PDA

View Full Version : Racket Advice

Sabenza
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I have just re-picked up tennis after a break of 12 years since university. Back in the old days, I was a ground stroke player with heavy dipping top-spin off both forehand and double backhand, and with long back swing. My first serve was a flat serve and second serve was a high kicking serve. My volley was terrible and I tend to stay at the baseline. I was playing Price Graphite Oversize and have seven of these rackets strung with Price Top Spin 15L at 70lb. I am a synthetic guy and don"t like gut at all.

Anyway, after two weeks of playing, I am beginning to pick up my forehand and backhand, but as I am now 38 years old, I am much weaker than I was, and find the Price Graphite Oversize too heavy. I also intend to work hard on improving my volleying, and my wrist simply cannot withstand the heavy Price Graphite Oversize.

I notice a lot of new technologies on rackets and have seen people playing with O3 Speedport White, Babolat Aeropro, Pure Drive, etc. with "poly" strings (what are they?). Are they more like gut or synthetic?

I need some help to choose a new racket because there is no shops in Hong Kong I know of which provide demo rackets, although the shops I visited recommended a variety of rackets.

With my playing style (heavy top-spin forehand and backhand), can someone recommend me a racket and strings, on which I can also improve my volleying, while being friendly to the elbow and wrist?

Many thanks.

dreydey
05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
try donnay pro one OS

baek57
05-30-2008, 12:07 AM
stay away from poly if you want something friendly for your elbow.

Iced_jacob
05-30-2008, 12:09 AM
T fight 320!!
It swings very easy and has enough mass to be very stable

Sabenza
05-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, but yesterday, I have wandered through four or five tennis shops in Hong Kong and I don't see they stock Donnay or T Fight. Forgive me for asking, is T Fight a brand or a model name?

Do you think the Aeropro, Pure Drive or the Price O3 Speedsport White will suit my playing style?

jayserinos99
05-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Tecnifibre makes the TFight320.

You mention that the weight of the Graphite OS is heavy and that you're also stringing at 70 lbs with 15L Topspin? I would try to change one thing at a time and change the strings or tension. The problem with what you're asking for is that you are changing racquet+string+tension which is tough to do because you don't exactly know what you like in the new setup.

However, if you are intent on changing racquet+strings+tension, the Pure Drive Cortex along with a nice soft multifilament string (or better yet natural gut) would fit the bill as a powerful spin friendly frame that's light enough to swing fast and still retain comfort. The Speedport O3 White is also a good frame too and the Speedport O3 Black is a tad more powerful than the White and requires a good bit of spin to keep the ball in the court as I've heard. Just as a precaution, these current racquets are midpluses, not oversize like your current frame so there may be some adjustment period to a slightly smaller headsize.

urbo73
05-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Read this thread until the last page, especially post #251. You seem similar to me.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=160692&page=13

GMN
05-30-2008, 06:12 AM
I think the babolat frames offer a nice compromise. Most of them are about 11oz strung (pure drive and aero pro drive) and offer excellent control, power, and spin.

I am in my mid-thirties and find that I can hit the ball deeper with less effort. It may be what you are looking for.

Sabenza
05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice. Manage to find someone in the club with an APDC and borrowed it for the weekend. I can't tell whether it is a plus. Will try out if the weather permits tomorrow.