PDA

View Full Version : Review of Fischer M Pro Number 1 98

NLBwell
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Hit with this racket for a couple days. First with no additional weight:
Groundstrokes - Wild. A lot of power when I hit the sweetspot. Usually went at least 10 feet out. Much more power than I am used to. Also, not being used to the lighter weight, I was probably swinging faster than I should have been. This was just an adjustment period, but the real problem was that there was absolutely no power just a little bit off the sweetspot. It felt like just a half-inch difference away from the sweetspot would cause the ball to bounce in front of the net versus landing way out. Volleys - better, but the same effect of absolutely no power just a little off the sweetspot. Didn't hit serves or serve returns.
Next added 12 grams of lead split along the sides of the head. Much better for me. Probably slowing my swing down with the extra weight, but the most important factor for the racket is that shots hit off-center only have a moderate reduction in pace versus hitting the sweetspot. You would expect this with added weight, but the amount of difference was surprising. First day hitting - Groundstrokes were excellent. I got surprisingly good spin and, with the spin, felt I could control the power well. Got pretty well grooved with the racket, letting the racket do the work. Could control the ball hitting reasonably flat, or hit pretty big topspin. Volleys were excellent. I felt confident with placing the ball where I wanted. Hit some serves at half speed and they felt fine. Serve returns on half-speed serves were good also.
Played a league match with it. Couldn't get the serve going at all. Still felt I was hitting at 1/2 speed, even though I was trying to go full out. Serve returns were consistent. I just couldn't get any kind of groundstroke or passing shot going. Unlike the previous day where the racket felt fine, I just had no confidence at all. Lost the 1st set 7-5, switched back to my usual racket and won the next set 6-3, breaking him twice and not losing my serve.

Overall - Like the MComp, I felt that the MPro#1 was unstable when torqued off center, though much less so. Weight along side of the head cured that, but slowed the racket down too much (probably need to mess with testing different weights). The stringbed was also much more reasonable than the MComp's wide edge, narrow center stringing pattern. It was very comfortable and surprisingly powerful for a flexible racket. Spin is pretty easy to get, and groundstrokes are very controllable with a little spin. Volleys feel good. Serve returns were good. The larger stringbed probably helps with both of these. Serves were disappointing. I serve better with mid rackets and was hoping this mid+ would be good, but it wasn't the case.

Technifibre TFight 335 and Fischer MComp review:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=196090

Yonex RQis 1 Tour review:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=198945

iscottius
05-29-2008, 03:57 AM
what string and tension were you using? the description of your experience with the m pro 1 is very different from mine. The m pro is sensitive to string and tension. also adding 12 grams of weight will usually add power to a racquet.

0d1n
05-29-2008, 04:35 AM
My experience with this racket was very different as well. I found it had quite a forgiving (i.e large) sweet area and the power level was pretty consistent and lowish. I didn't see any variations in the power level as described in this review.
I agree with iscottius that the frame is sensitive to TENSION. I'm not sure about string types ... since it played well for me with full poly to full multi and everything in between (i.e synthetic gut and various hybrids).
What I mean by "tension sensitive" is that one needs to string it @ or bellow 25 kg for best results (and significantly lower when strung with poly).

nickb
05-29-2008, 04:43 AM
I disagree with just about everything you said...the M Speed is low powered, flexible and is good at everything. Oh well...people like different rackets.

dan_the_man
05-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I agree with the last few posts that the racquet is pretty low powered and control oriented. Stringbed is relatively consistent. And the sweet spot is pretty decent - average or larger than most similar spec'ed racquets.

dan_the_man

Djokovicfan4life
05-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Dude, what were you smoking when you tested this frame? :confused:

Serves have always been a huge improvement with this racquet, at least for me. The sweet spot does take a little while to find, but it's about as sweet as they come once you get used to it.

NLBwell
05-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Looks like we have some lack of clarity in my writing as well as some possible disagreements.
First, the racket was strung with Volkl powerfibre, a multi which I don't know much about - I don't know what tension.
As far as power is concerned, I said it was "surprisingly powerful for a flexible racket." This is a players racket with a stiffness of 58 - I am not comparing it to a Pure Drive or any such thing. I'm comparing it to rackets such as the Prince Graphite Mid, Yonex RDX-500, RQis-1, Technifibre TFight 335, etc. I thought it had more power than any of those other rackets, even though it is less stiff than they generally are, so I was surprised.
I did not comment on the size of the sweetspot, but I thought it was reasonably large and comfortable. Past the sweetspot, I thought that power dropped off very quickly. I think the racket would benefit by something like a (real) Perimeter Weighting System.
As I said I just couldn't get my serve going. This is one reason I play with midsize rackets. Based on the early hits I thought I might be able to serve well with this midplus (which would allow me to play with a racket with more margin for error). I was disappointed when I couldn't serve well with it. For someone who can serve well with a midplus, I would think this would be a good serving racket since it does give "surprising power" and good spin.
If I thought it was a bad racket, I wouldn't have risked losing a league match playing with it. I would have seriously thought about buying it if I could serve better with it.

Lendl
11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Those that say this racket is sensitive to the string used what do you recommend? I have only used the racket for a week using a set up as follows:

Wilson Extreme - 16
55 lbs.
Two 4" strips of lead on each side at 3:00 and 9:00

Frame is very comfortable and just feels great in my hands but is VERY low powered and unstable when returning a heavy ball. I play mostly 4.5/5.0 players so they are firing some good pace shots at me and I like a lot about this racket but would like to find a better combination of power/stability with this frame.

Recommendations welcome :D

NLBwell
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't know about string setups, but I needed to add 12 grams of lead to get over the instability. Depending upon what kind of lead tape you have, that's probably more than you have no there now.

pfchang
11-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Those that say this racket is sensitive to the string used what do you recommend? I have only used the racket for a week using a set up as follows:

Wilson Extreme - 16
55 lbs.
Two 4" strips of lead on each side at 3:00 and 9:00

Frame is very comfortable and just feels great in my hands but is VERY low powered and unstable when returning a heavy ball. I play mostly 4.5/5.0 players so they are firing some good pace shots at me and I like a lot about this racket but would like to find a better combination of power/stability with this frame.

dude, thanks a lot for reviving the thread. you totally just stole major thunder from the thread i was about to write! :):)

but as for the instability, i've added ~4 grams @ 12 to match my ideal SW and Weight as well.

Lendl
11-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Sorry the OP linked t this thread and reading through it I just asked some followup questions:)

My lead tape is the 1/4" and I have four total strips on each racket, about 4" long. How does that translate to grams added?

pfchang
11-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry the OP linked t this thread and reading through it I just asked some followup questions:)

My lead tape is the 1/4" and I have four total strips on each racket, about 4" long. How does that translate to grams added?

1/4 gram is = 1"

so you have 16" total, which is about 4 grams, which is 0.14 oz.

Lendl
11-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow, sounds very small for the difference in feel.

1/4 gram is = 1"

so you have 16" total, which is about 4 grams, which is 0.14 oz.

jrod
11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
...Frame is very comfortable and just feels great in my hands but is VERY low powered and unstable when returning a heavy ball. I play mostly 4.5/5.0 players so they are firing some good pace shots at me and I like a lot about this racket but would like to find a better combination of power/stability with this frame.

Couldn't agree more....extremely comfy frame. Power is very low, even with lead added. Spin is exceptional. stability is not a problem as far as I've encountered hitting against 4.5 - 5.0 players. I've used it as my dubs stick for ~2 years. Groundies are a little short compared to what I get with k90 (singles stick). I use VS gut 16g in mains strung at 55 lbs and WC SS (~17g) in crosses strung at 52 lbs.

Lendl
11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I drilled with our travel team tonight and got a ton of work in and hit the Fischer alongside my MG Prestige Mid and just kept going back and forth all night.

The Fischer I used tonight was strung with 17g Wilson K-Gut Pro at 55 lbs. and it added a lot of power and spin relative to the 16g Wilson Extreme string strung at the same tension. The Prestige was strung with 17g NRG2 string which is very solid.

Two real good rackets, so completely opposite :D Really liking the Fischer right now after using these strings tonight. My arm was feeling much better and we were not serving tonight so on the groundstrokes I was able to hit out and really test them out.

blackfrido
08-06-2012, 06:25 PM
as August 2012, are there any still playing with this racquet?
I'm bringing of one mine back to life :)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2w1sg8p.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/97v7ko.jpg

iMpro
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
as August 2012, are there any still playing with this racquet?
I'm bringing of one mine back to life :)

http://i50.tinypic.com/2w1sg8p.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/97v7ko.jpg

I like that gray alot. You should throw some red trim on that to make it even sexier

blackfrido
08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
That grey looks good, but that's only the primer :).
I haven't decided color yet, I'm prone to red or blue (Baghdatis blue)

blackfrido
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
one more coat and will be done :)

http://i45.tinypic.com/ke9pgi.jpg

blackfrido
08-18-2012, 01:39 PM
finally done!! New paint job. New Pacific grommets and new grip.
http://i49.tinypic.com/33e0v3d.jpg

Cesare
08-18-2012, 03:38 PM
that's pure beauty!

blackfrido
08-19-2012, 12:08 PM
that's pure beauty!

thanks Cesare, I did my best to make it look nice :)

Cesare
08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
I love it, very nicely done! just wonder if you string it with the lavender Ashaway Dynamite. that would be a great combo!

http://www.sweatband.com/ashaway-dynamite-18-soft-tennis-string--110m-reel.html

blackfrido
08-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I love it, very nicely done! just wonder if you string it with the lavender Ashaway Dynamite. that would be a great combo!

http://www.sweatband.com/ashaway-dynamite-18-soft-tennis-string--110m-reel.html

Actually I used to play with Dynamite couple of years ago! The bad side was string movement, too much for my taste but excellent strings.

mad dog1
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
finally done!! New paint job. New Pacific grommets and new grip.
http://i49.tinypic.com/33e0v3d.jpg

it looks alot like the baghdatis stick. :shock: is that you Marcos? ;)

had you not broken 4 good sticks at the aussie open earlier this year, you would have to resort to repainting your own sticks now! :twisted:

blackfrido
08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
it looks alot like the baghdatis stick. :shock: is that you Marcos? ;)

had you not broken 4 good sticks at the aussie open earlier this year, you would have to resort to repainting your own sticks now! :twisted:

I broke more than four racquets (not at once), I have an average of two a year :(

Actually painting it was quite easy but I don't think I will do another one now. I have a total of four Fischers M-speeds.

blackfrido
09-14-2012, 07:14 PM
strung and ready to play!
http://i50.tinypic.com/insgme.jpg

blackfrido
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I've been working on the other three

http://i47.tinypic.com/vmsw1f.jpg

0d1n
01-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Nice job and great frame :). My current frames give me a bit more sting though...

blackfrido
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
^ is that Gosen Polylon Polyquest a good string?

Chotobaka
01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Cool cosmetic resurrection of a great frame. Really good work!

blackfrido
01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Cool cosmetic resurrection of a great frame. Really good work!

that's a way to call those frames of mine "a resurrection". I haven't played them in years!
Sanded them down, primer, high gloss white painting, new Pacific grommets, new grips and ready to go again for another couple of years :)
I haven't found after all these years any frame with the feel of the M-Speeds, probably Yonex RDX-500.......just my opinion

Chotobaka
01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
that's a way to call those frames of mine "a resurrection". I haven't played them in years!
Sanded them down, primer, high gloss white painting, new Pacific grommets, new grips and ready to go again for another couple of years :)
I haven't found after all these years any frame with the feel of the M-Speeds, probably Yonex RDX-500.......just my opinion

I agree, the M-Speeds Pro No 1 98'a are in a class of their own. I have several that I bought NOS that are my regular racquets -- SL's, UL's and even one X-UL (just for the collection) -- plus new older, well used ones for insurance. Maybe they will get paint jobs some day. :) The Pro 98 Ceramic Air Carbon is another really special racquet, this is the model right before Fischer began using the Pro No 1 nomenclature. It's great that grommet sets are a non issue with Pacific continuing the line.

McLovin
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM

So, you sanded them down? I've read on here that some people just used a paint stripper. Any advantage to sanding?

I have two M Pro No. 1s, but unfortunately they were extended, then put back to normal, and the grip just isn't right. I've moved on to the Pacific X Force Pros, and they are almost two years old. They are getting beat up, and I might give that blue paint job a try. Any advice?

blackfrido
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM
So, you sanded them down? I've read on here that some people just used a paint stripper. Any advantage to sanding?

I have two M Pro No. 1s, but unfortunately they were extended, then put back to normal, and the grip just isn't right. I've moved on to the Pacific X Force Pros, and they are almost two years old. They are getting beat up, and I might give that blue paint job a try. Any advice?

Honestly I don't know why but I did it that way.....sanded it down + primer + sanded it down again + primer, follow this procedure couple of times until the surface was really smooth. A friend of mine who works painting helmets finalized a nice job in white color.

Regarding to the blue, I did the whole thing on my own. The painting was applied with regular spray for plastics and metals bought in Home Depot

0d1n
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
^ is that Gosen Polylon Polyquest a good string?

Yup, very good for me. I use it as a full job and it's the most "synthetic gut like" feel I've experienced in a poly...but without the drawbacks (no movement...much more durable). It even has nice feel on volleys and drop shots. Pretty stretchy during stringing as well...for a poly...which pretty much confirms its softness/elasticity.

blackfrido
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Yup, very good for me. I use it as a full job and it's the most "synthetic gut like" feel I've experienced in a poly...but without the drawbacks (no movement...much more durable). It even has nice feel on volleys and drop shots. Pretty stretchy during stringing as well...for a poly...which pretty much confirms its softness/elasticity.

thanks a lot for responding on that string!
I am a poly user, today for the first time in many years I strung my racquets with prince synthetic gut with duraflex. I'm getting tired of polys for the reasons listed above by you....lack of touch, fast loss of tension, etc.

0d1n
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
thanks a lot for responding on that string!
I am a poly user, today for the first time in many years I strung my racquets with prince synthetic gut with duraflex. I'm getting tired of polys for the reasons listed above by you....lack of touch, fast loss of tension, etc.

No probs. This one loses a bit of tension straight out of the machine and for the first hit. Then it stabilizes pretty well and is very playable for quite a bit of time.

Double_Bagel
04-23-2013, 03:11 AM
I've discovered one of these Fischer M-Pro Number 1 98's (older ones, NOT the 'no tolerance' model) and am curious to pick it up. It's at a used sports store near my house in a rack with about 300 other racquets. It looks absolutely pristine - like as if it was bought, strung, hit with for 5 minutes and then put back in the bag.

I've never played with a Fischer before, but enjoy hitting hard flat/mild spin shots on a big swing SW grip FH, with a compact 2HBH. Above all I like a racquet that has a predictable string bed and nice feel/control.

How are these racquets to play with?

Slitch
04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
You should try it. Fischer rackets have a peculiar feel. Muted but responsive. Some people love it, others hate it. It's really something you should see for yourself.

tacoben
08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I picked up one of these racquet recently at Goodwill, in near mint condition. Markings indicate that this racquet was made in Austria? It was priced at $6.99, had some kind of poly string and natural gut set up. When checking out I complained to the cashier about a couple of string that were broken, so she sold it to me for $3.00 ;-).

Strung the racquet up right away when I got home, with spiky sharky 17 gauge black, and synthetic gut (Klippermate brand), at 50(mains)/52 cross. Man, what a racquet!!..probably one of the best hitting racquets I've come across. It pairs well with my Wilson K Blade 98 (though the Blade seems a bit stiffer).

Curios however, what ever happened to Fischer? I tried doing some searches and it seems that the company is not in business anymore? Were they bought out and change the name?

Roberto_spin
08-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Fischer has been taken over by Pacific.

The Pacific Xforce Pro is the successor of the Fischer M Pro and as I have understood should play very similar. Do a search on this forum.

I play with a Pacific Xforce pro and like it very much!

ChicagoJack
08-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah, Pacific acquired Fischer in 2009.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/news/2009/07/pacific_acquires_fischer_tenni.html

And this is how I feel about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kS68T6ptA

-Jack

Sweet-Spot
07-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I have to agree with the OP on this one. Sweet spot was plush and often easily overhit the baseline, while off centre shots tended to die into the net, with not much evenly distributable power.

could take a while to get used to it, but there are definitely better sticks out there. Did any of the custom paint jobs finish their masterpieces?