PDA

View Full Version : Any Pros Or Humans Playing With Short Racquets ?

D. Nelson
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
That about says it.....I'm curious if anybody is playing with anything SHORTER than standard 27" frames....whether BOUGHT as a shorter length (junior models, etc...) OR modified/customized ....... I am SO 'hooked' on playing with a shorter frame...exCEPT for: struggling to 'reach' on serves...and getting beat on short-angle-out shots hit to me (especially backhand)...esPECIALLY (obviously!) in doubles....ggggrrr !! But the headspeed/enjoyment/AND control I get really has me 'schitzed out' !!

BNK
05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
I personally can't use junior or shorter models but whatever works for you...

Anyway kids ARE human beings you know

D. Nelson
05-28-2008, 05:49 PM
....Hahahaaa!! Depends on who you ask....... :) !!!!!

Errol
05-28-2008, 05:53 PM
I believe current world number 2 Rafael Nadal uses a racquet of 26 7/8".

D. Nelson
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
...I'd heard/read that too.....might be a measurement mistake...or Babolat's 'measurement' (read as quality control!!) --- actually, I've measured QUITE a few frames that were 'supposed' to be 27", but were NOT.....most were Head,Babolat,Fischer !!

10sfreak
05-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I've always wondered if I wouldn't gain more control with a little bit shorter racquet - say about 26.5". I'd be curious if anyone's tried this, and if they added weight to the hoop to make up for the lower swingweight.

stalako
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I read last year that ivo karlovic is using a shorter racquet because he is so tall he has a cutomize grip which is about 4 9/8 . his arm are so long that he is using a head instinct shorter than 27 inches long

movdqa
05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
One of the guys that I play with takes a half-inch off the bottom of his racquets. He's been doing this for at least ten years.

10sfreak
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
One of the guys that I play with takes a half-inch off the bottom of his racquets. He's been doing this for at least ten years.
How tall is your friend, and do you know if he adds weight to compensate for the lower swingweight?

anirut
05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I read last year that ivo karlovic is using a shorter racquet because he is so tall he has a cutomize grip which is about 4 9/8 . his arm are so long that he is using a head instinct shorter than 27 inches long

That sounds like a 5 1/8 ??

Whatever ...

A "standard" racket runs somewhere between 26 15/16" - 27 1/16". That's what I have measured from my collection. There are certainly variations in their manufacture.

I've adjusted my PK BlackAce & Redondo to be 27 1/16". This is becaue I wanted to compensate for the little extensions of the bumper and the butt cap.

Dunlop Rev Tour 90, stock: 26 15/16".
Volkl C9 Pro, stock: 27 1/16".
Estusa (Granny stick): 27 1/16", no bumper.
Puman Davis Cup Competition: 27.0", no bumper.

BullDogTennis
05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
That sounds like a 5 1/8 ??

you beat me to it!

i read that and was like wait, we need to carry that 9 and it would turn into 1ha...

movdqa
05-28-2008, 07:37 PM
How tall is your friend, and do you know if he adds weight to compensate for the lower swingweight?

He's about 5-7 and he doesn't add weight.

I was last reminded of this when I loaned him a racquet and he returned it to me and I noticed that it was shorter than my K90s. We did a trade in the past where we swapped one of these for an FXP Team. So he had given me the wrong racquet.

It maybe something to do with proportionality to body size where a shorter racquet feels better to someone shorter despite creating a bigger problem with reach.

10sfreak
05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
He's about 5-7 and he doesn't add weight.

I was last reminded of this when I loaned him a racquet and he returned it to me and I noticed that it was shorter than my K90s. We did a trade in the past where we swapped one of these for an FXP Team. So he had given me the wrong racquet.

It maybe something to do with proportionality to body size where a shorter racquet feels better to someone shorter despite creating a bigger problem with reach.
Ha! Your friend is the same height as I, and the part in bold is exactly why I've been thinking about this issue. I've got plenty of speed to make up for the decrease in reach, so that wouldn't be a problem...But, I think I'd probably need to add some weight to the hoop.

movdqa
05-28-2008, 07:50 PM
He uses a Pure Drive which provides plenty of power.

iTennis
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
My two Head Trisys 260 OS's are 1/8" shorter than the std 27". The other one was at 27" but when I removed the butt cap, I found some excessive graphite/ grip pallet foam material flush left in the end of the handle, and after cleaning it up and refitting the cap/ grip, it also became 1/8" short of 27". So I'm convinced that it was designed to be so, even though listed as std (=27"). My measurement is the exact top-to-bottom overall length, from the headguard to the butt cap.

Anyway, I'm 5"7" with longer arms, and used to use Bab PC+ (27.5") too (still miss it somewhat.) But frankly I do not feel much difference in reach using shorter Trisys now. It's not just length but also balance, static weight and swingweight as a combo that matters.

iTennis
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
you beat me to it!

i read that and was like wait, we need to carry that 9 and it would turn into 1ha...

You know we call 4 1/8 = grip 1, 4 2/8 (you would correct it to be 1/4 but) = grip 2, 4 3/8 = grip 3, etc.... So saying 4 9/8 is kinda along the line, really meant to say 'grip 9'. Regardless, it's odd and big for sure.