PDA

View Full Version : Custom frames = custom grommets??

galain
01-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Can anyone help me out with this? If you were to get a "custom" made frame from say Mr Bosworth - is this based on moulds he may have already lying around that can be adjusted to your specs, or does "custom" really mean that - whole new frame created from scratch to your requests?

I'm not in the market for a new frame, but I'd love to be able to replace some grommet strips for my older raquets that are starting to fall apart, and was thinking that if someone out there can design and make a frame from scratch, they must be able to do the same for the grommets that would presumably go with that frame. In most cases my frames are perfectly okay - but some of them are well beyond even tubing the missing the grommets. I'd love to be able to use them if I could. Do you think it's worth following this up?

Deuce
01-15-2005, 09:26 PM
galain - finding grommets for old frames needn't be an impossible task.

Since I know that you only play with the finest, flexiest, feeliest frames, which need to be used, I will offer two suggestions...

Cut up a grommet strip from another frame, and use them as individual grommets. Just make sure that the width of the strip fits the grommet strip 'groove' of the frame you intend to use them in. Before grommet strips arrived, racquets sported individual grommets... Using this method, you can even introduce a bumper guard to the frame for the first time.

Another suggestion is to order a package of individual grommets. The best place I've found to do so is Alpha http://www.alphatennis.com/grommets.html
TW has the same grommets, but at about 500% more expensive, for some bizarre reason, selling 4 grommets for roughly the same price as you'll pay for a bag of 50 at the other place.

Good luck in getting those frames back on the court where they belong.

Might I assume that you'll be paying particular attention to a particular tournament over the next 14 days?

galain
01-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Hey Deuce!

Happy New Year mate! Thank you indeed for your suggestions - I appreciate them very much. Yes - I arrived home from Christmas in Germany last week and headed straight out to the qualifying tournament to shake off the jet lag. Have to go back to work (rassum frassum) on Tuesday but I did manage to scam tomorrow off so I can go and see the first day of play. Looking forward to it. I'll spare a thought for you up there in the frosty north whilst I'm trying to rid myself of my German snow tan tomorrow!

Take care - thanks again for the reply.

RacquetDoctor
01-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Deuce, I never looked at what TW was selling. WOA!!!
I bought a full set from alpha years ago which contained every size for $46. As you stated, the bag contained about 20-35 individual grommets per size. I have had to buy bags of the more popular sizes...basically the double(knot) hole sizes....but they are $5 for 20-35 (depends on size) grommets...

This was probably one of the best things that I have purchased. I prefer to grind out a bad grommet and replace one with one of these than use tubing...