PDA

View Full Version : Spalding ATP Tour 200 Pro Line 'CAP' type Grommets?

Bud
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I acquired (2) ATP Tour 200 Pro Line racquets and the seller stated the CAP type grommets on them were stock. They are similar to the HEAD CAP grommets... but the plactic is a bit firmer and they don't completely cover the strings.

I've swapped the grommets on another Pro Stock racquet with Prestige mid CAP grommets... and they were very difficult to install.

Has anyone seen these before... and if so, what are they, who produced them and are they still available?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/sbinsdca/SEMmhp32ubI/AAAAAAAABCs/gFdQMsT5xec/s800/P1020776.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/sbinsdca/SEMme532uaI/AAAAAAAABCk/3XtYmaDlOxo/s800/P1020777.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/sbinsdca/SEMmo532ueI/AAAAAAAABDE/_cpNyCR3PA4/s800/P1020773.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/sbinsdca/SEMmqJ32ufI/AAAAAAAABDM/Lc6PVFgAzZo/s800/P1020771.JPG

Mansewerz
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Do CAP grommets cover more of the frame or have longer individual grommets for strings?

Bud
06-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Do CAP grommets cover more of the frame or have longer individual grommets for strings?

They protect the frame and strings and generally span the entire grommet channel distance. The lengths of the individual grommets is the same.

Zach
06-01-2008, 04:18 PM
A pro at my club uses those, I'll have to check tomorrow to see about the cap grommets though.

Bud
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
A pro at my club uses those, I'll have to check tomorrow to see about the cap grommets though.

Cool, thanks!

They look like they are stock grommets, too. I didn't realize that the ATP Spaldings had various grommets available. Replacing the non CAP type grommets on the Spaldings with HEAD CAP grommets is like trying to fit an elliptical peg into a round hole. It takes some work!

jetlee2k
01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
so Bud, did you finally get the MG Prestige Mid grommet into this racquet?? it seems almost fit 99%.. but it's so hard to get it in.. Did you cut the grommet??

Captain Haddock
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Installing CAPs on any frame, even a Head frame, is painful and frustrating. It takes patience and finger strength and skill. But the CAPs should indeed fit your Spalding, because the holes match (the Prestige 600 mold was used for these frames). I doubt that the CAPS were factory installed, though. I had a bunch of those and have never seen one with CAPS, unless they were installed after the sale. CAPS are a Head design.

Bud
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
so Bud, did you finally get the MG Prestige Mid grommet into this racquet?? it seems almost fit 99%.. but it's so hard to get it in.. Did you cut the grommet??

Installing CAPs on any frame, even a Head frame, is painful and frustrating. It takes patience and finger strength and skill. But the CAPs should indeed fit your Spalding, because the holes match (the Prestige 600 mold was used for these frames). I doubt that the CAPS were factory installed, though. I had a bunch of those and have never seen one with CAPS, unless they were installed after the sale. CAPS are a Head design.

I installed CAP grommets on another Spalding ATP Tour Pro Stock racquet and it was a bear! The diameter of the LM Prestige grommet nibs are too large for the Spalding ATP 200 grommet holes. I had to enlarge all the grommet holes whence they snapped into place more easily. Next time, I'll try the Microgel Prestige CAPs... as I think they'll be a better fit.

--> As far as the CAP grommets on the racquets shown above, they are stock Spalding CAP grommets... that's why I was interested to know if anyone had ever seen them before. It's the first time I've run across them on the Spalding ATP racquet line.

Bud
01-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Yes, however... some are much easier than others! It helps if you stretch the grommets out prior to installation.

The only racquets that have given me problems thus far are the LM Radical and the 2nd generation Graphite Pro with the Power Wedge.

[d]ragon
01-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey Bud, I ran into an old post of yours in the Wanted section. Are you still interested in getting some Spalding Pro Stocks?

plasma
01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
thanks Bud, outstanding photos as usual. I think I've only ever seen one 20 yrs. back!!! I know a few other fatcats in the collecting game who also have these. How do these beauties hit??? what is the headsize on these, and what was the headsize of the smallest mids they produced??? thx again for the sweet flix!

Bud
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
ragon;3019551']Hey Bud, I ran into an old post of yours in the Wanted section. Are you still interested in getting some Spalding Pro Stocks?

I'm good on them :)

Bud
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
thanks Bud, outstanding photos as usual. I think I've only ever seen one 20 yrs. back!!! I know a few other fatcats in the collecting game who also have these. How do these beauties hit??? what is the headsize on these, and what was the headsize of the smallest mids they produced??? thx again for the sweet flix!

They hit like a stiffer version of the Prestige, IMO. These 200's are Prestige clones... 90 sq. in with the same drill pattern.

Spalding produced a number of graphite racquets such as the GC-20, in the 1980's, that were low to mid 80 sq. in headsize.

The Spalding ATP Pro Line/Pro stock frames aren't really that rare and are still produced in China. TW sold them 5-8 years back... if you pull up some of the TW archived web pages... you can find them there :wink:

plasma
01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
it seems that copying the prestige as opposed to creating a new design is the m.o. of many companies these days...didn't companies like kneissl fischer and dunlop once make unique frame shapes that played really well???

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e5rxnt.jpg