PDA

View Full Version : Putting frame weight in perspective

netman
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
We have a lot of debates here on what constitutes a heavy versus light racquet. Many opinions have been voiced that racquets which weigh more than 12 oz are just too heavy for most folks to use (other than accomplished players). Well here is an interesting fact to throw into the debate - I just weighed a Jack Kramer Autograph JUNIOR wood racquet I found. It is 25 inches long and has a really small grip so it could be used by very young players.

Want to guess the strung weight? 10 oz? 11oz? 12 oz? Try 355 grams (12.5 oz). Sort of makes most of us modern players look a bit wimpy. I guess the munchkin phenoms back then leaded it up to 14 oz. :)

-k-

bluetrain4
05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
It's true. Women and children once regularly used 12.5 oz+, even 14 oz. wooden frames.

But, the game was slower. Try swinging one of those wood frames consistently today with the amount of spin and pace that even average players can generate with modern racquets and string.

Your theory of today's players being "wimps" might be accurate if yesterday's players were facing the same ball as today's players, but they weren't.

Some players can still swing very heavy, fairly small headed frames and play great. But, as you stated, those players are in the minority.

I take it you're using a bulky wood frame, right?

netman
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I take it you're using a bulky wood frame, right?

Only for fun. I have several Kramers, Head Vilas' and Maxply Forts I break out for fun. I learned on wood and used it for many years. Its fun to re-experience the unique characteristics of wood. The Vilas can actually hang in there against more modern frames probably due to the graphite inserts.

My competition frame is the Yonex RDS 001 MP weighed up slightly to 12.1 oz. It plays like a heavier frame but is easier to get moving.

-k-