PDA

View Full Version : Low Tension Strings on High Control Frame

wolfpackfive
01-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Being a classic cheapo, I almost never buy frames that aren't on sale. So, I have only recently purchased the Wilson ProStaff Tour 90. What a stick! Very nice control. I had it strung at 55 lbs which I though would be low, but I feel I could go down to about 50 and still have the control I need.

Has anybody ever used low tensions on high control frames? What has been your experience? How might this compare (control-wise) with high tension on low control (high power) frames. I once read that McEnroe experimented with tensions as low as 40! Seems more like a net than a racquet, huh.

carTW
01-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I used to string my racquets near the highest suggested tension, then in the past 3 years I was stringing in the middle of the range and now I went down to the bottom of the range. I have a PS6.0 85 strung at 51 (Wilson NXT) and I like it better this way. No doubt there is a little less control, but nothing wild and it is a lot more comfortable.

Gaines Hillix
01-15-2005, 02:18 PM
IMO, it's a balance between the flexibility of the frame and the string. A low powered frame often has a lot of flex and weighs 12+ oz., so it can already absorb quite a bit of shock. This lends itself to being able to play with strings like LUX ALU power, which is stiff, yet powerful for a poly. Some like this kind of combination for control. But, if you can control it at lower tension the feel may be better and it may be more arm friendly. I tend to string my frames at mid point to 2-3 lbs. over that. Lower than that they feel too soft to me and too powerful. But, this is a personal preference thing.

yip kok kuin
01-15-2005, 03:01 PM
I feel it is the string bed that determine if the racket can take low tension. 18X20 frame such as all 200g, wilson rok, head prestige/radical, I usual do 42 pound. I tried wilson prostaff (16X 18. I think) 6.1 at 42 pound and found it to be totally uncontrollable. 1 seemingly 'control' frame like Volk C10, I have trouble even at 55 pound.

Power Game
01-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Yep, I string my frames pretty low on a constant pull machine

Stormwolf
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Prestige Classic 600 (18x20 string pattern) @ 62 lbs on a constant pull machine. Control.

Ronaldo
01-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Poly has changed completely what are the lower limits of string tension, mid 40s still controllable and your strings last longer.

alan-n
01-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I've been switched over to poly (luxilon BB ALU) for the past 6 months and currently have my NCode 95 (16x18) strung at 50lbs. This after playing with natural gut @ 63 lbs in a stiff racquet such as the Babolat Pure Control.

The only thing that I've given up is a slightly better feel of the ball, which I would glady take to have a durable string bed that last for a couple of months of play which is 2-3 days a week. All other playabilty aspects have remained fairly equal.

finchy
01-15-2005, 07:26 PM
i have my PS 6.0 95 at 56 lbs. i was used to 60+ with monogut on my surge before that, so it was a pretty big change.

actually, it depends on the size of the head of the racquet also. since the head is smaller, it reacts differently rather than a larger head strung at the same weight.

ffrpg
01-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm use to having my racquets strung high (Wilson Tour 90 @66lbs), but now I'm starting to string my racquets at mid tension. It's definitely more comfortable.

jjjosh
01-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Arm problems cause me to start to string low. I had never tried it before because I felt that I would lose too much control, but once started to use it, I realized it was fine. This is in a ncode tour. I tried lower tensions on a ncode 95 and the ball started to fly on me. The tour 90 should be similar to the ncode 90 so I think the low tension should be ok.

schange50
01-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Recently I played with the Wilson Ncode 90 at 46 lbs. with Babolat Fineplay 17. Also, I used to play with the Dunlop Revelation 200G at 48 lbs. with various basic syn guts.

dAgEnIuS
01-15-2005, 09:33 PM
i use Head Intelligence i.extreme, and i'd say it is a high control frame....
but recently, i strung the racket at 60 pounds to get even more control...
i played with it for the first time after i got them back and it was terrible!!!!!!!
it had absolutely no control, power, and feel...
it might be because it was the first time being played after restringing it,
but im not gonna string my rackets higher than 55lbs again....