PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Takeover of Junior Tennis

babolat15
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Ive been playing at the state qualifier this weekend and I have noticed an overwhelming amount of my peers using Babolat, even some of the top ranked players. Why do juniors like babolats soooo darn much.

fortunecookiesjc
06-01-2008, 04:29 PM
it sounds awesome and looks awesome. -.-

NovakWannabe
06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Where the hell did you get a Black K90??

Strawberry
06-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I liked Babolats but I didn't get one because of that reason.

geesechops
06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
They want power and spin from the baseline. Almost anyone these days can hit big with poly and a Babolat Drive. I personally cannot control that much string bed.

2ndserve642
06-01-2008, 05:06 PM
im a junior and i use babolat but most juniors to me use the k factor team bab or pure drive cortex

fortunecookiesjc
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM

it was painted on it wasnt stock. theres a thread btw

LanEvo
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM
idk why but babolats a big huge hit for jrs imo, like on my HS team over half the ppl have babs and some kid on the team got an APDC just because he said nadal played with it, i never really got into babs because i cant afford it but if i could id probably get one also

TennisandMusic
06-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Because they play pretty darn well?

fortunecookiesjc
06-01-2008, 05:49 PM
funny thing is nadal doesnt play with the APDC hahaha. Silly him!

LanEvo
06-01-2008, 05:54 PM
funny thing is nadal doesnt play with the APDC hahaha. Silly him!

yes with the guy i was just like thats kool, i didnt even say anything else because no one on the team will believe that and everyone on our team is a rich snobby kid

babolat15
06-01-2008, 06:37 PM
right now im between buying the pst the psl or the pdc. dont know yet

XxduckxX
06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

When you say black k90 do you mean carbon black??

YULitle
06-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd say it's because... that's who they market to, heavily. They also have the endorsements of top young players.

Double Fault
06-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I speak with no hard facts, only stuff I've thought about in the past.

Babolat is taking a lot of market share in many different age groups for many reasons.

One of these reasons is that they make excellent racquets that adjust to the modern game and the other one is that they have modern players that endorse them. A third and very important reason for their success is that they have one of the best distribution chains I've seen for a tennis brand.

100 sq in racquets seems to be their standard for modern tennis, especially on clay. There's less power required from the user, more stringbed for forgiveness, bigger sweet spot, etc. It promotes heavy bashing from the baseline while it sacrifices the net game. Then again, none of the players using Babolat are known for a good net game.

The have Rafael Nadal, probably the flashiest player on tour, successfully using their racquets (APD or APDC, doesn't matter). When you have a player that has never lost a Roland Garros match, has won something like 108 out of 110 c are known for a great net game.lay court matches and has kept himself in the #2 spot for so long, you're bound to sell a lot of sticks and string. Again, Nadal endorses the APDC, but he also turns Babolat as a brand into gold. Then there's Roddick, the guy with the fastest serve on tour. Hey, he's got the fastest serve using a Babolat racquet and Babolat strings, why shouldn't the same combo help my serve?

The third reason is probably the best one and it is a fundamental in any company's marketing mix: distribution. Haven't you noticed that anywhere you go you can almost always find Babolat racquets, Babolat strings, Babolat shoes, Babolat bags, Babolat everything? I live in a small country in South America and I wouldn't know where to find Prince or Head stuff, but I know where to go if I need anything with the Babolat logo stamped on it.

Here's a quick example just to show what I mean:

Argentina:

www.head.com.ar
www.wilson.com.ar
www.prince.com.ar

however...

www.babolat.com.ar

Don't mind the design and content, at least there's something, including phone numbers and an address.

Uruguay:

www.head.com.uy
www.wilson.com.uy
www.prince.com.uy

however...

www.babolat.com.uy

I'm guessing that the story repeats itself throughout the smaller markets, even though Argentina is one hell of a tennis market...

I know that Wilson, Head, and Prince have a presence here in Uruguay because I see a sign of them every now and then in some tennis court, but I have no idea where to find them, except for Prince, who's sad story comes up ahead. I called Wilson once because they're the distributors of Luxilon. Turns out, they had no clue what Luxilon was. I asked for some Wilson Sensation afterwards and they said that they don't carry it because people don't ask for it because it is too expensive. Needless to say, I went straight back to Babolat and bought the strings I needed from them. Funny though, because they carry Attraction and Xcel Premium (comparable pricing to Sensation) and they also have Tonic and VS. So I don't think that noone can afford the strings, noone even knows about them because they are not available, even at the main distributor.

Another smart move by Babolat down here is to dress up the tennis teachers in their clothes. Not only do they sponsor players, but they sponsor coaches! Guess where a beginner searches for racquet and string advice when starting out?

I recently got a hold of Uruguay's top tennis center magazine. This is the place where all the rich people play and it has a Prince store inside the club. It was funny how every single picture was plagued with Babolat racquets. I didn't see a single Prince racquet in their photos with juniors or seniors. It was quite unbelievable. I went to a public tennis court the other day and saw this huge Prince sign in one of them. The funny thing the distributor is advertising in a place where people that don't have enough money to get into the better clubs play. The catch? They have to go buy the product to a place where membership is US$ 3500 just to get in haha. Sure, they can access the store withouth paying the membership, but it is a remarkably stupid way to rub it in their faces.

Other brand's distribution down here has gotten bad enough that if I need to get some lead tape, I don't bother searching where to buy it. I just go to Babolat and know I can find some there. Same thing with grips and overgrips (even though I have to bring my Supergraps from Argentina). Whenever I need something tennis-related, I know the dude over at Babolat has it.

So, in the end, Babolat's success (at least down here) is to two three key things:

Great racquets that help the player develop their modern tennis
Great players endorsing their products (2 top tens...)
Great distribution chain

Funny thing is that the only reason I use Yonex racquets is because everyone here, and I mean EVERYONE, has a Babolat stick. Yes, I hate being a sheep and go through the trouble of bringing Yonex racquets from Argentina (no Yonex distributor in Uruguay) for my use. I have to admit though that my recent affair with the APD and the PSL have made me think about going back to Babolat.

babolat15
06-02-2008, 07:03 AM
I speak with no hard facts, only stuff I've thought about in the past.

Babolat is taking a lot of market share in many different age groups for many reasons.

One of these reasons is that they make excellent racquets that adjust to the modern game and the other one is that they have modern players that endorse them. A third and very important reason for their success is that they have one of the best distribution chains I've seen for a tennis brand.

100 sq in racquets seems to be their standard for modern tennis, especially on clay. There's less power required from the user, more stringbed for forgiveness, bigger sweet spot, etc. It promotes heavy bashing from the baseline while it sacrifices the net game. Then again, none of the players using Babolat are known for a good net game.

The have Rafael Nadal, probably the flashiest player on tour, successfully using their racquets (APD or APDC, doesn't matter). When you have a player that has never lost a Roland Garros match, has won something like 108 out of 110 c are known for a great net game.lay court matches and has kept himself in the #2 spot for so long, you're bound to sell a lot of sticks and string. Again, Nadal endorses the APDC, but he also turns Babolat as a brand into gold. Then there's Roddick, the guy with the fastest serve on tour. Hey, he's got the fastest serve using a Babolat racquet and Babolat strings, why shouldn't the same combo help my serve?

The third reason is probably the best one and it is a fundamental in any company's marketing mix: distribution. Haven't you noticed that anywhere you go you can almost always find Babolat racquets, Babolat strings, Babolat shoes, Babolat bags, Babolat everything? I live in a small country in South America and I wouldn't know where to find Prince or Head stuff, but I know where to go if I need anything with the Babolat logo stamped on it.

Here's a quick example just to show what I mean:

Argentina:

www.head.com.ar
www.wilson.com.ar
www.prince.com.ar

however...

www.babolat.com.ar

Don't mind the design and content, at least there's something, including phone numbers and an address.

Uruguay:

www.head.com.uy
www.wilson.com.uy
www.prince.com.uy

however...

www.babolat.com.uy

I'm guessing that the story repeats itself throughout the smaller markets, even though Argentina is one hell of a tennis market...

I know that Wilson, Head, and Prince have a presence here in Uruguay because I see a sign of them every now and then in some tennis court, but I have no idea where to find them, except for Prince, who's sad story comes up ahead. I called Wilson once because they're the distributors of Luxilon. Turns out, they had no clue what Luxilon was. I asked for some Wilson Sensation afterwards and they said that they don't carry it because people don't ask for it because it is too expensive. Needless to say, I went straight back to Babolat and bought the strings I needed from them. Funny though, because they carry Attraction and Xcel Premium (comparable pricing to Sensation) and they also have Tonic and VS. So I don't think that noone can afford the strings, noone even knows about them because they are not available, even at the main distributor.

Another smart move by Babolat down here is to dress up the tennis teachers in their clothes. Not only do they sponsor players, but they sponsor coaches! Guess where a beginner searches for racquet and string advice when starting out?

I recently got a hold of Uruguay's top tennis center magazine. This is the place where all the rich people play and it has a Prince store inside the club. It was funny how every single picture was plagued with Babolat racquets. I didn't see a single Prince racquet in their photos with juniors or seniors. It was quite unbelievable. I went to a public tennis court the other day and saw this huge Prince sign in one of them. The funny thing the distributor is advertising in a place where people that don't have enough money to get into the better clubs play. The catch? They have to go buy the product to a place where membership is US$ 3500 just to get in haha. Sure, they can access the store withouth paying the membership, but it is a remarkably stupid way to rub it in their faces.

Other brand's distribution down here has gotten bad enough that if I need to get some lead tape, I don't bother searching where to buy it. I just go to Babolat and know I can find some there. Same thing with grips and overgrips (even though I have to bring my Supergraps from Argentina). Whenever I need something tennis-related, I know the dude over at Babolat has it.

So, in the end, Babolat's success (at least down here) is to two three key things:

Great racquets that help the player develop their modern tennis
Great players endorsing their products (2 top tens...)
Great distribution chain

Funny thing is that the only reason I use Yonex racquets is because everyone here, and I mean EVERYONE, has a Babolat stick. Yes, I hate being a sheep and go through the trouble of bringing Yonex racquets from Argentina (no Yonex distributor in Uruguay) for my use. I have to admit though that my recent affair with the APD and the PSL have made me think about going back to Babolat.
high quality post right there