PDA

View Full Version : Babolat aeropro drive

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
So basically, before I buy the racket, is the babolat aeropro drive good for serving, and topspin on forehands?
Cause those are my 2 main strong points.

[d]ragon
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
the apd is very topspin friendly on both wings. i shouldnt hav any problem producing any

serve is a different story. i had trouble maxing out my serve. it was great for spin 2nd serves, but it didnt feel right when going for the big one down the T. i think some lead tape woulda helped with that

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
ragon;2370643']the apd is very topspin friendly on both wings. i shouldnt hav any problem producing any

serve is a different story. i had trouble maxing out my serve. it was great for spin 2nd serves, but it didnt feel right when going for the big one down the T. i think some lead tape woulda helped with that

really?
i heard all babolats were serving beasts..

[d]ragon
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM
that would be the PDs and PDRs mostly

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
ragon;2370652']that would be the PDs and PDRs mostly

oh, really?
so the APD isn't really a serving beast.
woww.

[d]ragon
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
atleast that was my finding. other TTW members should be chiming in. perhaps if u were to polarize it

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 09:48 PM
ragon;2370658']atleast that was my finding. other TTW members should be chiming in. perhaps if u were to polarize it

how do i polarize it?
haha, i'm a noob.

[d]ragon
05-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Polarization is term to describe the difference in two racquets that are the same weight and balance but the polarized one has that weight more distributed to the head and butt and the nonpolarized one has the weight more towards the balance point (in the middle).

Think about the batons that twirlers use, there is a reason they have those heavy rubber things on the ends --> so they will spin like crazy. That is why a polarized setup has more spin potential, because the windshield wiper-like motion of the modern FH imparts so much topspin.

it might increase ur serving potential but it also depends on u. it might also affect ur other shots (good or bad, depends on u )

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
ragon;2370669']it might increase ur serving potential but it also depends on u. it might also affect ur other shots (good or bad, depends on u )

oh, i see.
and what does 10 characters mean?
again, im a noob.

[d]ragon
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
just a way to get passed the minimum of ten characters to post. btw, i edited my post too

xpaulinabearx
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
ragon;2370683']just a way to get passed the minimum of ten characters to post. btw, i edited my post too

haha, oh, i see.
kk.

Ross K
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm familiar with several Bab sticks but not unfortunately the APD. However, from what I've heard from good sources, it's not quite as easy to serve bombs with almost immediately (as is the case the PD and PDR.) No, the APD takes a little while to get tuned into. However, once you've worked on it a while, there's plenty of destructive action to be found. And, due to it being a relatively light frame, of course, many ppl put lead tape on theirs to try and enhance the serve potential. You might want to search the topic, or just be patient... there's lots of APD users frequenting these boards.

samej07
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
^^^ nice call ross. lol. i happen to be one of these apd users you speak of.

xpaulinabearx, i think you are right on que with your assesment. i have always thought that the apd was good for serving and for massive topspin groundies. it has the ability to generate tons of spin off the ground, while still alowing me to drive the ball flat when i want to. being able to hit the ball flat is important to me since i have a relatively flat 2h backhand. i can whip short angles or i can short-hop it and drive it deep. its just all an around good racket off the ground.

as for serving, its good depending on what your looking for. i imediately picked up probably 6 inches to a foot of height on my kick serve, and im not exagerating. it is a little tougher to get all the mph's you might want on the flat serve though. so... like several people have already said, i added lead and now i can hit whatever i want.

with just a little tweaking the apd can be your typical big serving, massive topspin giving, babolat.

:)

smO
05-28-2008, 03:46 AM
There's like million threads on the APD, you should use search..

xpaulinabearx
05-28-2008, 08:26 AM
^^^ nice call ross. lol. i happen to be one of these apd users you speak of.

xpaulinabearx, i think you are right on que with your assesment. i have always thought that the apd was good for serving and for massive topspin groundies. it has the ability to generate tons of spin off the ground, while still alowing me to drive the ball flat when i want to. being able to hit the ball flat is important to me since i have a relatively flat 2h backhand. i can whip short angles or i can short-hop it and drive it deep. its just all an around good racket off the ground.

as for serving, its good depending on what your looking for. i imediately picked up probably 6 inches to a foot of height on my kick serve, and im not exagerating. it is a little tougher to get all the mph's you might want on the flat serve though. so... like several people have already said, i added lead and now i can hit whatever i want.

with just a little tweaking the apd can be your typical big serving, massive topspin giving, babolat.

:)

wow, thanks for the help !!!
;b
oh yeah, i know this is really random, but i hit a 87 mph serve yesterday..
haha i was so happy.

Nellie
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
The APD does not have a lot of weight in the hoop, so I do not find it to be great for first serves. Per comments above, it really helps you get head speed for good kick/slice.

I like the Pure Storm for blasting serves, but that racquet is heavy.

Serpententacle
05-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Add some lead in the hoop and you can make for a better serve, no?

Double Fault
05-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with the fact that it is not easy to serve bombs down the T with the APD, but there is no better racquet for spin.

DonBot
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Even Nadal has problems hitting much over 115 with it consistently, if you make the switch I would just stick to topspin/kick serves and rely on the action of the ball rather than speed. It just does not hit flat bombs the way the PDR or other 12oz+ racquets do. You just have to decide how much you love your ground game and is it worth no having a massive flat serve in your arsenal. To be honest flat serves are pretty over rated, I would take depth and placement over 120mph+ what good is it of it lands half way between the service box and the baseline?

BennyLava
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
its really all about the technique of your serve.. nadal is not a strong server (a consistent one.. but not strong).. which is why his numbers are low.. i'm pretty sure roddick, fedex, or sampras can serve well with any racquet (after a bit of lead of course).. for my tastes though.. i find the apd really sings after polarizing the racquet with about 24 grams of lead.. which is why i'm just gonna switch to a heavier racquet.. haha

herosol
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Even Nadal has problems hitting much over 115 with it consistently, if you make the switch I would just stick to topspin/kick serves and rely on the action of the ball rather than speed. It just does not hit flat bombs the way the PDR or other 12oz+ racquets do. You just have to decide how much you love your ground game and is it worth no having a massive flat serve in your arsenal. To be honest flat serves are pretty over rated, I would take depth and placement over 120mph+ what good is it of it lands half way between the service box and the baseline?

truth. well-placed slices can be just as a good of an ace as a flat one.
why? you win the point both ways.

kcmiser
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
For all I can tell, a Pure Drive Roddick is just a heavy Pure Drive, and the APDC is mostly just a slightly softer Pure Drive painted bright yellow. Yet, to hear it, the PDR is the biggest beast on the market for serves, and the APDC is some crazy spin machine.

I honestly think the perception of both racquets has more to do with the marquee player endorsing each than the attributes of the racquets themselves. When players demo' them and are told they will serve heavier or spin more, they begin wailing on their serves or rolling over their forehands like a European dirtballer. Thus, the prediction actually turns out to be accurate, but more because of the placebo effect.

The APDC is fine for serves (I play one myself, and I think it's a solid racquet, but horribly overhyped on this board), including the flat serve down the "T".

Banks
05-28-2008, 05:37 PM
For all I can tell, a Pure Drive Roddick is just a heavy Pure Drive, and the APDC is mostly just a slightly softer Pure Drive painted bright yellow. Yet, to hear it, the PDR is the biggest beast on the market for serves, and the APDC is some crazy spin machine.

I honestly think the perception of both racquets has more to do with the marquee player endorsing each than the attributes of the racquets themselves. When players demo' them and are told they will serve heavier or spin more, they begin wailing on their serves or rolling over their forehands like a European dirtballer. Thus, the prediction actually turns out to be accurate, but more because of the placebo effect.

The APDC is fine for serves (I play one myself, and I think it's a solid racquet, but horribly overhyped on this board), including the flat serve down the "T".

i agree. I was hoping someone would say this before i did lol. It is over hyped, but i love it to death lol.

Nellie
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
No one is saying that the Aeropro is bad for serving - only that it really does nothing to help your serve.

I find signficant difference between the pure drive and the aeropro. While the aero stuff (faster through the air) is stupid marketing, the shape of the throat does provide better spin and takes away from a flat serve. Specifcally, the throat of the Aeropro drive seem to give more flex in the direction perpendicular to the place of the face and more rigidity in the plane of the face.

All racquets on the board are overhyped, because the racquet does not do much for you (shot me if I have to read any more about the plow through of the K90), but if you are looking for a racquet, you might as well find a good fit for your game.

Me, I like the aeropro because I hit with big top spin from a long and loopy stroke that starts at my feet and ends around my ears.

pricey_aus
05-29-2008, 04:22 AM
i hit with the apd for about 4 days a little while ago, and by then i was just starting to get used to it. maybe its just me tho :S