PDA

View Full Version : TW Customization for my racquet

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I did the TW customization tool, and I am told to add 0.9 gram 1/2 inch up from the handle (then 11.1 grams at 11 & 1 o'clock or 28.4 inch spot). That 0.9 gram is virtually nothing. Would it be okay if I just tape a penny under the grip? Should that do the trick? It just seems a pain in the arse to try to guess how little lead tape that would take.

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 08:08 AM
I just read a penny weighs 2 grams! Damn. Perhaps a paper clip? Needs some suggestions or help here. Any ideas to put that 0.9 gram under my grip without using lead tape?

MAX PLY
05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
No matter what, if you do not use a scale, you will be guessing. But, if you are going to guess, using 1/2 inch wide lead tape from Gamma or Unique Sports, then one inch equals 1/2 gram--so, a little less than 2 inches should just about do it for you--you might want to cut the tape in half and apply a (how halved) strip on each side of the grip pallet. Note, if you use Babolat lead tape, it is twice as heavy so one inch = one gram. I suggest using the lead tape rather than pennies, paper clips, etc., because once you put the tape on you can forget it (I suspect the other methods would prove to be pain every time you regripped). You may also want to place some clear tape over the lead tape so that when you pull off an old grip you won't pull off the lead.

TW Professor
05-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Sometimes the Customizer comes up with very small amounts of mass. They are very easy to apply in the head so why not? But it might seem a pain under the grip. In the case of 1 gram at the butt end of the handle, it will add less than a unit of swingweight and bring down the balance by about .1 cm (10 mm)--probably nothing you would perceive.

But the effect of 1 gram all depends on where it is added. One gram at the tip of the racquet can add 3-4 units of swingweight on a 27-inch racquet. It all depends on how particular you are.

Serpententacle
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
^^Thanks. I suppose that should do, Max Ply. & thank you Professor for the info. What I'll do is perhaps try it without the tape under the grip, and see if I like it with tape just at 11 & 1.