I hated glasses so much. I only wore contacts. Becuase of my astigmatism though I needed weighted contacts(torric lenses). When playing sports with rapid head movements though the lenses tended to shift like a pendulum(however you spell it). This caused a momentary blur when approaching a shot. Plus another thing that always kept happening was sweat wedged itself behind the contact lenses so it burned pretty bad.

I did alot of research on the surgury and decided to get it done. I am now inbetween 20/20 and 20/25 in both eyes. I absolutely love it. I found I can pick up the ball alot faster now that there isn't a temporary haze due to shifting contacts. As for side effects. So far the only one I have is that when I watch movies during the credits. If there is a black background and white lettering, I get a phase shift or ghosting every once in a while. As for driving and playing at night, I am perfectly fine. I have no problems what-so-ever.

I would say if you have the money go for it. Just make sure you are going to a good doctor and that they are using the latest lasers. Just for the record, I am 28 and paid $3000 for both eyes using the wavefront technology. Don't go to the $500/eye places. Think of it this way, you only have two eyes, is saving some money worth the added risks for the rest of your life? Go with the good doctors and latest lasers.....