PDA

View Full Version : The nBlade (MP and OS): what went wrong (or right)?

PimpMyGame
05-27-2008, 03:51 AM
I've had my nBlade 98s for about a year and I remember at the time there was an element of excitement surrounding these rackets. After a brief demo I bought mine as the flex and reduced power suited me more than the APD I was using previously.

The nBlade isn't without its problems - cracks in the throat were widely reported by players who hit hard, or have opponents who hit hard. Fortunately I don't play at that standard. The 18x20 string bed may also have put off some players.

After the big fuss I heard so little about this racket I wondered if everyone had given up using it, and if so, why. Since my second stint at playing tennis started about five years ago, I've never been happier with a racket. I think it provides an excellent platform to modify / experiment with weight and its HL balance makes it very manouevrable IMO.

So let's find out what happened to the nBlade fans - are you still out there? Did you fall out of love with the racket? Did you move on to the kBlade? Let's hear about it.

PimpMyGame
05-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Anyone out there got any nBlade experiences they'd like to share???

nickb
05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Never liked the NBlade...really like and own the K Blade...the N just felt too flexy and had a strange feel to it. I never found it stable either. Also they crack very easily...I know people that love them...I just couldnt find anything to like about the N.

Nick

master_stringer_mitchy
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
the n blade had the double hole thing like the n tour two, made it feel really dead. also, wilson string the demos rubbish, double string them all!

mauricem
05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Love my nblade98, still my goto stick, helped a lot with TE problems and seems the just the right balance between power, control and stability for me.

Can't understand how people say they are similar to the 106.
The OS feels very different to me, way less control, maybe with extra weight it might improve?

Wouldn't mind trying a kblade but I might be kicked out of the cheap player club:shock:

ambro
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Still using it, modified with a leather grip. This is the longest I've ever used a racquet I think. I don't plan on switching soon either.

LanEvo
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
i tried it great stick but just didnt fit my game

Tennisguy777
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
You wanna know what went wrong do you????? Wilson made it too stiff thats what happened. I had 4 of these but couldn't shake the stiffness, or them, it was like a shadow. I even sold them all and 4 months later was back with them. It was pretty that was all about it. It brought me fond memories of my High School days and my Hammer 6.2s (remember the Skunk) But as much as I had missed them I hated them all over again. I now play with a customized Aerogel 300. It is a 50 / 50 mix of LM Radical and Nblade with an open pattern. I don't know what these engineers are thinking putting a 18 x 20 on the Nblade or the Radical are they serious. The Radical I won't even go there they even got the grip geometry all wrong. I string at or above the max suggested tension and those 2 were the worst. I got more feel from my ping pong paddle.

ChuDat
05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I liked my nBlade when I first got it but I've started to grow out of it so I'm switching.

counter_puncher
05-28-2008, 10:07 PM
still using it. stock. havnt settled on a string though currently using full PHT and liking it a lot.

vndesu
05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
nblade is too light and flexible

PimpMyGame
05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Never liked the NBlade...really like and own the K Blade...the N just felt too flexy and had a strange feel to it. I never found it stable either. Also they crack very easily...I know people that love them...I just couldnt find anything to like about the N.

Nick

I understand. Seen one of your vids and you play at a much higher level than I do. The cracking would worry me if I hit the ball harder!

I started to get arm and wrist problems with my APD so the flexy feel helped me out a lot.

PimpMyGame
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
You wanna know what went wrong do you????? Wilson made it too stiff thats what happened. I had 4 of these but couldn't shake the stiffness, or them, it was like a shadow. I even sold them all and 4 months later was back with them. It was pretty that was all about it. It brought me fond memories of my High School days and my Hammer 6.2s (remember the Skunk) But as much as I had missed them I hated them all over again. I now play with a customized Aerogel 300. It is a 50 / 50 mix of LM Radical and Nblade with an open pattern. I don't know what these engineers are thinking putting a 18 x 20 on the Nblade or the Radical are they serious. The Radical I won't even go there they even got the grip geometry all wrong. I string at or above the max suggested tension and those 2 were the worst. I got more feel from my ping pong paddle.

Quite surprised to see you found them too stiff, if anything people normally find them too flexible:shock:. As for the string pattern, I guess it's horses for courses. I also have a Radical and although I agree the grip is a little strange, I was able to fix that quickly.:)

PimpMyGame
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
nblade is too light and flexible

Flex is your personal preference. However, I feel it's a good racket to customise, if you want to add weight.

PimpMyGame
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Love my nblade98, still my goto stick, helped a lot with TE problems and seems the just the right balance between power, control and stability for me.

Can't understand how people say they are similar to the 106.
The OS feels very different to me, way less control, maybe with extra weight it might improve?

Wouldn't mind trying a kblade but I might be kicked out of the cheap player club:shock:

Still using it, modified with a leather grip. This is the longest I've ever used a racquet I think. I don't plan on switching soon either.

still using it. stock. havnt settled on a string though currently using full PHT and liking it a lot.

Glad to see it's still popular with some of us!!

counter_puncher
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Glad to see it's still popular with some of us!!

YE BRo!!! HARD!!!

rooski
06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Still have mine. Slightly modified. Love 'em. I occasionally cheat with new sexy rackets but always come home to the plush feel and sick control of the nBlade :)

Tennisguy777
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Didn't bother customizing them figured they would crack or something. 1 of them developed the infamous nBlade throat disease on both sides of throat. I liked the grips though.

zidane339
06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Loved the NBlade 98 and how it feels, esp serving. Switched over to the Kblade Tour. Felt it was even better at groundstrokes.