PDA

View Full Version : Hours of practice.

baseline08thrasher
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm a great player, a potential top 50 in the nation my coach says.
I just need some advice, since my coach doesn't tell me how many hours to practice, he just says what I should do with my practice.
I know practice is accomplishing a new skill, or getting something perfected, and so on.
But what I really want to know is how many hours I should be practicing?
I'm like really obsessed with my hours of playing time, even though I learn something every time I go on the court.
So here's what I practice:
5-7 days a week, sometimes 4 but mostly 5-7 PLUS the extra fitness.
And each time I practice I practice for 2-4 hours.
I practice an average of 15 hours a week to be honest.
How many more hours should I practice to kick it up a knotch?
Because I'm in la-la land stressing myself out over this kind of stuff.

Forehand_Punisher
05-24-2008, 12:57 PM
A lot depends on what your goals are. Do you love tennis and want to be the best player you can? Or would you really rather be doing something else other than pounding tennis balls all day long?

I loved playing tennis and wanted to practice as much as I could. I realized that in order to become the player I wanted to be, I had to make sacrifices. While my friends were chasing girls at the swimming pool all day, I was pounding tennis balls.

In the summer, I'd practice for 6-8 hours a day, or until I was so tired practice just wasn't productive anymore.

It's an individual thing. You know your game and where you want it to be, and how much of a balance of tennis and social life you want. Either way, give a 100% every time you practice, no matter the length of your practice sessions and you'll have no regrets.

Brendan
05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
How old are you and do you have a rank yet? Also, what state do you live in? (sorry if this is too personal im just trying to understand)

Gmedlo
05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I hate to break it to you, but simply practicing for longer periods of time is not going to help improve your game. You need to improve the quality of each practice session, making it as intense as possible and getting in the perfect mix of matchplay/drills that works for you.

anything more than 4 hours a day is most certainly a waste of time; two hours of solid hitting along with tough fitness every day, so that you can eventually handle longer hitting sessions without fatiguing, is going to be much more productive and will result in fewer injuries.

Bottom line is: practice smarter, not harder.

baseline08thrasher
05-24-2008, 04:55 PM
okay Gmedlo you really made my day because I have been doing what you have just said.
I NEVER spend more than 4 hours on the court.
I ALWAYS play as smart as possible.
I Focus and doing everything I can.
I'm VERY SERIOUS, and Would love to go pro.
I was just worried about how long I should Be hitting.
Thanks for clearing it up.
And I do play for like two-Four hours, and then like a couple hours later or before my practice I work on my fitness, for at least 30 minutes of intense stuff.
Because, I don't waste time. :D

Forehand_Punisher
05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
The amount of practice you need to spend on the court is an individual matter. People have different talents and skills and no set amount of time is going to work for everyone. Some people like John McEnroe had loads of talent and probably didn't work as hard as he could have.

People would ask Ivan Lendl how much talent he had in tennis, and he responded, "Well, how do you measure talent?' Yeah, sure, McEnroe had more feel for the ball. But I knew how to work, and I worked harder than he did."

McEnroe was rumored to say, "Lendl has as much talent in his body as I have in my little finger." So how does someone with so little talent become so good? Hard work. Lendl practiced 6 hours/day.

If you have tons of talent and only need 2 hours of practice a day, great. But if not, a great equalizer is working harder and longer than your opponents.

2ndserve642
05-24-2008, 09:47 PM
nvmind .............

SoCal10s
05-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I just need some advice, since my coach doesn't tell me how many hours to practice, he just says what I should do with my practice.
I know practice is accomplishing a new skill, or getting something perfected, and so on.
I'm like really obsessed with my hours of playing time, even though I learn something every time I go on the court.

Hey kiddo ; I wouldn't hold your coach's word for be top 50 in the Nation when you obviously are very much inexperienced... If you didn't know how SoCal sectionals work their draws,you've got a long ,long way to go...
National rankings is really pretty much about money... If you have enough $$$ to travel to go to all the Nat'l tournaments and gain points here and there ,you can achieve a high ranking... Off coarse you still have to win some matches too, but you really have to chase points...
Being in SoCal,if you are real good, you are lucky because we have a lot of Nat'l level tournaments here that you can do those and gain points... It's still a real tough place to play because if you don't get a good draw in SoCal tournaments you'll lose early and won't get too many points toward the Nat'l rankings...
To really improve I would suggest you think QUALITY instead of quantity ... It's not how many hours but how intense you are when you work out... Plus try to play alot of practice matches and use those things your coach's been teaching you so you can feel comfortable doing it in a real match...I also suggest you cross-train ... do the roadwork(run miles)do some aerobics stuff,maybe do some weight training(if you are old enough)and study tennis...You have to be a real student of the game and use your head and fill it up with all kinds of good tennis things...A LOT of work ,that's what it takes .. TENNIS is the hardest sport to get super good at... so you really have to prepare yourself for it.... I can guarantee you that it won't be easy.... Plus 1 more thing ... DON"T EVER GIVE UP... even if you see young guys who are good now ,it doesn't a pile of beans that they will be better than you later when it really counts... Hard work, self-discipline and doing the right things will make you the player you want to be ..

TennisCoachFLA
05-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Like others have said, how much to practice is an individual decision.

However you can go on 2 pieces of advice that have worked for elite tennis players:

1. Always have a plan in place for every practice. Before you even leave the house you should have an exact plan of what you will be working on in the practice session.

2. Practice like you want to play. Some juniors mistake practice for a low intensity, hit around session. It should not be. Practice should be done with the same intensity and focus as a big match.

That # 2 will also help you answer your question about how long to practice. Shorter, but with more intensity is the way to go.

xnarek
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
The way i practice is like minutes on forehand, minutes on backhand, minutes on all kind of strokes. Then i play with someone that is as good, or as better then me(i dont focus on my strokes unless i see that there is something i need to improve, or that i see i get a lot of mistakes on that certain shot)
And im lucky i got private lessons almost everyday 1-2 hours lol

NLBwell
05-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Play tennis, play tennis, play tennis. Some flexibility work and perhaps some weights (depending on your body) could be useful, but not absolutely necessary. Road work would be counterproductive - better to be hitting balls and sprinting around the court. Be intense whenever you are on the court (or the backboard, or whatever). Two hours does not seem to be much if you are trying to become very good. Maybe two hours of intense practice and then a two hours or more of match play. I got good playing 6-8 hours to sometimes even more a day. I didn't have the training that you have, so if you are doing 2 hours of pointed training plus match play, that may be enough. Other kids are doing more, though.

Also, don't stress top much about any of this - it is still a game and is supposed to be fun..

xnarek
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I dono i like tennis, but all this practice for 90% of ur day...isnt it just too much? I actually do it as well, but shouldnt a person go outside and do different things?
I dono myself, i agree with what i said and i disagree with it.

Hatari!
05-25-2008, 06:53 PM
How long you practice doesn't matter if you're not practicing SMART. For example, I only play 2-3 hours a day (this is during the summer too), another hour on physical fitness, and on some days I include a match against another kid, doubles or singles. Much of the other time is spent with other tennis kids and coaches, talking about matches, strokes, dreams, wins, and losses. You won't believe what you can pick up in those conversations: a tip, a weakness in an opponent's game, etc.

baseline08thrasher
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah thanks i've improved alot now, and I did know about sectionals but I've lived overseas so i couldn't play it.
So you can't use it against me, about forgetting how the draw works.
But I'm really good now and your tips have helped.
I allways have an intense schedule now.
thanks.

UnPhzD
08-18-2008, 01:11 AM
practice is good but
tournaments are better lol gets you experience that you need

10isDad
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM
For all you continuing to post, refer to post #9.

Everybody is different, so what works for you is NOT the definitive answer for everybody else.

UnPhzD
08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
not really.. if you go on tournaments its better practice and you get more experience playing against different skill levels and spins and etc you get use to it

baseline08thrasher
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey kiddo ; I wouldn't hold your coach's word for be top 50 in the Nation when you obviously are very much inexperienced... If you didn't know how SoCal sectionals work their draws,you've got a long ,long way to go...
National rankings is really pretty much about money... If you have enough $$$ to travel to go to all the Nat'l tournaments and gain points here and there ,you can achieve a high ranking... Off coarse you still have to win some matches too, but you really have to chase points...
Being in SoCal,if you are real good, you are lucky because we have a lot of Nat'l level tournaments here that you can do those and gain points... It's still a real tough place to play because if you don't get a good draw in SoCal tournaments you'll lose early and won't get too many points toward the Nat'l rankings...
To really improve I would suggest you think QUALITY instead of quantity ... It's not how many hours but how intense you are when you work out... Plus try to play alot of practice matches and use those things your coach's been teaching you so you can feel comfortable doing it in a real match...I also suggest you cross-train ... do the roadwork(run miles)do some aerobics stuff,maybe do some weight training(if you are old enough)and study tennis...You have to be a real student of the game and use your head and fill it up with all kinds of good tennis things...A LOT of work ,that's what it takes .. TENNIS is the hardest sport to get super good at... so you really have to prepare yourself for it.... I can guarantee you that it won't be easy.... Plus 1 more thing ... DON"T EVER GIVE UP... even if you see young guys who are good now ,it doesn't a pile of beans that they will be better than you later when it really counts... Hard work, self-discipline and doing the right things will make you the player you want to be ..

I have lived in thailand.
That's why I didn't know how they worked.
There were a lot of different tournaments down there.
They were easy ones.

Mick
01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
the book that LuckyR read says you would become a world class player if you spent 10,000 hours practicing :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2942951&postcount=1

kikiviva
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
My coach used to say this.

"It doesn't matter how long you hit the balls long time. That doesn't make better tennis."

I though it was not ture, so i said to my coach "I saw many little kids play tennis and they are good, cuz i saw they're playing lone time and they go to tournaments too."

And now he said this offten "What the heck you thinking? What do you think the ball hit the ball well give you going to take lessons? Understanding the principles and lessons received, and you have to learnd them and you have to be used to it. That's the lesson of time and what is coach for it. Don't you think you're wasting money and time?."

I think that is ture but i get mad about that. It is me and i want to improve my tennis. But affter all of this i get shy about that.

The lesson get used to it and i saw my self that i'm just hitting the ball to get over it. Also i was hitting hard.

My coach said "The balls I'm throwing to you and if you hit like that then the ball machine will be better for you."

So now when i go out with my tennis coach , i'm trying to get nervous and i think that balls is the macth ball on the tournament.

Affter take shower and i feel that difference between those two.

kikiviva
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh also my English is sooo bad

cuz English is my 5th langues.

(just kidding) i speak two languse English is my secound langues.

train5524
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
3.5 hrs on court per day (6 days a week)
.75 hrs on court fitness per day (5 days a week)
1.5 hrs weight training per week

adds up to about 26 hrs a week for tennis

Petekbladetour1
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM

if your used to play alot tennis then i think this schedule would be good for u.
5 days a week 3-3.5h tennis
5 days a week 1-1.5h fitness
2 days a week matches

what do you think about this schedule?

Petekbladetour1
01-18-2009, 01:17 PM
75 hrs on court fitness per day (5 days a week)

75h fitness :shock::shock::shock:
His body will burn out man, fast!

Petekbladetour1
01-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh also my English is sooo bad

cuz English is my 5th langues.

(just kidding) i speak two languse English is my secound langues.

langues is spelt language :-)
theres 1 improvement to youre english

tacticaltennis
01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
it is very important to work conditioning into the schedule