PDA

View Full Version : Wilson nPro Open nCode...opinions?

TripleB
06-01-2008, 06:17 AM
It's been a while since I've played much competitive doubles (at least 3 years) but I'm getting ready to play in a mixed doubles combo league. I headed out for our second practice of the year this past week with very below average results.

My Prince Original Graphite Mid felt a bit sluggish at times throughout the match (especially noticeable at net and off my forehand side). So I switched over to my Head LiquidMetal Radical Midplus which offered more quickness and a bit more touch, but the lack of spin potential really gave me problems when trying to hit those dipping returns at my opponents feet.

I saw that the Wilson nPro Open nCode is now under $100 and was just wanting to hear some feedback/opinions on this racquet.

I guess I'm hoping for a good quality "doubles" type racquet: big flat serves, excellent kick on second serves, quick and solid at net, good topspin/slice, and decent touch.

This summer I also plan to start playing some higher (much higher than me) caliber doubles so quickness of the racquet at net might be a major need (to keep me from getting injured) since I'm truly more of a singles player.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TripleB

cujays
06-01-2008, 06:30 AM
its a great racket
i would get it because its cheap

thel
06-01-2008, 06:36 AM
I demoed the npro open a last year and was unimpressed. It seemed to be a bit of a flimsy light-weight compared to the regular npro (the one with the 18 x 18 string pattern). The npro open had a very whippy feel to it but didn't feel as solid as the old npro.

Despite the similarity in specs to the npro open, I think that the Babolat Pure Drive is a far more solid racket.

h7hugo
06-01-2008, 06:47 AM
^^I don't think so...

I've the n pro open and I think it's a great all-court racquet.. and compared to the n pro team, I think the open its better...

Babolat racquet are more for baseliners... (excepet the pure strom and control line)...

TripleB
06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Despite the similarity in specs to the npro open, I think that the Babolat Pure Drive is a far more solid racket.

I've tried the Pure Drive on several occasions (and even bought the Roddick version) and could never find the control with this racquet. Loved the pop and spin on serve (and it volleyed much better than I thought it would), as well as the power, but tended to spray the ball way too much. I was sort of hoping the nPro would give me some of the characteristics of the Pure Drive with more control and a more solid feel.

Thanks for your input.

TripleB

martin
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Maybe yonex rds003. Great racket for me but i didn't like the extra length. So it was cut to a standard length by a professional customizer. It was worth the money cause it's the perfect racket for me now.
Btw. i tried the kpro open which is the same as the npro open more or less. I found that the racket didn't hit a heavy ball. No weight behind the serve. My serve with rds003 was much better with mass behind the serve even though it's not a heavy racket and very controlled power. You would have to customize the kpro open with lead tape to make this a good racket.

swimntennis
06-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I have this racquet (nCode nPro Open) in from the demos at TW right now. It's a really good racquet, and I'm going to end up buying it. It needs a little lead tape in the handle though (at least for me). I also demoed the new K Pro Open (basically the same racquet) but it didn't feel as crisp, and it costs about $80 more... The price really sealed the deal for me.

rayallen333
06-01-2008, 10:24 AM
My friend swears by the racquet and I've had a few chances to hit with it. In my experience, this racquet is VERY string sensitive. The first couple times, I absolutely hated the racquet. Very unstable, very small sweetspot - I think it was strung too high? Later, I found it much more forgiving and more stable when it was strung lower. It is actually quite low powered because of the lack of weight. Semi stiff, very spinny, VERY manuverable. Good doubles racquet but not heavy enough for power baseline. Just my take on it.

obnoxious2
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I think the new one (the ones that are on clearance right now) is better than the old version Its .5 oz heavier than the old which helps with stability. And I like the 16 x 19 feel of the strings compared to the thee 18 x 18. Another difference to note is that the old version had a 98 sq. in. head while the new one is 100 sq in.

wilfreb
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
i had one but it was too light.

D. Nelson
06-01-2008, 04:08 PM
....I agree 100% with TripleB ....I've demoed the Npro Open 2 times....liked it even BETTER the second time...AND the guys I was scrimmaging with thought so too.....really does volley about THE best around....and 'defense' in general is excellent.... The fuuny thing to me...I prefer a longer racquet...so I tried the longer version (called the Npro Open X).....did not like it AT ALL....???? Trust me --- grab one of those Npro Opens....you'll like it...esPECIALLY for doubles!!!

martin
06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
It played like a slightly lighter surge5.1 i used to have with a very muted feeling. Much too light for heavy hitting.

psp2
06-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I've been playing with the X version for quite some time now. I would agree with some of the above posters about adding some additional weight.

I highly recommend 4 to 8 grams at 3/9 in conjunction with around 14 grams under the grip. Both the stability and the plow through factors really shine with some more weight.

Pushmaster
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
The nPro Open was a rare "blind" buy for me and I'm very impressed with it so far. Very good control for a "tweener", in fact I was pleasantly surprised at how low powered it was. Contrary to what other posters say, I found the Open very stable despite the lower weight, even against heavy pace. It's so easy to produce topspin with it, has decent pop but not a rocket launcher like the original HPS Surge 5.1.

The nPro Open is a great all-court racquet that does everything well, in fact it's my main stick right now and probably will be for quite awhile.

racketguru
06-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I have the NPro Open, the Babalot Pure Drive, and the new KPro Tour. I hated the NPro Open the very first time I tried it, but, after tightening the tension to 62 lbs, the racket came alive. Because of its low swingweight, it is very manuverable and well suited for hitting a variety of shots. I absolutely love the NPro Open for doubles. It does, however, lack the mass for heavy baseline exchanges. For that I believe the KPro Tour is better. I also found that the KPro Tour is better for serving; it has a better combination of mass and control for hitting a more accurate and a heavier serve. The Pure Drive, I found, has poor feed back. It is probably a good racket for heavy topspin exchanges from the baseline and not manuverable enough at the net for quick exchanges.

TripleB
06-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks for everyone's input.

I just ordered a pair of the nPro Opens, 4 1/2" grip, one strung with Yonex Tour Super 850 16g @ 58 pounds and the other strung with Kirschbaum Super Smash 17g mains and Gosen Jim Courier 16g crosses (57/55 pounds).

They should be in by Friday and out on the courts by Sunday. I'll let you know how things go.

Again, I appreciate all your opinions....they helped me a great deal.

TripleB

Ben42
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey, Triple B. How do you like the nPro Opens?

2nd_Serve
06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm glad you decided to buy them. I think they're very nice rackets, and I personally love them and how they play, and feel. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find enough control in them. Have fun with them.