PDA

View Full Version : aerogel 200 owners..speak up..

markwillplay
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
what's your set up and why? I am working with 2 of these and have nrg2 17 in one at mid tension (don't like it too much, still feels a bit boardy) and gosen synthetic gut in the other at 57 (feels more comfy but I think I can do better). Looking for as much spin on serve as I can get (struggling with this a bit) and looking for comfort. I serve and volley a lot with a 1hbh and semi western forhand using a good amount of topspin....well maybe a lot.

basil J
06-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Try gut at 63#-65#. I have one w/ gut and one w/ psgd @61#. Gut plays softer with more pop. PSGD plays stiffer with more control.Aerogel is stiffer than the muscle weave. 17 gauge is better than 16 gauge in this frame for comfort and control for sure.

babolat15
06-02-2008, 05:43 AM
^^^maybe offer a cheaper alternative also

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
hey basil, just to let you know, I think I am going to go with the aerogel over the head. Just more solid and predictable... that is getting to be addicting. Not as much spin and heavier but for now, that stability really is fun. I definately think that I won't break strings in this one easy so I can go for thinner string and a little more expensive becasue I think they will last. I don't tik I want to string anything over mid tension though...even NRG2 17 at nid tension is pretty tight feeling.

basil J
06-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Once you get dialed into a dunlop 200series frame, there are not too many others out there that rival the combination of feel power and control. Stick with it and you will adjust to the weight. It is not really a heavy frame, compared to some of the other players sticks out there today.

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
isn't it strange though that I think this stick swings a good amount heavier than the yonex 002 tour yet my ground strokes are so much more controled and predictable. Weird really. The swingweight of my yonex's was 323 and 327 and that is lower than advertized. Anyway, everything is relative becasue this head mic prest pro swings through the air like a feather and is very spinny. I am still going to try another string tension in it. I was hitting serves today back and forth with a buddy and he couldnot tell that one had way more heat than the other. Oh well, I actually put leather on the dunlops and that has made them slightly less more headlight and slightly heavier overall...slightly. I suppose I could have used the trap door but I figured I would try the leather for fun. Feels good and I do like the dunlop grip shape better than the head for sure.

Strawberry
06-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Good choice.
Try either Luxilon Big Banger Alu or Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase. A gut like feel with plenty of pop. I have Alu on mine.

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
well, the other thread called me out. I don't want to move on with a swingweight of 330...it's over my head and I am going to admit it....there...done. I am moving them both,.

vndesu
06-02-2008, 07:53 PM
alu power at 57
worked well even if low tensioned

Matt21
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
17g Head Intellitour @ 49m/47c. This is a sweet setup.

jonolau
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I've got the AG200 16x19 frame.

To give you some background into my style of play: I play with full Eastern, very fast swingspeed.

Using a poly/syn gut hybrid of Big Ace/Spiral Flex, I found balls constantly going long on groundstrokes and had trouble reigning in the power. However, volleys and slices were nice with this setup.

Going full poly, this was the most suitable for me. I could dial in my serves very well getting good directional control, but had to crank up the swing a little more to generate some pace on serves. Groudstrokes was where the full poly benefit my swing style the most. I could keep baseline groundies in play, and even mid court shots were a breeze.

basil J
06-03-2008, 09:54 AM
The other thread called you out?? I don't get it.If you like a stick, use it. What do you mean you got called out?

markwillplay
06-03-2008, 02:25 PM
no, I am half way kidding. That last one where the fellow said to play with what was most comfy got me thinking. I just feel that the head plays easier for me right now with a bit lighter swiongweight and I know I can get used to either. I decided to part with the dunlops and go with the head mic prest pro only. Mistake? maybe, but I did feel it was more comfortable to play with. We'll see.

Strawberry
06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
That's a joke. I can play just fine with the swingweight, and I'm, probably 5 years younger than you.

markwillplay
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
well whoe there bro. I promise that I can swing either one and at 38 I would also say I am in better shape than most people I know regardless of their age. I never said I could not swing it...however, I did say that the head was less demanding on my body (at least with my stokes) over a long match and that they both had their strengths. The head is a bit more powerful off the ground and a little quicker at net...not as solid at impact (because of tight pattern no doubt) though so there is a trade off. Bottom line is I needed to make a choice. The fellow that posted over on the other thread did make me think a bit. Do I play with the one that is more demanding or not? Is the trade off worth it for my game? Niether one is light...swingweight is just a bit different. I did not get as tired serving with the head but I am certainly not saying that it serves better than the dunlop although I did get more spin on serve with it. You can't go wrong with either. I have put a touch of lead on the head to make it a bit more stable and will move on. I will finish the ladder matches I have with it and hit a bunch with it in between. If I just have to have 18/20 pattern after that, I will look elsewhere for something with a swingweight no more than around 327. Over 330 and it starts to get in my head against heavy hitters.

Passion4Tennis
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Mark, I've really enjoyed this thread. I don't own an Aerogel 200, but I'm about to demo one, along with a AG 100. I have a feeling I'll enjoy both frames, because I've always felt comfortable with frames between 90-95. I currently own a Wilson Rok (great control, comfortable, but very little power), and I used to own the PC 600 and a V-E 10 mid. I'm sure both AG's will give me more power than the Rok!

markwillplay
06-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Well, I have some time at the computer and I have really enjoyed coming to this site. I was out of any kind of competitive tennis for so long (have not played a tournament since I was in early 20's) because of elbow surgery and life (kids, job, yada yada). I really read the advice of folks here and think it is a great recource for people like me who don't really know what is out there (strings....wow!!!). I really liked the dunlop and I know I can get used to the weight of any stick really, but I had to make a choice. I may have made the wrong one but I had to make one and just decided the path of least resistance. In a way, I regret not haveing two different weights of 18/20 patterns but I got my sticks used here and got good deals on them. I think the reason I like the dunlop is that it does remind me oof that max200g that sits in my office. I used to love that stick and used to kill baseliners with it. The ball just goes deeper with more weight with the dunlop (either one) but it is hard to get over the hump with a heavier swinging stick. It is so weird to me that the head mic pro leaded up to 12.2 oz would still swing lighter than the dunlop stock at 12.1. Ergonomics I guess. I will have 2 heads and will really play with them leaded up a bit. I think that after a month or so if I still have that 18/20 desire, I will trade and get a couple, and I will know.

And just so you know, I would love to hear your take on the 100. If the 200 had swung even a hair lighter, I would have gone with it.

jonolau
06-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, I have some time at the computer and I have really enjoyed coming to this site. I was out of any kind of competitive tennis for so long (have not played a tournament since I was in early 20's) because of elbow surgery and life (kids, job, yada yada). I really read the advice of folks here and think it is a great recource for people like me who don't really know what is out there (strings....wow!!!). I really liked the dunlop and I know I can get used to the weight of any stick really, but I had to make a choice. I may have made the wrong one but I had to make one and just decided the path of least resistance. In a way, I regret not haveing two different weights of 18/20 patterns but I got my sticks used here and got good deals on them. I think the reason I like the dunlop is that it does remind me oof that max200g that sits in my office. I used to love that stick and used to kill baseliners with it. The ball just goes deeper with more weight with the dunlop (either one) but it is hard to get over the hump with a heavier swinging stick. It is so weird to me that the head mic pro leaded up to 12.2 oz would still swing lighter than the dunlop stock at 12.1. Ergonomics I guess. I will have 2 heads and will really play with them leaded up a bit. I think that after a month or so if I still have that 18/20 desire, I will trade and get a couple, and I will know.

And just so you know, I would love to hear your take on the 100. If the 200 had swung even a hair lighter, I would have gone with it.
Well, we're both the same age I've gone down the same path as you.

I used to play with a Volkl that weighed 373gms (I think it's a tad over 13ozs) until age, atrophied muscles, soiled nappies and gravity caught up with me. The heft of my Volkl didn't help that my footwork and timing were out of sync. That's when I made the switch over to a more forgiving racquet with a lower swingweight - the Dunlop MFil 300 with a SW of about 309.

The MF3 allowed me to maintain allowed me to maintain longer rallies without tiring my arm out, and I could generate high racquet head speed with no worries. I could continue to belt out punishing groundstrokes and gave me a bit of allowance on off centre shots that were a result of getting to the ball late.

It was an ego hurdle that I had to hump over switching from a "players" racquet to a less hefty midplus racquet. But once you get past that, it's all sunshine and green pastures from then on.

Give it a shot! :)

basil J
06-04-2008, 05:35 AM
At 47, I still struggle to find a groove with any frame under 12 ounces. To each his own..

jonolau
06-04-2008, 05:41 AM
At 47, I still struggle to find a groove with any frame under 12 ounces. To each his own..

I envy you ... :) and I mean it sincerely.

You've got to share with us your secrets of mainaining your youth!

markwillplay
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I actually agree with Basil on this one. I do not like light frames either...they throw my timing way off and I like as much plow through as I can handle. This head is 12.2 oz (I have a touch of lead at 3 and 9 and a little something under the hood) so again, it is not light. It just swings lighter than the dunlop does. I just played with it today in a 3 set match against a 4.5 player that I hardly ever beat. Well, I beat him 6-7, 6-0,6-3 and my serve was every bit as effective at the end of the match as it was in the beginning. This match was in the heat and major humidity here in eastern NC and in the middle of the day. I do feel that I made the right choice between these two sticks but at the same time, I also really miss that solid whack you get from the dunlop string bed. My gut tells me that I would really like the prest mid plus with weight in the handle to give me the control I miss with the dunlop. The balls will still fly off this prest pro if you aren't really careful to hit with a lot of spin. Now about this head grip...;-)

AAAA
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
markwillplay, Are you able to compare the solidity of the AG200 with any older racquets you've played with? A quick answer like

AG200 > Yonex RDX 500

meaning the AG200 is more solid than a yonex RDX 500 will do for me.

markwillplay
06-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Ag200 more solid than

POG mid
Wilson 6.1 95
volkl c10 pro

most newer ones I have played with as well. Even stock, the 200 does not get pushed around and has great plow through. I think the swingweigt and 18/20 pattern is just hard to get pushed around.

AAAA
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks markwillplay.

I'm looking for a racquet that's 'better' than my Fischer Pro classic and Fischer Pro #1 combined. The specs of the AG200 look promising.

K-LEG
06-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Read the sig. In about a month I'm gonna try PHT 16s at 55 lbs. My current setup owns. Poly takes some time to get used to if you only have used multis/synthetics in the past. Just make sure you have a good amount of racquet head speed and string the poly somewhere around 55 lbs

Hidious
06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I've been struggling with the Aerogel 200 and what to string it with. While i was enjoying Cyber Flash/Gosen Sheep Micro at about 56-58lbs in my old M-Fil 200, this setup won't work at all in the Aerogel. A lot too powerful for my liking. Don't get me wrong, i love the AG 200 but only with full poly, currently Blue Gear for me. It's plays great but i'm beginning to have some issues with Arm/shoulder (obviously).

I'm not sure what to do. I tried going back to M-Fils but they felt so heavy...

tarie
06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
How do you compare the ag200 16x19 to the Prestige MG Pro?

Hidious
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Bump, i'd still like to hear about AG 200 users. Please! :D

The FishEXpress
06-07-2008, 04:35 AM
The Dunlop Aerogel 200 16 x19 when leaded up at 3 and 9 o' clock and at the top of the handle....is the best racquet in the series.

markwillplay
06-07-2008, 04:58 AM
never played with one....wonder why they don't sell it here

0d1n
06-07-2008, 05:23 AM
The Dunlop Aerogel 200 16 x19 when leaded up at 3 and 9 o' clock and at the top of the handle....is the best racquet in the series.

I didn't play the 18x20 version, but I do think the 16x19 is a great and customizable racket (in line with the AG 100). It swings very light in stock form though ... so a few grams in the head and a leather grip will do a great service to the racket ;).
I still prefer my Tour 10s though, they are more forgiving (i.e bigger sweet spot).

muggy
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I play with the AG200 16x19, and have used the AG200 18x20 for quite some time as well.

I agree, the 16x19 could use a little lead, although I haven't gone to this yet.

The thing about the 18x20 and the AG100 is, if you look at their racquet make up, they're both listed as 100% hotmelt graphite, which is why they feel so good. The 16x19 is listed as a mix of stuff similar to the M-fil's. I think that the 16x19 is an extension of the m-fil construction.

That said, I did prefer groundstrokes with the 18x20 more, haven't tried the AG100, and the 16x19 suits my game better.

tarie
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I play with the AG200 16x19, and have used the AG200 18x20 for quite some time as well.

I agree, the 16x19 could use a little lead, although I haven't gone to this yet.

The thing about the 18x20 and the AG100 is, if you look at their racquet make up, they're both listed as 100% hotmelt graphite, which is why they feel so good. The 16x19 is listed as a mix of stuff similar to the M-fil's. I think that the 16x19 is an extension of the m-fil construction.

That said, I did prefer groundstrokes with the 18x20 more, haven't tried the AG100, and the 16x19 suits my game better.
Are you sure that ag100 and ag200 18x20 are 100% Hot Melt graphite and 16x19 no?

CHOcobo
07-08-2008, 07:15 AM
so what strings/tension do you guys use with your AG200? do you like it? i'm planning to get one.

Love50
07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
so what strings/tension do you guys use with your AG200? do you like it? i'm planning to get one.

For the 18x20 AG200, I like poly at 50 and syn gut/multi at 55.

Hidious
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I like syn gut/multis at 63 ~ 65lbs and Blue Gear at 60 lbs

snoflewis
07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
i've got sppp/psgd at 58 but im gonna drop it 2 lbs down to 56 lbs to soften up the stringbed.

rosewall4ever
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
AG User 4 bout a year now....Eastern style of play (both wings single hand),previous wilsons 95 b4.

Anyways..first off great stick. Performs a tad less than n90 interms of stability..cause of weight. Using a durable multi like sensation or nxg is good but i like using the stock string @ 50...Let the racquet do the work. Add bout 6g on the handle to give some extra swing weight

snoflewis
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
wilson sensation or nxt isnt really a durable multi...especially sensation

Speedygonzalez
07-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I am using full poly setup at 55 lbs. The string is so cheap that it even doesn't have a name. The only thing I know about is, that it's made in Germany and 1.20mm. I like the control, spin and the power if you need it. It is a bit harsh on the shoulder however, especially when I play many flat serves.

I will try Gosen Micro and PSGD later.

muggy
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Are you sure that ag100 and ag200 18x20 are 100% Hot Melt graphite and 16x19 no?

You know, I got this off a vendor website, and after looking at a couple other websites, I have no idea if this is true or not. Sorry for speaking prematurely on the matter.

Ross K
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I think it was jdeloach in one of his well known reviews who said the AG 200 was weak on the serve... what do you AG users think of its power and general serving capabilities?

snoflewis
07-09-2008, 12:37 PM
the racket had more pop than i originally expected but it was definitely controllable. almost every midplus racket i've tried either lacked power or hard too much power at the cost of control. but this racket fit right in the middle. I found this racket to serve well too, with that extra pop. i also tried the mfil200 and this is a vast improvement.

Serve n' Volley
07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Woops. wrong thread.

Matt21
07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I think it was jdeloach in one of his well known reviews who said the AG 200 was weak on the serve... what do you AG users think of its power and general serving capabilities?

Of all the racquets I've served with, this one (for me) is probably 2nd to only the PS 6.0-85 in terms of hitting the kicker right into the body. I've played with/owned the following 18x20s:

- Head Ti.Classic
- Head Flexpoint Prestige XL
- Head i.Prestige MP
- Head MG Prestige MP (current #1 frame)
- Dunlop Hotmelt 200g
- Dunlop MFil 200
- Dunlop AG 200 (current #2 frame)
- Wilson NBlade 98

Of all those 18x20s the AG200 gives my opponents the most trouble returning my serves. I've found the AG 200 (for me) plays best strung @ 49m/47c (currently, I have it strung with Head intellitour, which feels great at first, but tends to lose tension/feel sooner than I like).

My new favorite blend is Livewire XP in the mains and Technifibre X-One Biphase in the crosses. Nice combo of feel and spin.

mtommer
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
FWIW, I demoed the Aerogel 200 for about two weeks straight. I liked it. I use the M-Fil 200 now and don't find the frames to be different enough to really notice. The AG 200 feels a little more "crisp" when hitting but other than that they play so very similar. Anyway, I string at 65/65 with Lux Alu Power Rough 16 mains and Prince Syn Gut 16 crosses.

JediMindTrick
07-10-2008, 07:16 AM

For me the AG 200 is the best serving racquet I ever used. I was hitting huge bombs without even trying too hard. A relaxed swing is all that's needed. Maybe the strings in my demo were loose?

CHOcobo
07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I still prefer my Tour 10s though, they are more forgiving (i.e bigger sweet spot).

Tour?? do you mean the Aerogel Tour racket? cuz i looking to buy a AG200 in my area and all they have is the Aerogel Tour with 100sq head. is that what you got?

nickb
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Tour?? do you mean the Aerogel Tour racket? cuz i looking to buy a AG200 in my area and all they have is the Aerogel Tour with 100sq head. is that what you got?

He is talking about the Volkl Tour 10..

Nick

jackson vile
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
This is an amazing racket, no weakness what so ever. IMO for basliners that are big spinners you would want to go to a more powerful poly, those that are flatter hitters look for a lower power poly.

I would highly recomend Silver String 18g

CHOcobo
07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
This is an amazing racket, no weakness what so ever. IMO for basliners that are big spinners you would want to go to a more powerful poly, those that are flatter hitters look for a lower power poly.

I would highly recomend Silver String 18g

is the AG Tour the same as AG 200? they have a exact same color and everything. the only diff is the Tour as an extra 5sq head surface.