PDA

View Full Version : How to take out racquet grommets?

deme08
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
How to take out grommets without breaking them. Grommets are quite new only strung twice but I'm gonna paint the racquet so need to take them out and put back in later. Do I need special tools? How should I do this?

Ben42
05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Taking them out is pretty easy.

I find an awl very helpful for putting in the new ones. Some people talk about using a heat gun to soften them up to put in, but I've never found it necessary.

deme08
05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
^^ does the heat gun makes grommets easier to remove?

MAX PLY
05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Typically gromment strips are pretty easy to remove and there is no need to heat. Where you may have trouble is putting the strip you removed back in to the frame--you will encounter some grommets that may have flared due to the finishing knots or the angle of pull. Depending on the racquet, even new grommet strips can prove difficult (and thus heating them makes them more plyable and easier to install). With what racquet are you having difficulty?

Bottle Rocket
05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
How to take out grommets without breaking them. Grommets are quite new only strung twice but I'm gonna paint the racquet so need to take them out and put back in later. Do I need special tools? How should I do this?

I would not plan on putting back in old grommets.

deme08
05-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I would not plan on putting back in old grommets.

why not? they are used (strung twice) but not that old.

deme08
05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Typically gromment strips are pretty easy to remove and there is no need to heat. Where you may have trouble is putting the strip you removed back in to the frame--you will encounter some grommets that may have flared due to the finishing knots or the angle of pull. Depending on the racquet, even new grommet strips can prove difficult (and thus heating them makes them more plyable and easier to install). With what racquet are you having difficulty?

Yonex RDX500mp they seem hard to pull out and I don't want to break anything. The grommets in there now was a new set I put in two month ago not the original set that came with the frame, so they still fresh. Reuseable?

Deuce
05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Even if the grommets are only a couple of months old, as soon as the racquet is strung with those grommets, the grommets 'de-form' to a point. And so... you will have as much difficulty in re-installing any already used grommets as you will have in trying to fit a fat finger into a small nostril.

I hope you understand the logistics now.

anirut
05-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, well, guys, don't discourage him ...

Don't ask me how. I don't know. There's no formula. Just treat the problems as they come.

OK, just take it easy and use a lot of your grey matter and you'll get it done. This is most important formula.

TheShaun
05-30-2008, 06:06 AM
when in doubt, give it some love with a big hammer! :)

MAX PLY
05-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Yonex RDX500mp they seem hard to pull out and I don't want to break anything. The grommets in there now was a new set I put in two month ago not the original set that came with the frame, so they still fresh. Reuseable?

I am not sure why they would be harder to pull out than the last time you replaced them. I suspect the reason is that some of them have already flared and that's why I also suspect you may have problems in re-installing that set. As some of the other posters have stated, the issue isn't so much the number of times you have restrung; it is more an issue of once a gromment has been flared or otherwise distorted, it will just be really difficult to get a used set back into a racquet. If you try to force it too much (say with an awl or something) you risk chipping the paint or the actual hole. My best advice would be to replace it with a new strip after you finish. Good luck.

Bud
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
^^ does the heat gun makes grommets easier to remove?

Not in my experience. Use an awl and push them back through to remove them. Do not pull them... if some are flared or seated well, it will rip the grommet from the strip.

Bud
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Reusing grommets can work. You try it on a case by case basis... most of the time is works fine... sometimes, not so fine. That's when you just buy a new set.

Deuce
05-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Reusing grommets can work. You try it on a case by case basis... most of the time is works fine... sometimes, not so fine. That's when you just buy a new set.
No... most of the time, trying to re-install a used grommet strip is quite difficult - as several posters have already pointed out in this thread.

If one is careful, it wouldn't hurt to try, though.
Just don't expect it to be anywhere near as easy as it is to install a new grommet strip (and even new ones aren't always easy to install).

jck01
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
To make life easier, I would buy new grommets. I had trouble re-installing old grommets myself. An awl is helpful when you are installing new grommets since the grommet doesn't alway want to go into the hole the way it should. The trouble with installing older grommet is that the older grommet sometimes flare out because of string-tying when you install strings. It's been impossible for me to reinsert the flared out grommet back into the hole. Perhaps, you'll have better luck.

Mansewerz
05-31-2008, 03:17 PM
why not? they are used (strung twice) but not that old.

Don't reinstall old grommets!

Here's some help though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4bH7T9sds&fmt=18