PDA

View Full Version : k90, ncode90 feel puzzled

crash1929
05-31-2008, 12:27 AM
I came into the possesin of a a very nice ncode90 (feds previous stick). I loved it. It was stock 3/8 grip. It felt like a hunk of steel and the ball hit the strings it was soft and the stick had tremendous power. I especially loved the power and depth on the slice bh's. From the first time I played with it I was noticeably better. Winning points with ease. I had lots of confidence with this stick.

Then I cracked it in a fit of rage. I have purchased two ncodes since and strung them the same and none have that same mojo. the ball hits the strings and feels kinda dead and slightly pingy. Biggest difference is on the slice bh...not as powerful and not as deep. the bh slice makes a huge difference in singles cause you can hit three, four or five of them relatively easily to keep the rallies going and let the other guy make a mistake before you try anything. Now I cant really hit the bh slice with the same gusto.

Today I picked up a k-90 and so far the same story.It appears to feel like the same weight....... Before my hitting was like a hot knife through butter. Now I worry my bh slice is not going to make it past the service box sometimes. No power.

What gives? Confused

vndesu
05-31-2008, 12:33 AM
the k90 is different than the n90
the n90 has a heavier swingweight which gives you more power, but the k90 is lightweight and kindda based off the ps.

TonyB
05-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Maybe the first one you bought had the stringbed more broken in? Maybe you just need to give your other two nCodes some time for the strings to break in?

As for the K90, I found it to be very soft feeling. The one that I tried had NXT strung at mid tension and I loved it. Maybe a change of strings would help?

Other than that, I can't imagine why one nCode wouldn't feel like another one.

fortunecookiesjc
05-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Give it some time and than see. If you still see the same thing within like a month that move on.

I use the k90 and i havnt had problems controling it from baseline or to service line

0d1n
05-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Maybe the first one you bought had the stringbed more broken in? Maybe you just need to give your other two nCodes some time for the strings to break in?

As for the K90, I found it to be very soft feeling. The one that I tried had NXT strung at mid tension and I loved it. Maybe a change of strings would help?

Other than that, I can't imagine why one nCode wouldn't feel like another one.

We ARE talking about Wilson here ... they can sell you 10 different swinging/feeling/playing rackets and call them all the same model ;).

nickb
05-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Sounds like Wilson QC at work here!

Or (I would go with this):

You playing crap.

crash1929
05-31-2008, 09:35 AM
man thanks. i didn't know string beds needed to be broken in. really? The stick I liked was a used one. In fact I traded a new ncode90 for it back when I first tried it. I couldn't believe how much nicer it felt. the guy was surprised I would swith since the ncode I gave him was BRAND new. I hope that's a factor. I strung um up at 54lbs sensation.

Thanks for the feedback. I also play jazz sax and I get eqaully finiky about my horns (mark VI). Feels like the same kinda problem where you just can't get that feel again.

I have to learn about swing weight and what 12pts head light means and all that maybe its also a matter of some (a very small amt) led tape being needed in strategic places.

crash1929
05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
also what does it mean to have the string bed broken in? what exactly does that mean. What physically happpens?

Anton
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
also what does it mean to have the string bed broken in? what exactly does that mean. What physically happpens?

Tension gets dropped. a frame strung at 60lbs setting on the machine will be about ~55 coming off the machine, ~50 after a few hours and low 40's a few weeks after that.

By everything you said it sounds like your strings have a higher tension

do you use a dampener?

crash1929
05-31-2008, 10:23 AM
the ncode90 i liked was older. i had strung it three times and each time at 54lbs with sensation. Immediately after each string job it felt great.

so maybe string bed being broken in isn't the answer. I thought 'string bed being broken in' had to do with the actual structure of the raquet not the strings themselves.

No i do not use a dampner. why do you ask?

crash1929
05-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Also has anyone noticed that the k90 "feels" longer? Don't believe it actually is though.

justacityboy
05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
the grip on the k90 is much shorter than the n90....possibly why you feel like the k90 is longer

jck01
05-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Food for thought - I've only used the PS6.0 85 so I'm not an expert on this subject but did Wilson, over time, tweak the specs for nCode90? Is it also possible that the lot that the original nCode90 was manufactured at a different plant than the ones that are purchased more recently?

Holdfast44ID
05-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Food for thought - I've only used the PS6.0 85 so I'm not an expert on this subject but did Wilson, over time, tweak the specs for nCode90? Is it also possible that the lot that the original nCode90 was manufactured at a different plant than the ones that are purchased more recently?

I have two nCode Tour 90 sticks. The first one I got was an unused demo stick. Then I purchased a new one from a local shop. I felt like the one I purchased later was A LOT HEAVIER than the first stick I got. I finally decided to weigh each stick on an electronic postal scale. Guess what? I was right! The stick that felt lighter came in at 12.9 oz. strung. The newer stick came in at 13.6 oz. strung. I actually prefer the lighter stick, as it is easier to maneuver and just feels better overall. I heard that Wilson actually changed the manufacturing process after the first year the nCode was made, to make it stiffer/more reinforced structurally, because the racquets were cracking during the first year they were made. Perhaps I have the two versions of the stick.

Anyway, I'm experimenting by going in a totally different direction in racquets as I experiment with Nadal's Babolat frame as I want something that allows for more spin, is a little lighter, and might better suit baseline play. Just worry that my serve won't be as good or that I will lose control. So, I plan to string it up with natural gut for better feel/control and might put on lead tape if it feels too light. In the future, I also want sticks that are the same weight!!!

Holdfast

crash1929
05-31-2008, 11:15 PM
continue to be amazed at all the info on thise site... wheew.

OK. Played a full day with the k90. It felt VERY different than my poor cracked n90. I can hit great bh drives (two handed) with the k90. Wasn't very easy with the n90. BUT my bh slice is not as powerful witht the K90. Also my fh drive is not as powerful with the k90. Seems like I gravitated toward hitting big topspin shots on the fh side rather that the flat hareder more penetrating shots I preferred with the n90. All in all seems like the k90 was made to swing through the air better. If you didn't like the n90 becuase it was hard to hit a two handed bh. You might give the k90 a try.

LanEvo
06-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I came into the possesin of a a very nice ncode90 (feds previous stick). I loved it. It was stock 3/8 grip. It felt like a hunk of steel and the ball hit the strings it was soft and the stick had tremendous power. I especially loved the power and depth on the slice bh's. From the first time I played with it I was noticeably better. Winning points with ease. I had lots of confidence with this stick.

Then I cracked it in a fit of rage. I have purchased two ncodes since and strung them the same and none have that same mojo. the ball hits the strings and feels kinda dead and slightly pingy. Biggest difference is on the slice bh...not as powerful and not as deep. the bh slice makes a huge difference in singles cause you can hit three, four or five of them relatively easily to keep the rallies going and let the other guy make a mistake before you try anything. Now I cant really hit the bh slice with the same gusto.

Today I picked up a k-90 and so far the same story.It appears to feel like the same weight....... Before my hitting was like a hot knife through butter. Now I worry my bh slice is not going to make it past the service box sometimes. No power.

What gives? Confused

i believe this is all wilson qc here, because every racquet wilson makes is diff weight and balance so the ones u bought all are dif. so itll feel diff to the perfect one u had had

crash1929
06-09-2008, 11:05 PM
put some lead tape on and I like it much better. more power on serve. more drive on fh and more depth on shots in general. bh slice still not quiet as good but bh drive is much better( relative to ncode 90)

binomialtheory
06-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like Wilson QC at work here!

Or (I would go with this):

You playing crap.

I believe it's the Wilson QC. Their QC is CRAP!

Dark_Angel85
06-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Many things can affect your game in different days isn't it?

Well, of course the stock Ns and the Ks are different... but it shouldn't affect your game and alter it incredibly because they are not VERY different i.e. a k90 and a kzero....

Alexio92
06-10-2008, 03:01 AM
I believe it's the Wilson QC. Their QC is CRAP!

Quality Control is your answer.

crash1929
06-10-2008, 10:06 PM
to me the difference in th stock ncode 90's i've tried is VERY different. I've tried 3 two felt simialar and the one I liked felt very different. The Kfactor 90 felt very different from all the ncode90's, felt lighter in the head. Once I put some lead tape on it (four strings from the bottom and three from the top) it felt more like th ncode 90 I liked (ie didn't feel pingy and plowed through the ball more). Cant say what a huge difference this is making on my serve and general depth of all strokes ............(what does this say about my game that 1/2 a pack of tape made such a difference???). ...............My two handed bh drive is much better and consistant. I don't know why the led tape made this so.

Raquet problems? Dont forget about experimenting with the tape.

hit with a good 5.0 all day with it. nice work out. another area of improvement: the reach slice on the fh side when your pulled wide. I just stick my raquet out and I got a great shot. I've always had trouble before with this shot hitting it into the net. Now its been working better.

crash1929
06-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Don't mean to pound this one into the ground but the lead tape has made a huge difference. on the k90 anyone else find this a magical fix? Continuing to work on my weaknesses after writing them down on here and I'm improving!!! Feels great tennis is fun again.

nalk7
06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
I have two nCode Tour 90 sticks. The first one I got was an unused demo stick. Then I purchased a new one from a local shop. I felt like the one I purchased later was A LOT HEAVIER than the first stick I got. I finally decided to weigh each stick on an electronic postal scale. Guess what? I was right! The stick that felt lighter came in at 12.9 oz. strung. The newer stick came in at 13.6 oz. strung. I actually prefer the lighter stick, as it is easier to maneuver and just feels better overall. I heard that Wilson actually changed the manufacturing process after the first year the nCode was made, to make it stiffer/more reinforced structurally, because the racquets were cracking during the first year they were made. Perhaps I have the two versions of the stick.

Anyway, I'm experimenting by going in a totally different direction in racquets as I experiment with Nadal's Babolat frame as I want something that allows for more spin, is a little lighter, and might better suit baseline play. Just worry that my serve won't be as good or that I will lose control. So, I plan to string it up with natural gut for better feel/control and might put on lead tape if it feels too light. In the future, I also want sticks that are the same weight!!!

Holdfast
You might want to try the k90, gives you more spin than the ncode, and its not that different from your older stick. I recommend bab vs in the mains and PHT on the crosses at 56 LBs ;)

bluescreen
06-12-2008, 07:30 AM
uh...he bought a k90. he even talked about it in the post right above yours.

sadly, crash1929, uve experienced first hand wilson's subpar quality control. rarely will u get two of the same model that play exactly the same. your chances of finding an n90 that feels just like your old one r slim. good luck with your current sticks.

nalk7
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
uh...he bought a k90. he even talked about it in the post right above yours.

sadly, crash1929, uve experienced first hand wilson's subpar quality control. rarely will u get two of the same model that play exactly the same. your chances of finding an n90 that feels just like your old one r slim. good luck with your current sticks.

Actually I was responding to Holdfast44ID, not crash1929. Holdfast hasn't said he owns a k90, or even tried it, thats why I'm suggesting it.

bluescreen
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
gotcha. :)

crash1929
06-13-2008, 12:58 AM
"gives you more spin than the ncode"

yes, I found this to be true, the k90 stock feels more like a 'babolat'. it swings better. but lacks the 'plow thru' factor.

nalk7
06-13-2008, 09:52 AM
"gives you more spin than the ncode"

yes, I found this to be true, the k90 stock feels more like a 'babolat'. it swings better. but lacks the 'plow thru' factor.
I actually think it has an awsome plow thru effect! just try to flatten out your shots and you'll get that feeling ;)

bluescreen
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
as nalk7 is alluding to, i think the k90 is much more suited to flat shots. with the right string set up it will apply enough spin to keep the ball in. i find that i can hit flatter with this racquet and still keep the ball in.

i actually think the k90's plow through sets it apart from other 90 sq. in. frames. it offers the typical control, while allowing you to really hit through the ball and put some mad pace behind the ball.