PDA

View Full Version : pro staff st. vincent? KUQ

hyogen
05-29-2008, 09:01 PM
just got a mid pro staff. in 6.5 or 7 condition. has yellow and orange stripe. will post pics later. thanks

LanEvo
05-29-2008, 09:12 PM
should be an sv since the last digit is a Q

Bud
05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
just got a mid pro staff. in 6.5 or 7 condition. has yellow and orange stripe. will post pics later. thanks

It will automatically make you play 2 levels higher :lol:

hyogen
05-30-2008, 01:10 AM
should be an sv since the last digit is a Q

wow i see. how much does one go for--conservatively speaking. for a 7 condition or so... what could i get for it? :o

Bud
05-30-2008, 01:30 AM
wow i see. how much does one go for--conservatively speaking. for a 7 condition or so... what could i get for it? :o

Normally or currently? :shock:

Prices are high but coming down because the 6.0 was discontinued. a 7/10 SV with no case... normally about 120 bucks (can be much higher if you get into a bidding war).

hyogen
05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
wow, in that case I'm gonna go buy the other two...the guy obviously doesn't know what he has. He's probably laughing his way to the bank (correct usage here?) with his $40 each :D

Azzurri
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Normally or currently? :shock:

Prices are high but coming down because the 6.0 was discontinued. a 7/10 SV with no case... normally about 120 bucks (can be much higher if you get into a bidding war).

Isn't it strange...now that the 6.0 is discontinued, the prices are almost as much (or even higher sometimes) than the SV. It amazes me how people spent over $300 for a used China PS 85. The racquet itself is flooded with them. The laws of supply/demand no longer exist..just like oil.

hyogen
05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
so no one refuting that this is indeed a St. Vincent?

sweet :D

I tried serving with it and served pretty much as well as I can ever (at least first serve). the strings are stiff and really crappy. like a thick stamina.

VGP
05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
If the buttcap code is indeed KUQ then people won't argue too much.

Pics would really help.

Your other post implies that you bought it from a seller that has more of them.......

hyogen
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
indeed.. he says he has 2 more -_-

i'll try to take a pic..it's somewhat hard to see but clearly KUQ.

Bud
05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
indeed.. he says he has 2 more -_-

i'll try to take a pic..it's somewhat hard to see but clearly KUQ.

Please email me the contact info of said seller so I may verify the information... and tell you definitively whether you have SV's :lol:

hyogen
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
hehehe. I would, but his voice mailbox is full. couldn't put you through all that trouble -_-

Bud
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
hehehe. I would, but his voice mailbox is full. couldn't put you through all that trouble -_-

No problem... an email address will be fine :twisted:

VGP
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Ha! Looks like someone's trying to score another $40 SV......

hyogen
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I uploaded pics here: http://oregonstate.edu/~lamontm/stvincent/

sorry for the size. My cameras not the best so you can't really see the KUQ clearly. You can make it out though. also, I didn't clean the racquet/wipe it down at all. So it's pretty dusty.

I'll be taking offers soon I think or putting it on the big auction site... -_-

Bubba
05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
It's def. a SV. Throat grommets are a good give away, plus the stickers inside throat, plus red primer. Great $40 spend... though it's in pretty poor shape... I'd rate a 5, at most a 6. Still, should play fine, just may not fetch a very high price on Mr. E's Bay.

Bud
05-30-2008, 07:34 PM
It's def. a SV. Throat grommets are a good give away, plus the stickers inside throat, plus red primer. Great $40 spend... though it's in pretty poor shape... I'd rate a 5, at most a 6. Still, should play fine, just may not fetch a very high price on Mr. E's Bay.

If it's not a 9 or higher (virtually flawless)... it wont go for much over $175.00

I'd buy them just to hit with them, though. $40 is a deal for any original PS (CH, SV, TW or China)... assuming it's not cracked or otherwise compromised.

Bud
05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I uploaded pics here: http://oregonstate.edu/~lamontm/stvincent/

sorry for the size. My cameras not the best so you can't really see the KUQ clearly. You can make it out though. also, I didn't clean the racquet/wipe it down at all. So it's pretty dusty.

I'll be taking offers soon I think or putting it on the big auction site... -_-

I just looked at it...

If I were you, I'd keep it for the joy of hitting. It won't fetch too much on fleabay, normally... but, if you're going to auction it... I'd do it soon... the hype of the discontinued 6.0 is dying quickly.

Why don't you give some free string to the person who comes closest to guessing the winning bid... :) (must submit guess during the 1st day listed)

It's in perfect shape for using on court without worrying about accidentally scraping it, dropping it, etc.

hyogen
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I doubt it would good for my injured wrist... what should I string it with...natural gut? mid 40s tension? from what I read the SV is more harsh and stiff than the non sv ones. if I can get 3 then ill sell 2.

Bud
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I doubt it would good for my injured wrist... what should I string it with...natural gut? mid 40s tension? from what I read the SV is more harsh and stiff than the non sv ones. if I can get 3 then ill sell 2.

Just the opposite. String it with a gut or multi at 50#.

hyogen
05-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Just the opposite. String it with a gut or multi at 50#.

u sure? the SV's are more soft and comfortable? u sure?

here is what i've found on the internet: interview with Sampras' stringer: http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/Features/9908NateFerguson.html
nice article by the way:
here is just an exerpt.
The differences, although perhaps imperceptible to the average club player, are in the "feel" the racquet gives him. The St. Vincent made Pro Staff is the stiffest and what I call "harshest". Other versions of the racquet are more comfortable and softer. Any difference in power level is not significant. What Pete likes is the level of control that he gets because the racquet responds predictably. He doesn't have any doubt in the back of his mind, that is created when a player switches racquets. He has never said, "That shot would have been in with my old racquet." The most important thing that the Wilson Pro Staff 85 gives Pete is control. I custom "build" his racquet to take as much of the power out of the racquet as possible. It is a stiff racquet, has a very small head size, weighs nearly 400 grams/14 ounces and is strung with gut at around 75 lbs. He adds the power. I make the paddle, Pete

hrstrat57
05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
u sure? the SV's are more soft and comfortable? u sure?

here is what i've found on the internet: interview with Sampras' stringer: http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/Features/9908NateFerguson.html
nice article by the way:
here is just an exerpt.
The differences, although perhaps imperceptible to the average club player, are in the "feel" the racquet gives him. The St. Vincent made Pro Staff is the stiffest and what I call "harshest". Other versions of the racquet are more comfortable and softer. Any difference in power level is not significant. What Pete likes is the level of control that he gets because the racquet responds predictably. He doesn't have any doubt in the back of his mind, that is created when a player switches racquets. He has never said, "That shot would have been in with my old racquet." The most important thing that the Wilson Pro Staff 85 gives Pete is control. I custom "build" his racquet to take as much of the power out of the racquet as possible. It is a stiff racquet, has a very small head size, weighs nearly 400 grams/14 ounces and is strung with gut at around 75 lbs. He adds the power. I make the paddle, Pete

Good stuff here.....and right on....I have hit all versions of the sv except taiwan and the sv is the least forgiving/ harshest...

I will make an attempt to further elaborate my feelings/experience on the ps 85 sv. This will be esoteric so my remarks come with a warning. I have made this same or similar comment on the forums before too so redundancy warning applies as well.

Hitting the sweet spot (small) on a ps 85 sv is unlike any other sensation in tennis. The feedback the racquet provides will tell you when you have not found the sweetspot. Harsh, clank...lack of pace and depth, just a lousy feeling knowing clearly you have not hit a clean shot.

However, when you find the sweetspot with solid technique and a fast swing you feel.....nothing. Absolutely nothing, the racquet is an extension of your arm...it is part of you.

As I have said before, if you haven't experienced it, you think what I say is nonsense.

If you have....well lucky you...and me.

I recommend for setup about 3 inches of lead tape at 3/9 and strung with 16 ga natural gut at about 55-57 lbs. vs, if you can afford it.

That said, I have 17 ga nxt on both my ps 85 sv and my black cap ps 85 china.....the frame plays nicely with any quality string IMHO. The China is defin "softer" and more forgiving(tho still demanding) and is a quality stick...but the sv shines.

Thus I huge agree with Bud. Keep it, string it up with a quality job, add a little lead as I describe and have at it.....you'll savor the experience if you can produce a fast swing with good technique.....