PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Control Zylon: help

lude popper
01-14-2005, 07:21 PM
I know that most people here play with heavier frames, but can anyone tell me about this frame's stringbed response . . . off-center? upper hoop? spin? Control? Comfort? Fun-factor?

It received a great review from TW -- which perked my interest. I can get one cheap...so I thought I'd give it a try

I know that the above-mentioned racquet-factors are mostly a function of user mechanics, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for your help

alan-n
01-14-2005, 07:45 PM
That used to be the racquet I played with before switching to the Ncode 95. The PCZ swings just about as heavy as my current Wilson. Its a very, very stiff racquet, but the babolat woofer systems attempts to soften it up.... I was only able to play well with soft multis strung towards the upper tension ranges with this racquet (57-62lbs). Serving with this racquet was average, but the spin potential on it was good enough as was the pace I got from it. Its not a great racquet for 2-handed backhands at all, you'll find it lacking a bit of oomph or generating the racquet head speed you are used to but it is adequate.... One handed backhands with this racquet are quite awesome if your technique is sound, much better feel than most racquets out there.

The reason why I switched to the ncode was that I was able to hit better backhands (1 handed) and serves with it. Not that one racquet is really better than the other, just as my game has changed I decided to change racquet to suit my game.... That being a "heavier" head light racquet with flexible upper hoop, open string pattern... 95-98" head

You can find good deals on the PCZ, try playing other racquets also.... don't be fooled by the listed weight of the PCZ as it plays and swings about as heavy as the Wilson PS 95".

lude popper
01-15-2005, 07:04 AM
That used to be the racquet I played with before switching to the Ncode 95. The PCZ swings just about as heavy as my current Wilson. Its a very, very stiff racquet, but the babolat woofer systems attempts to soften it up.... I was only able to play well with soft multis strung towards the upper tension ranges with this racquet (57-62lbs). Serving with this racquet was average, but the spin potential on it was good enough as was the pace I got from it. Its not a great racquet for 2-handed backhands at all, you'll find it lacking a bit of oomph or generating the racquet head speed you are used to but it is adequate.... One handed backhands with this racquet are quite awesome if your technique is sound, much better feel than most racquets out there.

The reason why I switched to the ncode was that I was able to hit better backhands (1 handed) and serves with it. Not that one racquet is really better than the other, just as my game has changed I decided to change racquet to suit my game.... That being a "heavier" head light racquet with flexible upper hoop, open string pattern... 95-98" head

You can find good deals on the PCZ, try playing other racquets also.... don't be fooled by the listed weight of the PCZ as it plays and swings about as heavy as the Wilson PS 95".

Thanks! Do you find the N-Code 95 to be too powerful? Would it handle higher tensions with a stiffer string (to tame power)? Is the N-Code stable, comfortable (torque?twist?), spin friendly and good for a two hander?

Thanks again!!

alan-n
01-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks! Do you find the N-Code 95 to be too powerful?

It is powerful for what is considered a "players / control" racquet if thats what you are asking. It is quite overpowering if you have very solid swing speed and stroke efficiency / hitting soundly straight through the ball. Not a problem at all, simply make some adjustments.

Would it handle higher tensions with a stiffer string (to tame power)?

Either stiff strings at the lower tension range (poly @ 50-53lbs), or soft at the higher end and beyond plays well (multis @ 58-63lbs). Your mileage may vary.

Is the N-Code stable, comfortable (torque?twist?), spin friendly and good for a two hander?

Very smooth, very flexible head, very comfortable. But like any 12+ oz 95" racquet, it won't make up for poor technique, lack of preparation nor unstable hits. Only other 12+ oz racquet (so far) that took less effort to generate spin is the traditional POG which has about an open string pattern as they usually come... but its very subtle and doesn't really mean anything as you can always make minor follow-through/stroke adjustments for more / less spin. The more energy you put into creating spin, the less pace the shot will have. I can't really comment of 2 hander as I've only hit for 2 minutes with it, as I haven't played with 2 hands for a couple of years my 2 hander wasn't cutting it anymore and just felt odd, didn't really care as my 1 hander was better.... nothing that had to do with the racquet.