PDA

View Full Version : mic prestige pro vs aerogel 200 18/20 round 1

markwillplay
05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
This is a continuation of another thread but I thought that some of you might be interested in a comparison of these 2 sticks. Don't worry about how I arrived at these 2 just know that I am going to pick one of them. I am 4.0 serve and volleyer coming from oversize sticks (Donnay latest) and wanting to get down a bit in head size. Played tons of different ones breifly and here I am.

dun#1 gosen syn gut at 57 lbs
dun #2 nrg2 60 lbs
head head syn gut 16 unknown tension but very low by the tap method

ground stokes: I really enjoyed hitting the 200's. I used to play with a max 200g and while these don't feel anything like them, I do get that some feeling of the ball traveling deeper in the court but remaining in with control. I hit simi western to western and had no trouble with spin. Yes the ball is not as loopy but even theough it may be going slower, it stil penetrates the court well. I had forgotten what a tight string pattern could do for control...and, I can tell you that the syn gut felt much better to me than the nrg2 which was suprising. Maybe it was the tension but my guess is that the tensions are not that far off. There was just more control with the syn gut. I like one hand backhands with these and I think the higher swingweight actually helped me maintain control...did I say control...I have also forgotten how a smaller head with some weight in it helps keep the stick from twisting. I did notice that I really had to take a good swipe at the ball to get much pace but I was not playing someone who could really push me in the pace department so it will be interesting to see what happens when I do.

The head had a few more suprises for me as far as the ball jumping but with the different grip and swingweight, that was more me than the stick. Definately more spin with the head and I know I could probably play harder longer with it becasue of lower swingweight. Still, I am betting that I would make fewer unforced errors with the 200 but also hit fewer winners from the back. The head felt sofer as well, more "cushiony" which does not necessarily mean more "solid". So different. I actually like both for different feels.

Volleys..so far, I like the 200 better s it is just so stable and no suprises..however, this probably has a ton to do with string and tension. The head is definately more manueverable and will allow quicker stabs. I really don't have much of an opinion here today but will know more after tomorrow's match. Overheads are easier with the head which is important but that has to do with swingspeed I think. I like volleying with both but if I can handle the weight of the 200, I like the 18/20 for direction and control.

Serves....well, this is where they really differ. I FEEL like I can hit harder with the 200 (especially flat) but not as much movement. It is harder for me to get spin and the swingweight worries me a little. Sort of like a major league pitcher throwing fastballs that don't move..they get hit. I definately have more variety with the head and can spin it much easier. I think this may end up being a deciding factor as it is such an important part of my game. I just want to hit flatter with the 200 but it feels like my margin of error is smaller as well because I am working really hard to get good slice when I need it out wide. I can serve with the head with my eyes closed because of spin.

so for now the 200 word is SOLID. I like it. The word for the head is spin and manueverablity. I like it. We'll see how I do against some strong apponants.

I would love string suggestions by the way but I really like both sticks on the lower side.

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 10:52 AM
on to round 2...not athat anyone is watching but this is good for me to write down what happened so I can go back and justify my purchases:)

Played a pretty good 3.5 player today on clay and results were a bit telling. I started off with the dunlop and was playing pretty well. Serves were the same and flatter but I was getting more spin on 2nd serves as I am learning the stick more. Anyway, late in the first set he served a game that was very, very, long. It was really humid here and even though I am in probably the best relative shape of my life (relative to age..I am 38), I was getting tired. I was not even serving (ha ha) but I could really feel myself pressing to hit through the ball and could really feel the swingweight. After that game, I walked over and grabbled the head...I did not look back. Just easier to serve with tired and easier to swing tired. Still got a few suprises and launched a few volleys and ground strokes but I could definately swing harder longer on my serves and that helped me through the match. You do have to hit with more spin but that is how i hit anyway. If nt for the grip shape, I think my decision would already have been made....althouth, I sort of like the grip shape for serves...it just locks you in on volleys...which actually did not harm me too much today.

Round 2 goes to the head. Maybve I need to admit that I like a little lower swingweight....although I do like the 18/20 pattern for control..no doubt.

Matty G
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
If you want the best of both worlds y dont you try the prestige (not the pro)??

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 11:19 AM
isn't that one the mid? And isn't that even heavier? If I wanted a stick that had a 330 swingweight, I think the aerogel 200 would be pretty hard to beat. Thanks for the suggestion.

sargeinaz
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
isn't that one the mid? And isn't that even heavier? If I wanted a stick that had a 330 swingweight, I think the aerogel 200 would be pretty hard to beat. Thanks for the suggestion.

Head has a Prestige MidPlus that has an 18x20 pattern. Maybe you should check it out.
________
SYNTHETIC WEED (http://syntheticweed.org)

PED
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
The weight of the midplus is around 11.8 strung up so it should not be too heavy. It's got some nice pop as well. You really will get used to the grip shape in no time at all. I used to play with the radical and got to really like the grip.

NLBwell
05-31-2008, 04:07 PM
I appreciate you posting the review.

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
you know the thing is that I really do love the way the dunlop feels so solid when it strikes the ball. I guess that is the tight pattern. My max 200G feels a lot like that and I think that is why I like it so much. I really wonder if the seingweight was a touch less if I would get more spin on serves with it becasue when I really try, I can get good spin with it on serves but it is a huge effort if you know what I mean. The more natural thing with the dunlop is to hit a flatter serve. When I hit the ball with the same stroke (ground strokes) with the head, it will definately go long...so I have to put a little more spin on groundies (with this loos tension anyway) but when I do that, it really does bring it down. My serves FEEL heavier with the dunlop but I am not sure they are. They feel heavier because the stick swings heavier and it smacks the ball flatter. I wish I could return against myself (ha ha). Still, it was very humid today and I went to the lower swingweight pretty quick becasue it was an official match and I did not want to lose for the sake of the racquet.

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
and one more thing this has done for me is show me that I am better off not playing oversize. I really do think that my overall game is better just by going down a bit if for serve direction only.

reesespiecestennis
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM
hey mark I have to say with my aerogel it does feel quite tiring when I play longer but when i'm in great shape I nail the heck out the ball like today. Just when I'm tired I get lazy and hit crappy and shank the ball. Thinking of getting an apdc or 03 speedport so I can swing faster.:-?

tarkowski
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Head has a Prestige MidPlus that has an 18x20 pattern. Maybe you should check it out.

I agree. The MP 18x20 Prestige played great - a little heftier in the head than the pro with more control on tap everywhere. Given how much the op likes the 18x20 Dunlop, this would fall somewhere in-between the Dunlop and the Pro - i.e., control with lesser swingweight to help with topspin on groundies and serve.

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
OK, I'll bite, have any of you played with the prestige mp, pro and aerogel? Is the mp sort of in between? Suppose I can't help but wonder if it had leather on it makein g it more headlight, if it would be the best blend of the two. Meaning little less swingweight but still contol of the 18/20.

samster
05-31-2008, 06:08 PM
OK, I'll bite, have any of you played with the prestige mp, pro and aerogel? Is the mp sort of in between? Suppose I can't help but wonder if it had leather on it makein g it more headlight, if it would be the best blend of the two. Meaning little less swingweight but still contol of the 18/20.

Mark,

I recommend that you wait and try the Aerogel 100. I think it is a good S+V frame. The pop on the serve is just incredible and it volleys real well as well. Anyway, that's my two cents.

markwillplay
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
where do you get one? I keep reading aboutthem but I have never even seen one.

samster
05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
where do you get one? I keep reading aboutthem but I have never even seen one.

Email me and I may be able to help locate you one.

samster
05-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Or you can wait a few more days and TW should have them.

Strawberry
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM
I really don't understand how you become tired by the heaviness of the AG200. I mean I am a little more than ten years younger then you, and I certainly have no problem playing long matches with mine. I mean is the weight really that bad? Try stringing the AG with a little bit more responsive string like Big Banger. I was playing with Prince synthetic, but I wasn't getting the pop I'm getting now with the Luxilon.

markwillplay
06-01-2008, 02:56 AM
I think it is all relative really. If the AG wa the only racquet I had, I would not know any difference. The fact that I had the head sitting right on the bench probably just entred my mind and I grabbed it becaseu it swings a little lighter. The major difference is on swingspeed on the serve really. I have not deceded yet though. I plan on taking them both out at different times and playing entire matches with each. I have not done that so far but have only played sets twith them and switched...however, when you do switch and one feels like it is a little easier to play with...that tells you something I think.

markwillplay
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
well, the beat goes on. I have learned a couple more things today but one of them is that I am not good enough to play with both of these frames in the same match (ha ha). Man, I went out today again and played 4 sets in the heat. I went back and forth. When I went to the head this time, I was actually strugling with my serve. Almost like there was too much swingspeed (timing was off). I found myself going back to the Dunlop and playing mostly with it. There is something about my stokes and the head that bothers me just a bit. I tell you that if you leave the face just a bit too open...booom, the ball is sailing. I find that I can rip topspin with it but I have to be careul. Believe it or not, it feels to me like there is more heat on n my serves with the Dunlop (weight) but that may be an illusion because of the swingweight. I am going to play withit tomorrow morning in a match and not take the head. There was almost a comfort in the higher swingweight today...like it would not let me get irratic with my stroke. I really think this is just due to playing with both models in the same session. The head feels so much softer but more trampoline like...this is probably due to the stringing so I will get suggestions for stringing. I am thinking something soft like NRG2 but at mid tension instead of lower tension would be nice for the head. I have NRG2 at mid tension in the Dunlop and don't really care for it. Feels too tight. This may be one stick I actually try a poly at low tension in. Today, reound 3 goes to the Dunlop and I just judge that on the fact that when I started getting crazy with my serves and missing long with groundies, I went back to it for security.

I definately think the perfect stick for me would be one that is in between these probably but I also know that I could meke either one work for me with practice.

Bottom line

the Town Sherif
06-02-2008, 06:23 AM
honestly, playing with two racquets with different specs (especially sw) is not going to help your game. Everytime you go out and play, a different racquet will feel better to you than another, and you will be back to square one.

it sounds like you need something in between the two, and I agree with the other posters, that the Prestige MP sounds like the racquet for you.

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
"honestly, playing with two racquets with different specs (especially sw) is not going to help your game. Everytime you go out and play, a different racquet will feel better to you than another, and you will be back to square one".

you got that right. The MP tempts me but the grip shape is not my foavorite and another thing I like about the dunlop.

Tennisman912
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
markwillplay,

What I hear when reading between the lines is that you really want to play with the dunlop for some reason, but in a long, tough match it is just too much racquet for you and you won't admit it. Don't let your ego about playing with a certain racquet affect your tennis. Play with what is the best racquet for you. PERIOD. And it sounds to me like that is not the dunlop. I just don't understand all the people who have to play with a certain racquet even though it hurts their game (but most will not admit this).

I echo some of the other sentiments about trying the Prestige in midplus, especially the new microgel version (I used the liquidmetal version for 5 years). It is a phenomenal racquet. If the grip bothers you that much pay to have it changed or just pick something else. There are plenty of choices out there. Maybe try a kblade 98 as well. It is light, has low swingweight, is 18x20 and has a smidge more pop than the prestige.

Good luck.

TM

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
you might be right, I do have to say though that there is something about the dunlop that is more comfy to me. It may just be the control or the way it feels so solid when I stike the ball. I don't want to give up on a frame too soon I guess and the mic pro is what I would call a spinny frame where as the dunlop is a more solid feeling frame. I played 4 sets today and hit a bunch more including serving over and over to a buddy with both. He couldnot tell much difference in heat of serve and said that the dunlop seemed to create a heavier ball when we were hitting.

I do hear you though and after a good while, I won't hesitate to pass them along. Just so tired of looking for a stick. Been at this forway to long with a bunch of honymoons in between.

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
you know what...you are right. This may be the best post I have ever read here. I hate it when I get called out. My shoulder hurts right now....I don't like 330 swingweight....you are right.

Strawberry
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
And another one bites the dust. Move on AG200 owners, we've got a girly man.

In)SpiRe
06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I've actually played with the MG Prestige MP, wasn't an extensive thing but I can make it one as it belongs to my friend and I basically see him everyday for tennis. Just so you know, the MP is a very good racquet. IMO there is nothing wrong with it, except to me it is a little too light. But even still it does excellent for groundstrokes, haven't got to hit too many serves, but I get alot of pop, and the net game is good, as it is still pretty stable. I actually don't mind head grips too much anymore, though, so maybe that is why I could adjust better. I'm not too sure about you, as remember when I first played with a head grip, didn't know what the heck I was holding XD.

fuzz nation
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Howdy mark - not sure if you even need another log on the fire, but another frame with the 18x20 pattern 'n all that is the midplus Redondo from PK. Might be worth looking into...

Fill us in, btw, if you do try out a midplus MG Prestige.

markwillplay
06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I am going to go ahead with the prestige pro. Sold the dunlops so I would not keep going back and forth. I hav the pro at 12.2 oz (leather and just a wee bit of lead at 3 and 9). I also modified the grip slightly to make it less rectangular (nothing permenant but it does indeed work). I am going to go with this one for a while and see if I can make it work for me. Funny, at 12.2 oz it still swings lighter than the aerogels but alas, it does not have that "whack" that an 18 20 has. However, I can serve pretty well with it and I want to see if the rest of my stokes will adjust. Thanks for the tip on the redondo.

In)SpiRe
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I am going to go ahead with the prestige pro. Sold the dunlops so I would not keep going back and forth. I hav the pro at 12.2 oz (leather and just a wee bit of lead at 3 and 9). I also modified the grip slightly to make it less rectangular (nothing permenant but it does indeed work). I am going to go with this one for a while and see if I can make it work for me. Funny, at 12.2 oz it still swings lighter than the aerogels but alas, it does not have that "whack" that an 18 20 has. However, I can serve pretty well with it and I want to see if the rest of my stokes will adjust. Thanks for the tip on the redondo.

Hope you do good with it. My friend decided to demo that months ago and I got to try it out. While i'm not a huge fan of an open string pattern, and the pro didnt have the plow through that i like, i saw a good deal of potential in that racquet with some lead tape and a leather grip. And you happened to do just that. Good luck!

markwillplay
06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I had to add this....this is so typical...It was really hard for me to decide between these two but ultimately I did have to. Anyway, I go out today and play with the head. Did play pretty well and had a few balls fly (especially 1hbh topspin but they were better than yesterday). I also really noticed some extra pop on that wing when I made good contact. So I decided to play a 3rd set with the guy I was playing and for the fun of it to pick up my old max 200g (tree trunk). UNBELIEVABLE...My 1hbh immediately got way better and completely under control. My serves were in although probably not as hard, but still, looked very effective against this opponant who had been returning my serves all day. Even theough the stick is very heavy, something about it just works. It swings heavier than the aerogel but it swings smoother if that makes any sense. Trust me when I say it is way easier to control the ball with it than the pro (at this point). What can I say, maybe it is the string pattern, smooth swing, etc...I don't know but I just love the max 200G for serve and volley and 1hbh. The head is tiny and I hardly mis hit with it at all. I have to laugh at myself when the most comfortable stick I have is one I bought in 1987.

the Town Sherif
06-06-2008, 11:49 AM
big mistake dude...take that racquet and sell it on ****....

jayserinos99
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I had to add this....this is so typical...It was really hard for me to decide between these two but ultimately I did have to. Anyway, I go out today and play with the head. Did play pretty well and had a few balls fly (especially 1hbh topspin but they were better than yesterday). I also really noticed some extra pop on that wing when I made good contact. So I decided to play a 3rd set with the guy I was playing and for the fun of it to pick up my old max 200g (tree trunk). UNBELIEVABLE...My 1hbh immediately got way better and completely under control. My serves were in although probably not as hard, but still, looked very effective against this opponant who had been returning my serves all day. Even theough the stick is very heavy, something about it just works. It swings heavier than the aerogel but it swings smoother if that makes any sense. Trust me when I say it is way easier to control the ball with it than the pro (at this point). What can I say, maybe it is the string pattern, smooth swing, etc...I don't know but I just love the max 200G for serve and volley and 1hbh. The head is tiny and I hardly mis hit with it at all. I have to laugh at myself when the most comfortable stick I have is one I bought in 1987.

It's because it's the frame you used for a while. I had the same deal with the Pro Staff Classic 6.1; all my strokes were grooved since I used that frame for 7 years but I had to stop using it for fear my arm would give out. Anyway, I don't know if you thought about this but RPNY should still have those rounder-shaped pallets that make it feel more like a Prince grip shape if you're into a more rounder grip shape.

markwillplay
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I have actually added some athletic tape to the big side of the pallets (5 strips each) and it has made a huge difference in feel of the grip. I have both of the heads feeling pretty identicle and matched dog on close.

And I will never sell the 200g..too many memories in that one.....black magic ;-)