PDA

View Full Version : Raquet for Improver

damo0000
06-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Hi,

Just getting back into tennis after not playing for around 10 years. I bought a new raquet in a rush based on little more that what was in stock and about the right grip size.

I ended up with Wilson nCode n6, 100sq in headsize.
http://www.wilson.eu/sport/index.php?id=196&pro_id=1037

I'm playing around 4 times a week, having coaching once a week and improving well.

My question is should I look at my racquet and apply a little more thought to the selection of one now I have more time to research?

I'm happy to buy another if it will help and all raquets i've seen are within reach financially though of course I dont want to shell out for nothing.

I prefer playing from the baseline, have a 2 handed back hand and can get a decent amount of top spin and generally good length.

All suggestions welcome!

njjohan
06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Pure Drive + is great for social and competitive play at pretty much any level 3.0 up.

L4RZ
06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Or a donnay os, that way youll have to take full swings at the ball.

Doc Hollidae
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Pure Drive + is great for social and competitive play at pretty much any level 3.0 up.

I concur with this suggestion. All though most rackets in the "Game Improvement" category are usually granny sticks or ladies-league rackets, I consider the Pure Drive to be the #1 game improvement racket in the market.

Spokewench
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I concur with this suggestion. All though most rackets in the "Game Improvement" category are usually granny sticks or ladies-league rackets, I consider the Pure Drive to be the #1 game improvement racket in the market.

The fact that I have a Pure Drive and a am a lady and in my 40's - does that mean that the Pure Drive is a granny stick or a ladies-league racket? It's a bad thing to be a lady? :-?

Doc Hollidae
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
The fact that I have a Pure Drive and a am a lady and in my 40's - does that mean that the Pure Drive is a granny stick or a ladies-league racket? It's a bad thing to be a lady? :-?

Never said the Pure Drive was a granny stick of ladies league stick. I said that I consider the Pure Drive to be the #1 Game Improvement racket on the market.

Most people associate the term, "game improvement rackets," with rackets such as the Speedport Platinum or the Head Metallix, which are in turned viewed as granny or ladies league sticks. Nothing wrong with being a lady or playing with those types of rackets, never said there was.

Not fulltime player
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Prince O3 White.

baek57
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
if you like it, use it. if you dont, dont.

damo0000
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
How about Microgel Prestige with same size (100cm) head? Would that suit me? Have read good things about it on this forum.

meowmix
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
The n6-2 MP is actually not that bad a racket. Considering that you just got back into tennis, I'd say you're fine. The n6-2 packs some nice punch, and you can get plenty of spin out of it. It doesn't really excel at anything, except volleys (due to the low swingweight, making it super maneuverable) and kick serves (for much the same reason). Stay with the racket for a little longer before you shell out an extra 100 bucks. You'll be fine, provided you don't break the racket in half :)

damo0000
06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
hey, thanks for the reply. i've been thinking the same but strangely i think the raquet is too light? it seems hard for me to get my forehand right, though maybe thats just rust...
waiting a few months prob aint a bad idea...

netman
06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
hey, thanks for the reply. i've been thinking the same but strangely i think the raquet is too light? it seems hard for me to get my forehand right, though maybe thats just rust...
waiting a few months prob aint a bad idea...

H-m-m-m-m. Ten years has seen a lot of tech change in racquets. A good rule of thumb is to figure out what the specs were on the last frame you used extensively, then try to find something modern that comes close. What were using before your hiatus?

-k-

damo0000
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi, you know I cant even remember, it was at uni, was some kind of wilson racket, not expensive or anything. to give you an idea of the time a friend of mine had a "hammer" with a really wide head, i dont think they still do these?!!

The n6 does seem really light, i put it on some scales and it only came to around 240g.

Syfo-Dias
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM

And the #1 elbow destroyer on the market as well. :)

meowmix
06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi, you know I cant even remember, it was at uni, was some kind of wilson racket, not expensive or anything. to give you an idea of the time a friend of mine had a "hammer" with a really wide head, i dont think they still do these?!!

The n6 does seem really light, i put it on some scales and it only came to around 240g.

One sec, are you talking about the n6 MP or the n6-2 MP? Those are VASTLY different rackets. If you've got the n6 MP, I'd advise getting something new. Last I played with it, it felt highly unstable and I had a very "unfun" time hitting with it. It also is extremely light, around 10 ounces if I remember correctly.

The n6-2 MP is a different story altogether. That's a pretty good frame, and one that will be fine.

Djokovicfan4life
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
The O3 white is like one giant sweet spot, definitely give it a try. Plus if you like it you can still use it when you improve (hey, it works for Sharapova and Jankovic). :)

damo0000
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
And the #1 elbow destroyer on the market as well. :)

Interested, why is this racket an "elbow destroyer"? What makes a raquet bad on the elbow?

damo0000
06-04-2008, 11:26 PM
One sec, are you talking about the n6 MP or the n6-2 MP? Those are VASTLY different rackets. If you've got the n6 MP, I'd advise getting something new. Last I played with it, it felt highly unstable and I had a very "unfun" time hitting with it. It also is extremely light, around 10 ounces if I remember correctly.

The n6-2 MP is a different story altogether. That's a pretty good frame, and one that will be fine.

Hmm, thats a good question. I've had a look at the specs on the raquet and here they are. It doesnt actaully say n6-2. And I realise I was mistaken when I said it was a 100sq in head. See below.

Tension: 24.28kg 53.63lb
Weight: 260g 9.2oz
Headsize: 665cm 103in
String Pattern: 16x20
Si: 6.0
Balance: 35cm pt. HHI

Does thats shed any light on it? It does say n6 on the frame where the strings are and also "Mid" towards the top.

Thanks in advance

meowmix
06-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Yup, that's a n6 MP, and that's a racket that I strongly dislike. It's light, head heavy, and WAY TOO POWERFUL. I really disliked the frame. It's probably about an ounce lighter than the racket you were playing with 10 years ago. Since you're feeling it's too light (and it is), I think it's time to switch.

If you can, demo from TW. Demoing four rackets costs 12 bucks, and that includes shipping to and from your home. I'd put the following rackets on a demo list- note that all of the following are under 90 bucks making these rackets very cost friendly:

Prince O3 Shark MP
Wilson nTour
Head LM4
Dunlop M-fil 300

urbo73
06-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Interested, why is this racket an "elbow destroyer"? What makes a raquet bad on the elbow?

I assume because it's very, very stiff. At least I found it that way when I was demoing. The Babolat PD was easy to use, light, but way too stiff.

Bad for the elbow?

Low weight <315g or so
Not head light enough
Too stiff (more than 65 or so)

damo0000
06-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Yup, that's a n6 MP, and that's a racket that I strongly dislike. It's light, head heavy, and WAY TOO POWERFUL. I really disliked the frame. It's probably about an ounce lighter than the racket you were playing with 10 years ago. Since you're feeling it's too light (and it is), I think it's time to switch.

If you can, demo from TW. Demoing four rackets costs 12 bucks, and that includes shipping to and from your home. I'd put the following rackets on a demo list- note that all of the following are under 90 bucks making these rackets very cost friendly:

Prince O3 Shark MP
Wilson nTour
Head LM4
Dunlop M-fil 300

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I'm in the UK so demo'ing from TW is not possible. I do have a local shop and can get a hold of (but not demo) a few rackets, these would be:

Babolat Aero Prodrive, Pure drive and most of the range I think
Wilson K factor range
Head Prestige range (and flexpoint I think)
Prince O3 range

Any suggestions within those parameters?

Thanks in advance....

meowmix
06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I assume you don't want to shell out too much, so I'll continue to recommend low priced rackets from TW. I'd recommend buying from them, because even AFTER shipping, the price will still probably be a little cheaper than what you'd be paying in the UK.

The Prince O3 Shark MP is in the O3 range. I don't know if the shop still has it, as it's being discontinued.

Out of the flexpoints, I'd try the Flexpoint Instinct and Flexpoint Radical MP. Two very good, solid frames that'll help you advance quite well.

The babolats are just way too expensive. You can get 3 Dunlop Maxply McEnroe for the price of a single Aeropro Drive Cortex. To me, it's just not worth it.

Same thing with the Wilsons. You can demo the KTour, since it has a feel similar to that of the nTour, but the nTour is half the price of the kTour, and plays very similarly.

FloridaAG
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I think you should try the Prince Hybrid Hornet as well- it is potentially a good racket for you.

damo0000
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I assume you don't want to shell out too much, so I'll continue to recommend low priced rackets from TW. I'd recommend buying from them, because even AFTER shipping, the price will still probably be a little cheaper than what you'd be paying in the UK.

The Prince O3 Shark MP is in the O3 range. I don't know if the shop still has it, as it's being discontinued.

Out of the flexpoints, I'd try the Flexpoint Instinct and Flexpoint Radical MP. Two very good, solid frames that'll help you advance quite well.

The babolats are just way too expensive. You can get 3 Dunlop Maxply McEnroe for the price of a single Aeropro Drive Cortex. To me, it's just not worth it.

Same thing with the Wilsons. You can demo the KTour, since it has a feel similar to that of the nTour, but the nTour is half the price of the kTour, and plays very similarly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look. Budgets not really a problem, would that widen your suggestion. I just want to find a raquet that will last me a good few years without needing to change...

Syfo-Dias
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM

It's gained a reputation for giving people tennis elbow, mostly due to it's high stiffness. Of course, other factors like technique and string type play into that as well. But if you string a Pure Drive with Poly, you're asking for elbow problems.