PDA

View Full Version : Help:Maxply Mcenroe VS Mfil 200 97" VS V9 Engine

Thor
05-30-2008, 02:35 AM
H guys

After SMASHING my fxp Rad tour ala Safin(i can upload some pics) im looking for a new cheap racquet.
Anyone played with any of these?
Im a 4.0 all court

Thanks for the input

0d1n
05-30-2008, 03:24 AM
I've only played with the McEnroe, and in my opinion it's a better version of the Pure Drive :).
What I mean by that is that it's powerful, it has a solid swing weight, yet maneuverable because of the slightly lower mass...it's stiff (all features of the pure drive), and yet has some pretty good feel/touch, and volleys much better IMO.
It's stiffness can get to you if you have a sensitive arm.
Didn't play the other rackets you listed ... so I can't help there.
Good luck in your search

Thor
05-30-2008, 05:48 AM
I've only played with the McEnroe, and in my opinion it's a better version of the Pure Drive :).
What I mean by that is that it's powerful, it has a solid swing weight, yet maneuverable because of the slightly lower mass...it's stiff (all features of the pure drive), and yet has some pretty good feel/touch, and volleys much better IMO.
It's stiffness can get to you if you have a sensitive arm.
Didn't play the other rackets you listed ... so I can't help there.
Good luck in your search

Thanks,so how long did you play with it?
What didnt you like about it?

0d1n
05-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks,so how long did you play with it?
What didnt you like about it?

It was never my main racket...I just played with it for fun and giggles (still own it).
What I didn't like was the stiffness, all my main rackets are fairly flexible (63 and bellow RA), and I felt I had to alter my swings too much to add topspin if I were to play with it seriously using my usual more elastic strings (multi).
Not much to dislike about it's performance really ... I can still appreciate a good racket when I try one even if it's not "my cup of tea".

Rabbit
05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Of the 3 you list, I'd opt for the McEnroe as well. I've hit with all. The Volkl V9, especially the 18X20 string pattern, was totally out of the Volkl character and pretty stiff. Between the 200G and the McEnroe, the McEnroe was by far the easier to play with.

Thor
05-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Of the 3 you list, I'd opt for the McEnroe as well. I've hit with all. The Volkl V9, especially the 18X20 string pattern, was totally out of the Volkl character and pretty stiff. Between the 200G and the McEnroe, the McEnroe was by far the easier to play with.

Hi rabbit,since you play a similar spec racquet to my previous one(C10 and FXP RAD tour differ only in stiffness) could you be more specific about pros and cons?How would you string the racquet?
How would you guys string the racquet?

Thanks

Rabbit
05-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Sure. I'd string the McEnroe with either a mutli or gut. I say this because it plays firmer certainly than the C10 but doesn't have a harsh feel like the V9 did. It doesn't play as soft as the 200, but to me had better feel around the court and a better power level for me. With regard to tension, I'd start in the middle and work my way up/down +/1 3 pounds until I found the right tension.

You might also want to try the 300. It's my favorite of the Dunlop line, at least what I've hit with.

Anton
05-31-2008, 07:26 AM
H guys

After SMASHING my fxp Rad tour ala Safin(i can upload some pics) im looking for a new cheap racquet.
Anyone played with any of these?
Im a 4.0 all court

Thanks for the input

V9 Engine is a great frame - awesome pace, control and spin, serves bombs. EASILY the best frame out of the ones you mentioned...maybe lacking a little on touch and slice - but hey northing's perfect.

DO NOT get mcEnroe - that frame is most awkward frame I've ever hit with.

Mfill 200 is not bad, but feels hollow and lacks control.

Thor
05-31-2008, 09:09 AM
V9 Engine is a great frame - awesome pace, control and spin, serves bombs. EASILY the best frame out of the ones you mentioned...maybe lacking a little on touch and slice - but hey northing's perfect.

DO NOT get mcEnroe - that frame is most awkward frame I've ever hit with.

Mfill 200 is not bad, but feels hollow and lacks control.

Which V9 did you use?

What did you find awkward in the Mcenroe?
Thanks!

Anton
05-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Which V9 did you use?

What did you find awkward in the Mcenroe?
Thanks!

The 18x20 version.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-T9V.html

McEnroe had a disastrous weight distribution about it - it wasn't heavy but swinging it felt like something was just keeping the racket from getting accelerated :confused:. It also felt cheap and hollow on impact like a lot of dunlops do.

netman
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Maxply McEnroe is a wonderful S&V racquet. Problem is in the material layup. For some reason it is very hard on the elbow and shoulder, even though the specs would indicate otherwise. I've been playing tennis for over 35 years with no TE problems. But the McEnroe gave me some serious shoulder and elbow issues, even after I strung it with gut. Had to hang it up, which broke my heart because I loved the combo of power and control it provided. I've moved on to racquets that are just as stiff, but none of them have given me any shoulder or elbow issues. My guess is the way Dunlop built up the weave created a vibration or frequency issue.

-k-

mdjenders
06-01-2008, 07:00 PM
volkl 9 v-engine felt very strange to me, very stiff and muted with no touch, and a bit lacking in stability. spin was great, but I didnt feel like the shots were very heavy. if you are used to a very flexy frame with beefy weight like the fxp rad tour, you might be disappointed.

Enlightened Coelacanth
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I have to disagree about the Maxply McEnroe. I haven't found it to be all that stiff. Use a flexible string at a correct poundage (about 58 lbs.) and it plays tremendously.
I use some lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock
to add some stability, but then I do that for almost all racquets. It's a very good racquet.
Especially when you consider the price.

Anton
06-02-2008, 04:43 AM
volkl 9 v-engine felt very strange to me, very stiff and muted with no touch, and a bit lacking in stability. spin was great, but I didnt feel like the shots were very heavy. if you are used to a very flexy frame with beefy weight like the fxp rad tour, you might be disappointed.

11.4 oz racket is just not going to be as stable as a 12+oz racket with simular weight distribution - easy fix though - just add lead.