PDA

View Full Version : head mic prestige pro useres help with set up

markwillplay
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
trying out one of these with head syn gut at 57. Ball seems to fly a bit. Very soft but a little too trampoline like for me to get a good feel for what the stick can do. What are your set ups and why. I serve and volley 1hbh semiwestern forhand with good topspin.. I notice that I am really brushing up on the ball to keep it in right now and the serve seems not quite crisp enough (too much trampoline). I like soft but not trampoline and there is a definate difference.

markwillplay
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok, this is now my stick of choice. I have 2 and one has x-1 byphase and the other has nrg2. both strung originally at 60 so probably mid 50's now. I have lead on the handle and in the hoop. they both weigh in at 12.3 and are 8.5 pts headlight (or very close). I would love to know what strings you loe with this frame and also, if anyone has had the entie grip changed by rpny or one of those companies. I have modified the grip the home made way but adding to the large sides of the pallet makes it a bit too large so its either get used to it or change it completely. love to hear comments on this frame and set up.

Shaolin_sword36
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Using Gamma Livewire XP at 56...it definitely has a higher dwell time and is very soft/comfortable on the arm. It's not quite as crisp or stiff as I would like...looking for something that a) holds tension relatively well b) plays like a crisp poly

ClubHoUno
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I have added an overgrip (4 gram) and a heavier leather grip to my two. I then have added some lead tape at 9 and 3 o'clock (4 grams in each side) - and I hit serve bombs with the two MG PP's now :D

I have two MG PP's on their way from Tennis Warehouse now in grip size 4 - will then sell my two current MG PP's, with grip size 4 3/8 and maybe just add a Gamma Suprme Overgrip to the two new rackets and 2 X 2 gram leadtape to the head at 9 and 3 and see how it plays with this combo.

I currently have a hybrid of Luxilon ALU BB in the mains and Babaolat VS Touch 16 in the crosses in my two MG PP.
The two new arriving gtom Tennis Warehouse tomorrow with the larger gripsize will have a FULL natural gut hybrid of VS Touch 15L in the crosses and VS Touch 16 in the mains. This will give me extra power compared to my cyrrent setup in the two MG PP's and therefore I don't think I will add more than 4 gram in the handle and 4 grams lead in the head, which will make the swing weight in the 325 gram range, which will be OK, I think.

Only time will tell though :D

markwillplay
06-13-2008, 07:43 AM
I tried adding tape layers to the large sides of the handle and it definately worked to make it more wilson dunlop like but that made the grip a little too large. If had bought them at 1/4 this technique would have worked great. the long part of the pallet is lnger than most 3/8 pallets. Anyway, I have heard that many people here just got used to the grip shape like it is. Has anyone had their grip changed professionally?

Blade0324
06-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I have 3 of these stick and am currently using the following setups. 1 with KLIP armour pro 17 at 60 and the other 2 with Red code mains and spiral flex crosses, one at 59, 57 respectively and one at 56,54. I am using a leather grip and have had the pallets changed by RPNY to the wilson shape pallets in 3/8. I also added 4g to the hoop at 12 o'clock and then added 8g in the handled via silicon. It is a little costly to have RPNY change the grip pallets but it was very worth it in the end and I'm extremely glad I did it.

markwillplay
06-13-2008, 09:15 AM
can you share the cost with me? Do they make sure that the balance stays the same? I put 2 strips of lead under my grip and have strips at 3 and 9. they jus about even out and keep the stick about 8-9 pts headlight. I thnk this may be the perfect weight/balance for me with this stick because it still swings light but feels like it has better plowthrough.

TheJRK
06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
I have mine strung with full VS gut at 60lbs.. and they are so money!*

*(Both in terms of playability and price)

Before that I had full Alu Flouro at 57 lbs... also nice, but a tad hard on the arm.

No lead or anything... they are still in their birthday suit as I like to say.

Blade0324
06-13-2008, 10:47 AM
can you share the cost with me? Do they make sure that the balance stays the same? I put 2 strips of lead under my grip and have strips at 3 and 9. they jus about even out and keep the stick about 8-9 pts headlight. I thnk this may be the perfect weight/balance for me with this stick because it still swings light but feels like it has better plowthrough.

It was $60 each for the pallet swap out. They don't put a new grip on or anything for that and it's not a custom handle as those are more $$$. It is basically a pallet like the head pallet only on the shape of the Wilson Grip. It does not change the weight or balance of the racquet either. Roman takes good care with that. Like I said $60 ea. is a little costly but it was so worth it, when I got them back I couldn't believe how good they felt. it's just the best of both worlds for me.

markwillplay
06-14-2008, 05:03 AM
thanks.....

mattyc
06-14-2008, 06:01 AM
I use this,

i use msv hex strung at 56, best racquet i have ever played with.
at first i tried to lead them up because the upper hoop felt really dead, then i got use to the sticks and i now never ever mis the sweet spot. i took all lead off and play with them in stock apart from the addition of a leather grip.

the fact i am the uk distributor of msv hex genuinely does not affect my judgement. i play futures tennis and would not compromise on my equipment. try it and be amazed.

SafintheDjoker
06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Mark, how does the X- One Biphase @ 60 work. I was planning on trying it at the exact tension hoping that it will incease spin, power, and maintain tension and playability. I dont like polys so I want to try a multi.

markwillplay
06-18-2008, 06:33 AM
I decided to take off the lead and just use leather grip. We'll see how it comes along. I think I had too much lead and the stick felt sluggish. anyway, I really like the biphase in this stick. My other one has NRG and it has lost too much tension after a lot of playing. Seems to be flying on me a bit but the biphase is a little firmer without being too firm. I have not had any trouble getting spin with these sticks. In fact, it seems to beg me to hit with tons of spin (too much). I still feel like my serve is not as heavy but I hardly ever double fault and I hit my 2nd serve about the same as my first. I have not really had a chance to play a heavy hitter yet to size up the volleying without lead but I am hoping to do that tonight. I have struggled a little with this stick on slices for some reason and I think it may be the grip shape. I am back to the original shape and am going to leave it and get used to it or not. I actually like it for serves. My slice just seems to be floating too much because the face is too open and I am a little unsure of flatter forhands (the winning kind) but I really need to dial in the stick now as it is.

markwillplay
06-18-2008, 06:36 AM
by the way, you folks that know more about string than I do...would it be fair to say that the biphase or nrg2 (16gauge on this stick) would lose tension from 60 down to the mid 50's? I say this becasue I strung it at 60 to allow for some loss ans I think the stick will play good at 55 or so.

pmerk34
06-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Ok, this is now my stick of choice. I have 2 and one has x-1 byphase and the other has nrg2. both strung originally at 60 so probably mid 50's now. I have lead on the handle and in the hoop. they both weigh in at 12.3 and are 8.5 pts headlight (or very close). I would love to know what strings you loe with this frame and also, if anyone has had the entie grip changed by rpny or one of those companies. I have modified the grip the home made way but adding to the large sides of the pallet makes it a bit too large so its either get used to it or change it completely. love to hear comments on this frame and set up.

Put on a wilson prostaff overgrip and strung it at 56 with Head Sonic Pro. Nice and comfy.