PDA

View Full Version : Vintage frame score - Wilson Ultra FPK 95

netman
05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Just picked up a Wilson Ultra FPK 95 in 8/10 condition. Its even my grip size. Reading through prior post indicates this is a well respected frame from the early 90's. Should suit my S&V game well.

This one weighs in at 349g (12.3 oz) and is 12 pts HL. I prefer to string down at the low end of a frame's tension range. Anybody know how this one will fair with co-poly in the 55 range?

Thanks
-k-

Richard Pur
05-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Just picked up a Wilson Ultra FPK 95 in 8/10 condition. Its even my grip size. Reading through prior post indicates this is a well respected frame from the early 90's. Should suit my S&V game well.

This one weighs in at 349g (12.3 oz) and is 12 pts HL. I prefer to string down at the low end of a frame's tension range. Anybody know how this one will fair with co-poly in the 55 range?

Thanks
-k-

Netman,

This may be your lucky day. I just finally (or think I did) made my final switch to the Pro X1 after using the FPK since 1991. I stocked up on the FPK 95 back then and still have one brand new one in the closet. The ones I was playing with were pretty beaten up and I figured to go to the one new one would be so different in playing characteristics, it made no sense.

This is by far, IMHO, maybe the best S & V frame ever. The volleying prowess of this baby was second to none. The ProX1 gets me a lot more free points with the extra power, but maybe I was just playing with dead racquets. I'll take my FPK's out for a final spin in the next couple of weeks to make sure I'm not making the biggest mistake of leaving my FPK's behind. The new one still has plastic on the grip. However, the grip is 4 5/8". That seems to detract a lot of people these days. I'll keep you in mind when I finally let the new one, and the beaten up ones go.

Have fun with it. I always used Leona 66 in it, so I can't help you on your string choice.

Didn't you play with the Pro X1? If so, you get some of the same feel. Bigger sweetspot on the FPK. And as good as most people say the Pro X1 volleys, the FPK is better (more dwell time). You should get more spin from the FPK as well.

Rich

Rich

A_Instead
05-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Yes, I loved the FPK 95 as well. I wish that Wilson would reintroduce this frame.
That thin tip and the taper to the thick handle was great.
Perhaps I wil try a ProX1. Where can I buy one?

netman
05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Pur;2373941]Netman,Didn't you play with the Pro X1? If so, you get some of the same feel. Bigger sweetspot on the FPK. And as good as most people say the Pro X1 volleys, the FPK is better (more dwell time). You should get more spin from the FPK as well.

Rich/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info. I'm a die hard Yonex RDS 001 player these days so the FPK will be used for fun and some comparisons. I never did play the X1, but did use the Pro Braided Henman for awhile. Really liked that frame but decided it had a touch to much stiffness for me.

Do you have the stiffness and swingweight specs on the FPK.

-k-

Richard Pur
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Do you have the stiffness and swingweight specs on the FPK.

-k-[/QUOTE]

I don't have any of the information as we are accustomed to now. All I know is the racquet was really manueverable for its weight, so it was pretty headlight (as you previously mentioned) and it was pretty stiff (moreso in the throat - obviously because of the thicker taper there). It had a Swing Index rating (as per Wilson racquets) of 5.0. So it was stiffer in theory than the 6.0 Prostaff 95. But the thinner head gave it that uniqueness of having feel for volleys, even though the above-mentioned stiffness gave it adequate power. I think the combination of fiberglass kevlar and whatever the P stood for, gave it a softer feel than the 6.0 Prostaff.

You should have a lot of fun with your new purchase. I should also mention it hits an amazing underspin backhand.

Rich

Richard Pur
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, I loved the FPK 95 as well. I wish that Wilson would reintroduce this frame.
That thin tip and the taper to the thick handle was great.
Perhaps I wil try a ProX1. Where can I buy one?

If you liked the FPK, the Pro X1 is about the closest thing I have found. Unfortunately, the Pro X1's are getting harder to find. Fortunately for me, I was able to scrap up 4 extra ones (one new and 3 used) a few weeks ago as I was getting ready to commit to the stick. It looks like it was perfect timing for me, because since that time, I haven't seen them around as much.

Maybe a large group of us can commit to buying a certain number of FPK's to get Wilson to at least do a special shipment to TW (like the Prostaff 6.0's were done). I would be good for 5-10 of them depending on price. Anyone else in? If that happened, I know of 6 Pro X1's that would be available.

Rich

jorel
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
leoinna huh

gotta tri it on my FPK

Richard Pur
05-30-2008, 04:15 AM
leoinna huh

gotta tri it on my FPK

Well, it's not the greatest string, but I just used it on the racquet because the guy who originally sold me my first FPK strung my racquets and that's what he used. I just got accustomed to it and never thought about changing it. I even used the Wilson Shock trap. So that racquet was really soft (dead to most people). But it helped me hit jaw dropping drop shots.

I don't think many here think anything good about Leona 66, but feel free. Let me know what you think. A slight upgrade would be Gosen OG micro Sheep.

jorel
05-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Well, it's not the greatest string, but I just used it on the racquet because the guy who originally sold me my first FPK strung my racquets and that's what he used. I just got accustomed to it and never thought about changing it. I even used the Wilson Shock trap. So that racquet was really soft (dead to most people). But it helped me hit jaw dropping drop shots.

I don't think many here think anything good about Leona 66, but feel free. Let me know what you think. A slight upgrade would be Gosen OG micro Sheep.

i have always loved leoina.. i love the sticky softness that is so unique (even gut does not have this characteristic) (even tho gut has many more other great characters) but i love leoina in wood... the string seems made for au nautral wood. the sticky softness fits perfectly with the flexy feel of wood.... which now makes me want to try the FPK with Leoinna... maybe i will get the wood feel with a current (vintage) graphite offering

i also love leoina in a cross hybrid with polys in the main

Richard Pur
05-30-2008, 09:48 AM
i have always loved leoina.. i love the sticky softness that is so unique (even gut does not have this characteristic) (even tho gut has many more other great characters) but i love leoina in wood... the string seems made for au nautral wood. the sticky softness fits perfectly with the flexy feel of wood.... which now makes me want to try the FPK with Leoinna... maybe i will get the wood feel with a current (vintage) graphite offering

i also love leoina in a cross hybrid with polys in the main

Wow. It's refreshing to see someone else not buy into "the string is everything" type mentality. If you grew up in the wood racquet era, you should be able to play with anything. Also, unless you're a 5.0 plus (I'm a strong 4.0) or above, I don't see the strings as much of a concern as they seem to be. People should be more concerned about their game. In fact, I relished the feeling of showing up at a match with a 16-year old racquet strung with Leona 66 and beating people who thought they were hot stuff (who play with gut, hybrids, etc. and the latest racquets) and treated you like you were from the wrong side of the tracks.

And since I am so accustomed to the lower grade string, playing with a "better" string actually detracts from my game since it plays so different.

Switching subjects, as I mentioned previously in this thread, I did take the FPK out for a spin last night, and my FPK era may be gone at last. You guys may be seeing the brand new FPK for sale soon, along with 4 beaten up ones and a set of grommets.

Rich

retrowagen
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
It's the epitome of low-tech, but there's nothing wrong with Leoina 66. From 1985-1991, playing ITF juniors and even some Challengers, Leoina 66, 15L was all I used in my Kneissls, Max 200G's, and Head mids. And I never had any arm troubles, even stringing over manufacturer's max tension on my frames.

It's not to everyone's liking, but it does offer some unique performance attributes that other strings just can't do... and there probably isn't a more cost-effective string out there.

FWIW, I think the FPK 95 is the best all-round performance racket Wilson made after the original ProStaff 85. It's actually quite similar to the Ultra 2 Mid in its taper from tip to handle and its overall feel is between that of the original PS85 and the U2 Mid. It's totally relevant to today's game, too, and not nearly as one-dimensional (power Power POWER) as so many of the current frames. A decent player can hit anything with this frame.

netman
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
All of you have me chomping at the bit to taking my new acqusition out for a round of tennis. Can't wait to hit some volleys with it.

-k-

jorel
05-30-2008, 11:47 AM
i actually grew up laying with a Prince OS but just recently found the joy of wood

retrowagen
05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
All of you have me chomping at the bit to taking my new acqusition out for a round of tennis. Can't wait to hit some volleys with it.

Yes, by all means try it out. It should be fun.

The only thing I didn't like about the frame was its variable density string pattern, like other Wilson products. That may have some advantages for S/V tennis, but in my opinion based on my playtests when the rackets were introduced, my groundies suffered as the stringbed behaved differently over its width and height, not uniform, as the string grids were of various size and shape. Grids of the same size (as much as possible) over the entire hitting area make for a more homogenous feel and bite over the full face, IMO.

BTW: "Vintage"??? Early 1990's qualifies as Vintage? Gosh, I hope not (that would make me, what, Neolithic?). Classic, maybe, or even "post-classic/pre-modern"??

Captain Haddock
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
The Ultra FPK and the Ultra Kevlar MP have always been my favorite Wilson frames. I still have 2 new sets of bumpers/grommets for them, if anyone is interested (one blue and one white, I think).

Richard Pur
06-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes, by all means try it out. It should be fun.

The only thing I didn't like about the frame was its variable density string pattern, like other Wilson products. That may have some advantages for S/V tennis, but in my opinion based on my playtests when the rackets were introduced, my groundies suffered as the stringbed behaved differently over its width and height, not uniform, as the string grids were of various size and shape. Grids of the same size (as much as possible) over the entire hitting area make for a more homogenous feel and bite over the full face, IMO.

BTW: "Vintage"??? Early 1990's qualifies as Vintage? Gosh, I hope not (that would make me, what, Neolithic?). Classic, maybe, or even "post-classic/pre-modern"??

Interesting observation about the stringbed vs. groundies. I don't have that level of expertise on the subject, but one of our well-respected longtimers, NBMJ, at least a couple of years ago said the same thing about the FPK and that groundies weren't the best.

And regarding the label "Vintage", with racquets not being around for more that a year or two these days, "Vintage" probably means anything over 5-10 years. Heck, in a couple of years, Vantage might be Vintage. : )

A_Instead
06-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Yes, Lets all get together and request TW and Wilson to reintroduce the FPK 95.

jorel
06-02-2008, 04:37 AM

and with that the

6.0 85 , 6.0 95, Ultra, 6.1 tour.......

daveyboy
06-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Dono't forget the ultra graphite- the "low end" of the 3 frames (FPK, Kevlar, and the Graphite). Red frame, 95 sq in. I went through 20 of them.

I had 4, they all broke in the same spot, I sent them back to wilson, they replenished. This happened 5 times total in a 3 year period. After the last batch they finally said "use the Pro Staff 6.1". Never really liked it, so I switched to dunlop...bad move. I used them for about a month. Then switched to a head prestige knockoff for about a year.....and so on so on so forth.

I'd love to try the Kevlar, the FPK was a little too stiff for my arm. To bring the line back would be AWESOME.

gsquicksilver
06-02-2008, 08:22 AM
post some pics! :)

Richard Pur
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM

Right after I entered in one of my posts on this thread, I did send a thread to the TW staff asking to bring back the FPK, just like they did the Donnay Pro One Int'l and Head Classic Tour. No go though. I told them I'd be good for 5-10 of them. And I thought when TW was still getting orders of the 6.0 PS, that they had to have a minimum order of 200 racquets? Does that sound familiar to anyone? So, would Wilson bring back the frame if we had a commitment for 200 FPK's?

Rich

monomakh
08-13-2008, 06:26 AM
The Ultra FPK and the Ultra Kevlar MP have always been my favorite Wilson frames. I still have 2 new sets of bumpers/grommets for them, if anyone is interested (one blue and one white, I think).

I'm late to the game on this, but if the FPK grommets are still available, let me know. I'm in serious need of a set.

Switching subjects, as I mentioned previously in this thread, I did take the FPK out for a spin last night, and my FPK era may be gone at last. You guys may be seeing the brand new FPK for sale soon, along with 4 beaten up ones and a set of grommets.

Rich

Likewise if the racquets are still around. I still haven't found anything to adequately replace my FPKs of old, so I figure why not stick with 'em?

csmoore at gmail dot com

mental midget
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
i played this frame throughout high school, and for a few years after that. i remember one of the frames i used was significantly lighter than the others, for whatever reason. i traded it to a friend for some widebody yonex . . . and never stopped regretting it.

the fpk ultra was a great stick. i've never hit a harder serve than with that exceptionally light frame, and all of them were phenomenal touch frames. slices, drop shots, so much feedback, without being jarring. definitely a fantastic all-court game racket.

cephas
10-28-2008, 04:37 AM

the for sale forum is a good place to look if you are interested in obtaining one

giles
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know what an Ultra FPK is likley to be worth? My brother has a couple which he bought in America(we're in the UK) in the nineties. He rarely played and hasn't touched them since. As I remember they were in great condition complete with the cases. Am I correct in thinking these were the metallic blue rackets?

mental midget
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know what an Ultra FPK is likley to be worth? My brother has a couple which he bought in America(we're in the UK) in the nineties. He rarely played and hasn't touched them since. As I remember they were in great condition complete with the cases. Am I correct in thinking these were the metallic blue rackets?

correct.

with rackets like this, which don't have an immediate 'commodity' value like a ps85 (so widely traded still that the market has sort of settled on a 'fair price'), it's really dependent on who's looking for it, when. get two nostalgia-plagued guys in a bidding war, could be over 100 bucks, i'm guessing, in great condition. while not impossible to find, people aren't exactly tripping over them, either.

on an average day, my guess would be maybe 40-80 dollars or so. but again, you might get no bites, you might stir up a frenzy.

i'd buy them if i hadn't just loaded up on a few frames, it's a fantastic racket.

Kirko
01-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks
-k-

I had one did not work out for me its a serve & volley frame probably on of the best. I think anything in the 55 lbs. range would be A-okay. Scott Davis used this frame. I've seen him play and he was the mensch. he used the wislon advantage at one time also.