PDA

View Full Version : UT tennis camp?

finchy
01-16-2005, 08:09 PM
has anyone here been to one of these over the summer? im a really big longhorn fan and i really want to attend this. i was wondering if it was really worth it. i was really hyped because it had video analysis of your shots and i have always wanted to see my forehand and backhand and serve and just all shots and how i do them.

i was wondering if it was really worth it. i was also looking at this baylor tennis camp. i was thinking that it would be pretty good because baylor won the ncaa championship in 2004, 2003, 2002, and 2000 and it is cheaper than the longhorn camp by $30.

i was also wondering which school had the better tennis program, UT, Baylor, or Texas A&M.

andfor
01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
All I can tell you is, and I am about to kinda name drop here so get ready, is I used to play HS and junior tennis against the coach at UT. Mike Center. He probably does not remember me. So what, the point is this guy if he has not changed much was a first class act on and off the court. Now if your wondering and if he remembers he was so far ahead of me in playing ablilitywise it was not worth his time for him to be on the same court as me. But he was the kind of kid who did not care about that and if I had the nerve back then would have probably worked out with me if I simply asked. I digress(sp?)

Center was a heck of an athlete. This is from memory now going back a ways. He never really took up tennis full-time until his senior year in HS. He had then finally dropped football and basketball. Got a scholarship to play at Kansas University 82-85. Was an All-American. Asst. Coach. KU. Head Coach KU, Vol. Asst. Coach Stanford, TCU Head Coach, current Head Coach UT-Austin. Only UT's 3rd or 4th coach in 100 years or something crazy like that. This guy if he plays his cards right should be a coaching legend in about ten years.

I can't back it up but if you check the record books I bet UT has the better track record(team) over time verses BU and A&M. Yes Baylor was the champs last year.

My point and to answer your question if you were my kid (yea I know, thank God your not for your sake) for the extra $30 and I have kids too, I would trust you/their well-being and your/their tennis in Mike Center's hands at UT.

Good Luck with your decision, no matter where you go. I would like to hear about your experience and hope it's a good one. When I was a kid I went to a summer tennis camp 3 years in a row, the good ol the days. Enjoy 'em' while you can.

AF

finchy
01-17-2005, 08:20 AM
ahh yes, i went to John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch at New Braunfels and i had a blast. the pros there were of top quality. well at least most of them. i remember at least 2 of them helped me greatly with my strokes.

anyways, thanks alot for the input andfor. i am sure i will sign up for the camp now. by the way, there are like 4 other people directing the camp, so i dont know if we will see any mike center there. it might be like newks where there was no john newcombe.

atatu
01-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Historically, UT has the better program. Baylor has been great the past few years (obviously) because they had some awesome German guys on the team. A&M also has a good program, they built a new tennis center recently and they hosted the NCAA"S a few years ago. I'm assuming you're a junior and you're talking about the kids camp, I think it's pretty good, maybe not geared toward the super competitive kids. I know a couple of guys who teach at the camp, all good guys, all solid players. Plus Austin is a lot of fun in the summer.

finchy
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
i am a junior (15 years old) im not sure if we are talking about the same "kids camp" though. i am very competitive and would like to achieve varsity/champ/superchamp status before the beginning of next school year.

andfor
01-17-2005, 02:03 PM
....... thanks alot for the input andfor. i am sure i will sign up for the camp now. by the way, there are like 4 other people directing the camp, so i dont know if we will see any mike center there. it might be like newks where there was no john newcombe.

No problem. Good point about if you'll even see coach Center on court. To your point my son went to the Ole Miss Baseball Camp last summer. It was awsome. Head Coach Bianco mostly talked to the kids once a day and the rest of the day-to-day coaching was left up to his assistants and hired camp staff. Poor comparison baseball to tennis, but if the camp is well run with top notch instuction it should be an excellent opportunity to learn no matter what the sport. As I said, after camp is over let me hear how it went for you. Good luck with your tennis.

atatu
01-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like the camp wasn't for serious players. I think it's a great camp, I just meant that there are other options for nationally ranked players. I'm sure you've looked at Newks and I think Saint Stephens runs a Nike Tennis Camp during the summer. Then there's the the Austin Tennis Academy. I know a couple of kids who train there and they like it a lot.

finchy
01-18-2005, 02:15 PM
hah, i havent even won a zat yet, ill think about those later. i need to get to varsity status at least before i thinka about going to those uber top ranked tennis programs. lol.

SclyRejected
02-11-2005, 01:57 PM
hey I went to the St. Stephens one last summer and it was pretty good. Very few people actually board but that's fun if you have the right group. They really helped me and improved my game immensely, breaking you into skill groups so you have just the right amount of competition without being humbled by the stronger players. I think i'm trying UT or A&M this year though, possibly go back to St. Stephens... i'm kind of in limbo at the moment.

finchy
02-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I see SclyRejected, i hope to see you there! anyways, i already sent in my $100 deposit to reserve a place. I cant wait!!!

finchy
06-25-2005, 08:23 PM
okay, i went to the UT camp session 4 (june 19-23). I LOVED IT!!!! the counselors were great, the lodging (at Dobie dorm) was pretty awesome, the food was okay, the drills/instruction were very good and i am sure to come back next year.

btw, andfor, coach Center was there and gave us talks daily about mental situations, footwork, and more things. he really seems like a good guy. he told us he was going to wimbledon on Saturday (today) to watch some juniors play. Bob Haugen, the camp coordinator, and i think the women's head coach is stepping down this year. he was pretty cool too.

the courts at UT were very nice. the walk from the dorms to the courts wasnt exactly pleasureable, but nonetheless, good for warming your legs up. one cool counselor also led a group of campers running back to the dorm (he took shortcuts there but the deal was you had to run the whole way) and i ran alot and got some good exercise. plus, i didnt have to wait in line for lunch!

there was this fitness trainer that helped all of us with agilities, footwork, and strengthening exercises which was pretty cool also.

i had also met some new friends there and some went to baylor and a&m. they told me that the UT camp was the best they had ever gone to. im kinda sad i had to leave, but it was a great experience overall and i am sure to come back next year.

andfor
06-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Finchy. Big thanks for your follow up! That's good to hear you had a great experience and that Coach Center was so involved. I hope you see positive results from the work you put in at camp soon. I am sure you will.

If things work out here at the house over the next two weeks I am hoping to send my boy to a tennis camp later this summer. If he goes I'll post where he went and his experience then.

As a side note. When I was a kid I actually ended up attending collenge and playing tennis there at the same place I went to junior camp! Best of luck to you.

finchy
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
btw, andfor, Coach Center also talked about goals. He said he set a goal for himself to be the #1 junior in his section (im pretty sure he accomplished that). i also heard that he went on to win the national junior championships too. if anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

jimiforpres
06-27-2005, 12:38 PM
GO TO THE UT CAMP!!!!

I went to it a couple weeks ago and I improved sooooo much. Before I went to the camp I was pretty even with my usual hitting partner. Then after the camp I played him and beat him 6-0. My whole game improved a ton.

andfor
06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
btw, andfor, Coach Center also talked about goals. He said he set a goal for himself to be the #1 junior in his section (im pretty sure he accomplished that). i also heard that he went on to win the national junior championships too. if anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

He may have won a national tournament but I can't remember for sure either way. Those days go back to 1982 early eighties. I can tell you this he was a heck of a tennis player, juniors and college. Probably still has game.

finchy
06-29-2005, 03:06 PM
jimiforpres, what session did you go to? i went to session 4, june 19-23. i loved it.