PDA

View Full Version : aerogel 200 or head mic prest pro

markwillplay
05-28-2008, 05:25 AM
simple question to any who have played with both of them. Which worked for you and why? In my search for a smaller head (than OS) stick, this is where I have arrived. I will make my own decision but it will be pretty quick. I always like to hear from others who have played extensively with both in match play. Stability on volleys, serve, 1hbh...over all feel/vibeetc...

My serve is a huge part of my game and I S&V mostly. I play pretty well with Donnay OS but want to get into a bit smaller head size that is just a bit more accurate on serves. I have tried most and have actually hit with both of these for a brief time. I play about 3 times a week on a 4.0 level. I am in good shape and not afraid of a little weight. I just find that over all, when I am on, I volley better with smaller heads and serve a little better with them as well. I need control on groundies (semi western forhand with good spin but not extreme western).

Demo History (mp's),

Yonex rds 002 tour (could not control it from the back...served great though))
Donnay mp (a little to soft for my liking and felt a little strange the way it swung)
Volkle c10 pro (mine was 12.7 oz and felt like a tree trunk..never grooved with it)
Wilson K factor 95 (served off the hook with it!!!! afraid of stiffness for my arm though so I left it alone)

Blade0324
05-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I have played with both pretty extensively and found this. They are very different feeling frames. The AG200 is a very stable stick and feels very nice on impact for groundies and also feels like you can really place volleys exactly wheare you want them. What is seemed to lack for me was spin on serves and from the baseline. The MGPP is an excellent serving stick and I love the way it feels from the baseline. Volleys are a bit harder to control with this one for me personally and it does not seem to have quite as much "plow" throught the ball. I settled on the MGPP for my singles play as I serve better with it and that is a big part of my game especially variety of serve. I am mostly a baseliner that does like to follow a good pressing ground stroke to the net to finish points when I can but mostly stay back. I have good variety of serve to go with good pace. I play a 2HBH and semi western FH 3.5 player. One other stick you may want to consider in the RQIS 1 tour. This stick has wonderful control, I love how it serves and I personally volley better with it than either of the previously mentioned frames. If you can give that one a go too.

The FishEXpress
05-28-2008, 06:38 AM
I have played with both pretty extensively and found this. They are very different feeling frames. The AG200 is a very stable stick and feels very nice on impact for groundies and also feels like you can really place volleys exactly wheare you want them. What is seemed to lack for me was spin on serves and from the baseline. The MGPP is an excellent serving stick and I love the way it feels from the baseline. Volleys are a bit harder to control with this one for me personally and it does not seem to have quite as much "plow" throught the ball. I settled on the MGPP for my singles play as I serve better with it and that is a big part of my game especially variety of serve. I am mostly a baseliner that does like to follow a good pressing ground stroke to the net to finish points when I can but mostly stay back. I have good variety of serve to go with good pace. I play a 2HBH and semi western FH 3.5 player. One other stick you may want to consider in the RQIS 1 tour. This stick has wonderful control, I love how it serves and I personally volley better with it than either of the previously mentioned frames. If you can give that one a go too.

try the aerogel 200 16x19 leaded up.

Shaolin_sword36
05-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Open vs. closed too. About the AG200 to get it up to my preferred 13oz I would have to add over an oz. I felt I couldn't swing through the ball as hard as I wanted nor could I generate enough kick or spin. Flat serves and volleys were unbelievably stable with the AG200 -- I knew right away that this was a very solid racquet. However the MGPP felt like a heavier, more solid version of the AG300 so I went with that.

markwillplay
05-28-2008, 12:14 PM
well, this is round one withthe dunlop. I played 5 sets today with it. It has gosen syngut at 57 lbs. At first, I thought it swung a little heavy but it did not tire me out. I had no trouble generating spin off the ground with it and suprising enough, I had very few mis hits. I know I should just go out and hit all my shots but I wanted to throw it in a match type sitchuation right off the bat just to see. I definately found a flat serve that I hardly ever use with my OS sticks. Seemed to be really heavy flat serve and very accurate. My normal slice serve stoke (which is my go to serve) seemed not to work as well. It was a bit harder to get spin on serve with this stick but with a more deliberate motion, I ws able to get it going. I liked the way it felt on volleys. This stick seems very solid and stable to me everywhere. Overall, I was impressed and although I was not getting my usual high kick on spin serves, the control on serve was a great asset. This one is very smooth and seems to have good plow through. I had forgotten what it was like to play with a stick this stable off the ground. No twisting or accidents. So far, I like it. I was playing someone who I can beat easily though and It will be interesting to play against someone who will puch me harder.

basil J
05-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Mark, it appears that you and I are having racquet parralells. I too have picked up some areogel 200's and find that they are tremendous in spin, control and touch, but lack the pop in serve of a wilson 6.1 or RDS 002 tour. Just for a test, I strung an RDS 002 tour with 17' prince poly at 64# and PSGD in the crosses at 62#. I lost nothing on my serve and really improved the control quite a bit. I went out and played a matched a smoked a guy 6-1, 6-2 in less than an hour that had beat me a few weeks ago fairly easily. The big difference was that I could swing out and the ball was not sailing any where as bad as when I was in the low 60's or high 50's for tension. I like the tour because it is really comfortable. As much as my Redondo was but with much more power. I am going back & forth between frames now when I play and have found that the aerogel actually is less forgiving in the area of comfort than the yonex. I like both of these frames equally but for different reasons and will follow your progress with interest, since we seem to have very similar tastes and issues.

markwillplay
05-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I hit with the aerogel this morning again and had nrg2 17 in it at 60 lbs. man what control. I actually thought my serve was more powerful but that is because I think I can get flatter ones in easier. I like the nrg2 17 better than the gosen syn gut that is in the other one (I got 2 in the trade). I am going to try the mic presige pro and make a final decision. I just gave up on the yonex. Did not want to have to string it at the top of the tension range. Maybe I quit too early but I want to jive with a stick quickly. It will be interesting to play a match with the aerogel tomorrow and then hopefully a match with the head on Saturday.

jackson vile
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I like PSG in the 200, honestly don't give up that kind of control. Adjust it with string and tension. If you like poly try the Silver String 18g, if you like to keep it soft try a set of the Rip Control.

For spin just learn to swing out more and more, soon you will like having a low powered racket.

markwillplay
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM
well this is gonna be fun. I now have the mic prestige pro in my possession. It took a little lead in the hoop but I have all three (the dunlops and the head) measuring 12.0, 12.1 and 12.2 oz and all showing about 8 pts headlight by my crude table measurements which are pretty dog gon accurate compared to a machine (I have measured same sticks with both). I think I will be able to give a really good review of how these two sticks play for me. Feels like the head is strung a bit lower so I will take that into account. I own all these sticks (uggghhhh) so I will have plenty of time to evaluate. I think I can determine serve evaluation quickly, but other things will take some time. I sort of hope that I like the dunlops better becasue I already have 2 but I will make an unbiased comparison and if I like the head better, I will sell the Dunlops and get a head (I like to have 2 sticks at least that are the same). Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.