PDA

View Full Version : My take: APDC Review

rayallen333
06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi, I am 17, a varsity 1st doubles player (about high 3.5?). I just demoed the APDC, strung with unknown yellow poly at unknown tension. Normally play with LM Radical OS or 03 tour MP. I played with my friend, who is about 4.0, #3 in his hs (1800 people) and plays USTA. This is my take (using jdeloach's style) and comparisons for help:

Design:
Personally the 03 tour mid/mid+ has the sweetest paint job and feels the greatest. Thin beam, glossy paint, very metallic construction -> love it. APDC...ehhh, feels plasticy, paint job too busy, very average.
4/10

Comfort:
Poly strings, quite stiff frame, not the greatest comfort racquet in the world. On the other hand, I lifted and played 2 hrs of tennis and as of right now my elbow feels fine. Racquet plays with decent stability, better than the 03 mid+ (very unstable for me) but worse than the LM Radical OS (quite stable for its weight). Definitely playable for the majority of players.
7/10

Groundstrokes:
This is where the racquet shines. Spin is absolutely amazing, giving me the best lobs ever. My friend comes up to net and I just throw the ball up there and force him to run back. At sub 5.0 tennis, moonballing with this racquet is just unfair. The racquet had much better depth and directional control than either my O3 tour or my LM radical. On the other hand, if I hit the ball early (quite low swingweight) or too late, I sprayed the ball. Aggressive cuts are promptly rewarded with heavy top spin. The racquet is MUCH more powerful than either the 03 tour or the LM radical, but the power is quite controllable. I never managed to hit flat with this racquet, but that may change as I play with it more. Overall, this was the most fun I've ever had playing tennis. I never hit that many winners and I had very few balls go into the net (Most errors went into the doubles alley or about 3 inches out). I hit a few great slices but missed quite a lot of drop shots. Feel wasn't too great.
Pros: Amazing spin, great control for tweener, great angles.
Cons: I can't flatten shots, shots seem not very heavy/powerful for my hitting partner, no feel
9.5/10

Volley:
Waaayyy too powerful. Sprayed mannnyy volleys. I thought the o3 sucked at volleys, but at least the ball stayed in. With this racquet, everything went too far, too high. Definitely not a doubles racquet. Whereas the LM radical was quite amazing at net with power, control, and muted thud feel, the ball seemed to go wherever it wanted to go and I could never feel where the ball was going. It might be just because I havn't gotten used to it, but I don't think I will ever be very comfortable volleying.
6/10

Serves:
Simply hit or miss. I loved the 03 tour for serving, the LM Radical was okay, this one was a notch below the LM Radical. I can hit my 2nd kick serve with confidence, but when I go for it, I tended to spray balls. Maybe another cession would help but so far no luck. I can hit with a lot of spin or a nice flat shot, but neither landed in consistently. I do believe a few more hours will solve the problem, but I doubt I'll get the same results as my 03 tour.
7/10

Returns:
Can block or take big cuts. Decent stability, good depth, overall not bad. When I mess up and hit too early or late, I sprayed a few, but that is entirely my fault.
8.5/10

Final Thoughts:
I had a blast playing with this racquet and generally got great results. I lost 7-6 to my partner who can normally beat me 6-2ish. I was much more consistent and hit a better winner/error ratio. 2 double faults in the set but only 1 ace. If someone can find a racquet with the same addictive spin/power but with better feel, comfort, or volleys, I will be set for life.

By the way, I normally hate poly but I may have just seen the light because of this racquet.

fortunecookiesjc
06-01-2008, 06:08 PM
APD without cortex over APDC

El Guapo
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Prince Speedport Tour. Just as much spin and power with better comfort, serves and volleys.

Dark_Angel85
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
APD without cortex over APDC

I second your opinion.

I demoed the APD and the feeling of it was much better compared to the APDC. Though I didn't get to hit with the APDC for too long, but I felt that the APD was much more memorable compared to the APDC. Somehow, the APDC felt like a hollow racquet without the solid feel of it's predecessor.

... and I just personally prefer the old one's feel in my shots. :)

kanjii
06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Try the Head Microgel Extreme Pro..good topspin, a little better power and able to hit balls flatter and the serves is the bomb :)

Hankenstein
06-02-2008, 04:52 AM
I have played my APDC about 15-20 hours clay court tennis now, and i like it alot, BUT, the serve is a problem. Sure, a 2nd kick-serve is very effective, but to go flat out is very difficault. The ball tend to land to long every time. My hitting partner had the same problem. He liked the spin on the serve but when going flat out, it was very hard to get the ball in compared to his Prince o3 tour.

reesespiecestennis
06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
how do you guys play with poly if you only have one racquet? Doesn't it die really fast and you have to restring it? I can't get them restrung like every night.

herosol
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
the flat serve on the APDC is actually not that hard.
I've been playing with APD and APDC for the past 2 months.

i can hit it just as hard, but i used a LM Rad Mid+ so maybe that might be different.
blah.

fortunecookiesjc
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
APD has more feel to it. APDC feels hollow. The Cortex system dampens out everything so much that i hate hitting with it. APD is cheaper and better

rayallen333
06-02-2008, 07:09 PM
It does feel sorta hollow. Unfortunately the APD is out of production, so tough luck.

rayallen333
06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
By the way, does leading a racquet help you hit a heavier ball?

fortunecookiesjc
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
theres always ways to find out of production racquets......

obnoxious2
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
If you're spraying volleys, its not the racquet its you.

ledor
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
great review. I just don't like serving with this. The roddick is way better for serves. Other than that, this racquet is a topspin machine, and you do need a fast long swing for results.

herosol
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
APD has more feel to it. APDC feels hollow. The Cortex system dampens out everything so much that i hate hitting with it. APD is cheaper and better

you a fool for thinking a cheap and hollow "V" shaped object does anything
:[

El Guapo
06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
you a fool for thinking a cheap and hollow "V" shaped object does anything
:[
and you're a fool for thinking that the "V" is the Cortex.