PDA

View Full Version : *******The Donnay Pro One Oversize Club*******

dreydey
05-29-2008, 12:25 AM
I just Purchased a couple of Donnay Pro One OS and i love them, and i wanted to see how others that have them feel about this racquet please share your experience if you own one.

OK everyone lets start a Donnay pro one OS club new version or old version if you have one,please list your name , NTRP Rating, Age,How Many You Have,And Which version of the Pro One OS,And what kind of strings you use. in this thread we can talk about our Racquets, reviews, etc... This will be fun..

and thanks TennisWarehouse for bringing this racquet back in time

ericsson
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
I have an old Donnay Pro One Oversize, great stick, it's one of those sticks you actually forget you're hitting with an oversize, thin beam, low power etc.. didn't hit with the TW version though so if anyone here can compare them, would be great. And indeed thanks to TW for bringing these babies back to live!

dreydey
05-29-2008, 12:54 AM
ericsson is your DOnnay Your main stick

ericsson
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
ericsson is your DOnnay Your main stick

It was man but switched to Volkl a few years ago due to the fact that they (English group) brought Donnay back to a low outlet brand, a disgrace!
Anyway, i think i've played nearly every Donnay pro one stick, my last one was the donnay pro one kevlar supermidsize from 1998-99 (rusedski stick)

dreydey
05-29-2008, 01:11 AM
yeah but if you like the way it played who cares about all the politics of the company...are you saying maybe you dont like the quality so much of the racquet or something like that

ericsson
05-29-2008, 01:22 AM
yeah but if you like the way it played who cares about all the politics of the company...are you saying maybe you dont like the quality so much of the racquet or something like that

No absolutely not, the quality (even when it was British) of my pro ones was always excellent, the thing that bothered me was they were very hard to get, called the rep. many times back in 1999, that stick was quite hard to find, and it was hard to stock 'em up so i switched to Volkl.
So how about you, is the P.O OS your main stick now?

classic tennis
05-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Just to throw my two cents in here, you should care about the ethics of the company 100% what they have done to the town of Couvin & former staff & the image of the brand is a total disgrace!
The ethics of a brand should always be a main point in your purchases, unless you are happy buying products made by 12 year olds earning a dollar a day. (if they are lucky).

ericsson
05-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Just to throw my two cents in here, you should care about the ethics of the company 100% what they have done to the town of Couvin & former staff & the image of the brand is a total disgrace!
The ethics of a brand should always be a main point in your purchases, unless you are happy buying products made by 12 year olds earning a dollar a day. (if they are lucky).

Wise words.

dreydey
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
thats true i didnt look at it that way

dreydey
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
but the TW version is a great feeling racquet in my opinion i tried the POG and it was stiff and too heavy although the specs are supposedly the same as the DP1 OS, i love the racquet perfect felx, perfect weight not too light and not too heavy stock, i mean you dont find racquets that feel like the DP1 OS or the POG anymore, the new technology thing is just a gimmick by manufacturers to make more money. this racquet is basic and plays great..... and currently slazenger/dunlop/donnay are one company owned by sports direct international i think was the name, it is a low end brand now which is a shame but the racquet by TW is pretty good

BreakPoint
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
but the TW version is a great feeling racquet in my opinion i tried the POG and it was stiff and too heavy although the specs are supposedly the same as the DP1 OS, ...
Actually, the POG OS has a swingweight spec of 333 while the Donnay PO OS has a SW spec of only 318. That's a huge difference. That's why the Donnay feels so much lighter to you.

ace94
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
add me to this club. Just got mine today.

dreydey
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
so probably the Donnay would be better for the Elbow than the POG would

dreydey
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
why are people voting they dont like their donnay pro one OS tell us the reasons why guys thanks

BreakPoint
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
so probably the Donnay would be better for the Elbow than the POG would
Hard to say as I've never tried the Donnay Pro One OS, only the MP, which does feel very flexy. However, I think the POG OS has been rated one of the best racquets for the elbow currently on the market. And usually for tennis elbow, heavier is better than lighter.

AndrewD
05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Actually, the POG OS has a swingweight spec of 333 while the Donnay PO OS has a SW spec of only 318. That's a huge difference. That's why the Donnay feels so much lighter to you.

Assuming that the Donnay does actually match the TW specs - something I have been unable to verify, despite posting a couple of threads and quite a number of questions.

What I'd really like to know is;

1. Does the Donnay Pro One OS have more flex than the POG OS?
2. If it does, Where does it flex - throat, head, constant flex ?
3. What grip shape does the Donnay have - is it closer to the Prince or the Head grip ?

BreakPoint
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Assuming that the Donnay does actually match the TW specs - something I have been unable to verify, despite posting a couple of threads and quite a number of questions.

What I'd really like to know is;

1. Does the Donnay Pro One OS have more flex than the POG OS?
2. If it does, Where does it flex - throat, head, constant flex ?
3. What grip shape does the Donnay have - is it closer to the Prince or the Head grip ?
I can only answer the last question since I have not played with the Donnay Pro One OS, only the MP.

The grip shape is identical to Dunlop's because they are manufactured by Dunlop (i.e., their outsourced manufacturing partner in China) so they use the Dunlop pallet/handle mold. Even the sticker that indicates the grip size is right off of a Dunlop racquet. Remember that Donnay is owned by the same company that owns Dunlop/Slazenger.

As far as a comparison of the Donnay Pro One MP and the POG MP, I'd say the Donnay has more flex than the POG and the flex if pretty constant throughout the beam, but you can really feel the flex in the throat.

Frankly, I can't see anyone that likes the Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II not like the Donnay Pro One MP. In fact, I just picked up two more myself.

dreydey
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
1. yes it has more flex than the POG, because the POG feels Like a bat its very stiff, very heavy, not the same weight all around the throat feels heavier on the POG than the head, kind of hard to explain, its just not for me...

2. its a overall flex, not in one particular area, if i was to say an area , i would say the throat handle aread.the whole racquet feels the same weight balance wise the throat and the head, its a even balance all around...

3. it has almost a identical grip to the head microgel grips the white ones, it feels the same, looks the same, i dont think its as good quality because other chatrooms say it is not, but i dont see a difference, and i use an overgrip,

dreydey
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
breakpoint you picked up to volkl or two donnays

ericsson
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
breakpoint you picked up to volkl or two donnays

Should be the Donnay's, the T10 II discontinued.

AndrewD
05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Frankly, I can't see anyone that likes the Volkl Tour 10 MP Gen II not like the Donnay Pro One MP. In fact, I just picked up two more myself.

Thanks for that but, unfortunately, I'm only interested in the Donnay Pro One OS, not the MP. My hope is that it, the OS, would flex similar to the old Prince Graphite Comp. I can deal with a Dunlop grip as it is a very neutral shape and not too hard to modify, if I feel the need.

Donnay is owned by the company that owns Dunlop/Slazenger in the UK only - not Dunlop/Slazenger internationally.

dreydey,

Thanks for your input. Personally, I don't find the POGOS overly heavy although I do feel it is bit sluggish at net. As long as the Donnay didn't swing too light it might be okay for me.

With grips, I was actually asking what shape the grip is rather than the type of grip they use but thanks for the info.

dreydey
05-30-2008, 12:57 AM
well the donnay swings light it says on tw that its 12.1oz i think its about 11.9 oz, if you like head heavy racquets then i would seuggest adding lead tape to the donnay at 3 and 9 to make it feel like the weight of the POG and the flex of the donnay, and the donnay is not sluggish at all it honestly feels great a very comfertable racquet, it doesnt feel hollow like the modern new racquets of today, its solid thin beam, the grommets i can tell will wear out after a couple of stringjobs, its not as sluggish as the POG, i like the POG also and i can handle the weight, but its not the weight i like, too stiff

dreydey
05-30-2008, 12:59 AM
i would say the POG is for a certain player, i feel the headlight of the DOnnay gives you alot more control,its a well controlled racquet, heavy but not stiff,flexy all throughout the frame,i like the grip i dont really like leather..

AndrewD
05-30-2008, 01:27 AM
That's another question I'd like answered. It seems that every other poster who has bought the Donnay Pro One OS has commented on the very poor quality of the grommets. Given that the racquet would have a 12 month warranty and TW would be the ones responsible for meeting any claims, have they said what they are going to do about faulty grommets?

dreydey
05-30-2008, 02:02 AM
contact TW ask them see if they resolved the grommet problem, im not sure and keep us posted, i hate putting new grommets on a racquet...

auzzieizm
05-30-2008, 02:16 AM
I have a new TW Donnay Pro One Oversize arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to compare it side to side with my yellow/blue 1990 Donnay Pro One Oversize.
I have been going crazy demoing lately, just decided to hit with my old Donnay Pro One Os and fell back in love with it. The control, spin, soft feel, huge sweetspot... it is almost like you don't have to try to hit it in. That quality i built into the racquet. This is the most consistent frame I have ever hit with. I hope the new version gives me the same hitting experience.

AndrewD
05-30-2008, 04:29 AM
contact TW ask them see if they resolved the grommet problem, im not sure and keep us posted, i hate putting new grommets on a racquet...

Actually, I had expected all of the people who had bought the Pro One OS and complained about the grommets to have resolved the issue with TW and posted their findings.

dreydey
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
contact TW and ask them i am curios to know, becuase i am gonna buy a couple more

AndrewD
05-30-2008, 02:39 PM
contact TW and ask them i am curios to know, becuase i am gonna buy a couple more

Why don't you contact TW?

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Anyone willing to trade your Pro One oversize for a Mid+ Pro One? See my post in For sale or trade. :)

dreydey
05-30-2008, 06:26 PM
why do u want to trade serpentacle, do you not like the mid

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 06:28 PM
why do u want to trade serpentacle, do you not like the mid

If I were a better player I would kill with it, but I am too unskilled to wield it. I do want to trade.

dreydey
05-30-2008, 06:31 PM
what level player are you and how old

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 06:37 PM
what level player are you and how old

I am 31. When I was 17 I was 4.0 & played no.3 on my high school team. I quit my senior year, where I was the presumed no.1 on the team.

Left the game, and picked it back up last Summer. I am probably only a 3.0 for now... It's sad and I'm frustrated, b/c I used to be so much better. I am stronger now, of course, but slower. And I don't get to hit as often as I want.

Now that I'm stronger I am changing my once 2 handed forehand into a one handed one. It's a rough conversion and am still trying to hone my timing. I'm like a blind creature on the floor of the sea.

dreydey
05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
how come there are more votes saying no to the donnay what is the reason you dont love your donnay guys let us know, and we need more members in the club come on everyone....

Viper
01-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Bought my Donnay yesterday. I'm excited : )

NoNameZ
01-17-2009, 05:21 PM
^^^ hope ur enjoying it!
i went to the DP1 OS from the FXP Radical OS, and i liked it a lot more. Returns were so much easier, serves were much faster for me. overall, i think the fact that its pure graphite gives it the extra edge.

Serpententacle
03-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Add me to this list. I just ordered one from TW last night. I look forward to using it. I also own a Pro One International, but I think the OS will be better suited to my game as it is currently. I must admit—TW sold me on this with its stellar reviews... but part of me wonders if they were talking this one up because they invested so much in it. I trust TW, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mine will be strung with Babolat Addiction 16 @ 60lbs. I can't wait to see how it plays.

I have some pretty flat groundstrokes, but I have a nasty little two handed backhand slice... I hope the Donnay will be "the one" that will do both these weapons some justice.

oxxxx4
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello Serpententacle,

By now, I guess you did give it a try. Was it your verdict doctor?

Ox

Serpententacle
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello Serpententacle,

By now, I guess you did give it a try. Was it your verdict doctor?

Ox

Hi... here's my verdict... so far. I will hit more with it tomorrow... and it will be tennis bliss.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=253437