PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Butt Cap Size

kimbahpnam
06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Anything in particular info there needs to be known when installing a 1 size larger butt cap (1/4-3/8 ) while keeping the grip size the same?

kimbahpnam
06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
bump. nothing? just pop on like normal?

deme08
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd put some masking tape around the butt cap area on the bare grip so that the butt cap would secure firmly onto the grip.

bigmatt
06-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Instead of going through all that trouble, why not install some heat shrink sleeve on the butt cap only (building it up one size)? Since it's being put in the area you hold the racquet, swingweight should not be affected.
Another choice would be to use some double-sided tape and put some pieces of overgip on the butt cap until you get the size you like.

kimbahpnam
06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
thanks for the input. i actually got a free buttcap (w/ trap door). In the process I am going to add a fishing weight at the bottom.

But i like the idea of putting a heatshrink underneath the larger size buttcap for support.

Loco4Tennis
08-17-2008, 04:16 AM
when i was done builiing up the grip size on my racquet, i foudn out that the buttcap was too small and could not feel it much when hitting, did not feel confortable
here is what i did to increase the size of the butt cap feel, in my racquet:
these aresome of the tools i used, i forgot to show the standard staple gun i used, and the double sided tape i placed on the butcap to stick the leather patches to the faces
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/NachoNator788/materialsused.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/NachoNator788/enlargedbuttcap.jpg
by the way, i played with it an hour yesterday, no blisters or anything thus far, seems to have worked out well
oh yeah, on the very last picture at the bottom right, the modified butt-cap i increased is the one on the left

kcmiser
08-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Like Loco4Tennis, I also prefer a larger butt area (cue Sir Mix a Lot's "Baby got Back"). I feel I can serve much better if there's enough flare to hold the racquet securely with less tension.

Loco4Tennis's method of increasing the flare is pretty impressive. I went low-tech and just wrapped the butt cap in athletic tape a few times before installing the grip. Worked like a charm.

I think the original post, however, was about using a spare butt cap on a racquet for which it is too large. I've done this, also, and again I resorted to athletic tape. One quick layer around the end of the pallet before installing the cap and now fit tightly.

Loco4Tennis
08-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Like Loco4Tennis, I also prefer a larger butt area (cue Sir Mix a Lot's "Baby got Back"). I feel I can serve much better if there's enough flare to hold the racquet securely with less tension.

Loco4Tennis's method of increasing the flare is pretty impressive. I went low-tech and just wrapped the butt cap in athletic tape a few times before installing the grip. Worked like a charm.

I think the original post, however, was about using a spare butt cap on a racquet for which it is too large. I've done this, also, and again I resorted to athletic tape. One quick layer around the end of the pallet before installing the cap and now fit tightly.

yeah, your right, i was gonna start a new thread on this but decided to just apend it to a simlar thread instead
came across this one when i ran a quick search

as per your idea with the tape, i was thinking about that as well, but i tought it might not be enough, or i might need too much tape to really make it interesting :-)
the leather i found was pretty heffty and it worked out nice
initially i went looking for floor/vynil tile things, you know the pastic stuff some floors have, it has a sticky side to it too, sometimes its thin enough, i tought i would give that a try, but i couldn't find a piece :)

kcmiser
08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
the leather i found was pretty heffty and it worked out nice
initially i went looking for floor/vynil tile things, you know the pastic stuff some floors have, it has a sticky side to it too, sometimes its thin enough, i tought i would give that a try, but i couldn't find a piece :)

Yeah, you can find single squares of vinyl tile at Lowe's or Home Depot. They only run about a buck or so. However, I'm sure that the method you show using leather, while it looks like major pain in the rear to do, is less likely to shift around, and if there is a difference in feel (not sure about that), I'm sure the feel of the leather would be preferable.

Loco4Tennis
08-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah, you can find single squares of vinyl tile at Lowe's or Home Depot. They only run about a buck or so. However, I'm sure that the method you show using leather, while it looks like major pain in the rear to do, is less likely to shift around, and if there is a difference in feel (not sure about that), I'm sure the feel of the leather would be preferable.

i was expecting a struggle as well
but i think the exacto blade i used, made it very easy
the cuts where not presize, infact if oyu look at the shapes of the pieces, they are close to similar, but not exacttly the same
on a side note, i made some grooovy marks on my desk when cutting, but oh well :-D