PDA

View Full Version : The highest control rating

2nd_Serve
05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know which 3 rackets have the best control? (Based on TW's reviews)

Also, could you write down current rackets? Not rackets that have been discontinued i.e. Prostaff

Thanks.

[d]ragon
05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
the highest i;ve seen is the k90. not sure why ur interested tho. the review is strickly based on their opinions. it might not hold true for you

superstition
05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
1. Smallest head size.
2. Densest string pattern.
3. Thinnest beam.
4. Highest flexibility.
5. Greatest mass.

That's the recipe for the greatest level of control when it comes to flat shots.

However, some may argue that players who don't hit the sweet spot consistently have more control with larger string beds. It depends on what you're trying to control. If you're trying to hit extreme topspin then you're going to want a small grip, larger string bed, and so forth. If you're trying to return extreme topspin a larger head is often helpful, but a small grip may make it more difficult depending on your stroke production. "Control" is very vague. A dense string pattern makes it more difficult to "control" (produce) spin as far as I know. Everything has a positive and negative. But, a racquet with stability but practically no power is going to provide more control. Power and control are usually in an inverse ratio.

2nd_Serve
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
ragon;2381912']the highest i;ve seen is the k90. not sure why ur interested tho. the review is strickly based on their opinions. it might not hold true for you

Haha I know. It's just out of curiosity. I don't think theres anything better than my K90 :)

TennisVet
06-01-2008, 06:57 AM
KBlade Tour has a higher rating than K90.

Automatix
06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
ragon;2381912']...the review is strickly based on their opinions. it might not hold true for you

Exactly! There are some freaking weird numbers like:

Babolat PST 82
Yonex RDS 001 Mid 80

C'mon! A mid having less control than an 98 sq. inch headsize racquet?
Of course headsize is only one of the factors but the beam is thinner (max. width 20mm but varies down to 18mm, but a constant 21mm beam on a 98 sq. inch head cannot have more control).

Another funny mentioned above:

Wilson [k]Six One Tour 85
Wilson [k]Blade Tour 86

So let's get this straight... thicker beam, larger head and it has itsy bitsy more control? NOT IN YOUR LIFE!

So as you see it's only a road sign helping you with the direction... but you have to find Grannys Cotage by yourself :)

Djokovicfan4life
06-01-2008, 01:13 PM
PS 85 maybe?

Fumoffu
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
if you really think you need more control than a k90 offers, it may not be the racket...

geesechops
06-01-2008, 03:00 PM
The Pro Staff 6.0 85 got a control rating of 90 from Tennis Warehouse. I concur :)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/60/60Review.html

EDIT: oops, I just noticed you wanted racquets that are actually still made.

superstition
06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
The Pro Staff 6.0 85 got a control rating of 90 from Tennis Warehouse. I concur :)
Yet most players would have a harder time controlling the returns of huge topspin serves with that racquet.

2nd_Serve
06-01-2008, 09:09 PM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/60/60Review.html

EDIT: oops, I just noticed you wanted racquets that are actually still made.

Haha yeah. Thanks for the thought though.

if you really think you need more control than a k90 offers, it may not be the racket...

Lol. I'm not looking for a new racket. Nothing's better than my baby K90 :D. I was just curious.

geesechops
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Yet most players would have a harder time controlling the returns of huge topspin serves with that racquet.

True. The review was done in 2000 before the spin craze of poly and Babolat's. And it's all subjective against them playing each other (the play testers) I can handle all kinds of spin off the ground, but a big wide kick serve is about the hardest shot I have to contend with. But, in any case when you land on the sweet spot control is unmatched.

anirut
06-01-2008, 09:40 PM
1. Smallest head size.
2. Densest string pattern.
3. Thinnest beam.
4. Highest flexibility.
5. Greatest mass.

That's the recipe for the greatest level of control when it comes to flat shots.

Sounds very much like the Redondo ...

lilxjohnyy
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
5. Greatest mass.

i always thought a high mass means more power

2nd_Serve
06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
i always thought a high mass means more power

I thought that too. Maybe more stable? So that means more control? I don't know...Just a guess.