PDA

View Full Version : Importance of a butt cap ?

crazytennis
05-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I have a racquet I want to play with but it doesn't have a butt cap. Since, the racquet shop is in the other side of the city and I don't want to do a trip there, I just thought, I'd put a replacement grip on it and wrap the overgrip 2-3 times on the bottom and then do the whole thing and then string it ? Has anyone tried it ? ANd, what are the other importances of the butt cap ?
Thanks.

baek57
05-29-2008, 01:22 AM
it will change the weight/balance of your racquet

Deuce
05-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Without the butt cap, it'll be fine to just hit around with, but you definitely won't be able to play a set without the butt cap... because you'll have no way of determining who serves first - you can't do the "M or W?" or "P or D?"

pricey_aus
05-29-2008, 04:01 AM
Without the butt cap, it'll be fine to just hit around with, but you definitely won't be able to play a set without the butt cap... because you'll have no way of determining who serves first - you can't do the "M or W?" or "P or D?"
:) that was a good one
but seriously i wouldn try it.
i tried it for about 20 minutes one day and it was shocking.
it changed my whole racquet

Loco4Tennis
08-17-2008, 04:26 AM
just tried playng with a racquet that had a very small butt cap after several layers of overgrip, i did not like it at all, my hand felt like i had not support, maybe i could get use to it, but instead i did something else, will post link to it when i find it
if i were you though, just get one from and old racquet and staple it in

kcmiser
08-17-2008, 07:16 AM
I play hockey in addition to tennis, and the end of a hockey stick needs a knob, similar to the flared end of a racquet. While they do make plastic knobs for hockey sticks, no one uses them. Everyone just wraps hockey tape (more or less the same thing as athletic tape) a bunch of times around the end of the stick. This produces a large, square knob with no taper, which would not be appropriate for tennis. To get custom shapes, you just unroll a section of tape, let the roll dangle, then spin it a number of times, so that the tape now resembles a thick string or a skinny tube. Now wrap that in circles to create thickness wherever you want it.

I've done this on a tennis racquet in a pinch. It ends up looking ugly, but it works adequately well.

Loco4Tennis
08-17-2008, 07:32 AM
here is the thread where i incresed the buttcap size
without it, it felt very similar to what "kcmiser" descrives, my hand felt like it would slip of the back :-)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2623285&posted=1#post2623285

tennisfreak15347
08-17-2008, 08:38 AM
for me, the buttcap has that little bit of extra length that I just feel that I need, or else I'll think my racquet will slip. It's more of a mental thing for me.